Multichannel SACDs on a two-channel player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Milne, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

SACD seems to be going multichannel these days. Unfortunately my player doesn't have multichannel capability (Sony 9000ES). What happens when I play a multichannel SACD? It seems that if only the front L-R channels are reproduced, a significant portion of the recording will be missing. Do these discs contain a DSD "layer" with everything remixed to stereo? Or am I getting some sort of upconverted 16bit/44.1 KHz data?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Dave, it should be disk dependant. Most all SACD's have a high resolution 2 channel stereo SACD layer that your player should be playing. How are you feeding the audio outputs from the player? You need to be going to a fully bypassed preamp input or you may then get an upconverted mix (but that is probably dependent on how you set your 9000es up).

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Thanks Charles. That's kinda what I thought. That means there are actually three programs on every disc:

multichannel DSD
    stereo DSD
    Redbook CD (for compatibility with conventional players)

I am running both digital and analog to my pre-pro (Lexicon MC-12). For redbook CDs, I select the "CD" input which I have programmed to use the digital input. For SACDs, I select the "LD" input which is programmed for full analog bypass. Of course, this means I give up bass management on SACDs but since I have reasonably full range front L-R (-3dB @ 32Hz in-room), it's not a big problem.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Dave,

Stereo is required for SACD. Multi-channel and Redbook CD are optional.

Regards,

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

John is correct. Until recently, all Sony-issued SACDs are single layer discs, which means you can't play them in a regular CD player or DVD player.