Multichannel music - surround speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, May 29, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

What is the ideal placement of the surround speakers, for multichannel music? Assume monopole speakers.
    I'm assuming that optimal placement is different than movie placement. For movies, we want the surrounds to be as diffuse as possible, so we place them above the listening area, use dipole, etc, etc. I'm guessing that with multichannel music, we want directional surrounds.
    So where do you put them? How high? Do you point them at the center of the listening area, or do you want to point them at the outside "corners" of the listening area? How do you compensate for the back of the couch in all of this?
    I imagine that there's no one correct answer (we can't agree on speaker placement for 2 channel [​IMG]), but perhaps you could describe your implementation, if it's working out well for you.
    Thanks,
    Martin.

2. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

It is preferred that the side channels be slightly in front of the listener so that first reflection imaging would be better reproduced.
    Here is a image of how it should be laid out:
    [​IMG]
    Chesky's 6ch SACD recommends you put the side speakers at the first reflection point.

3. Martin Rendall

ling_w,

Great picture! Thanks! Not what I expected to see.

A couple of questions about this arrangement. First, what if I only have 2 surrounds instead of 4. How does that vary the placement? Second, could/should the rear two surrounds be dipole? I'm thinking that a source that far behind the listener may not need to be so directional... If so, then this arrangement could also service HT requirements (by disabling the forward surrounds during movie watching).

Thanks,
    Martin.

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Here is how the recommended 5.1 setup would be for music:
    [​IMG]
    I think rear speakers should be direct radiators, since rear imaging might still be required.
    If the rear are for ambiance only, cutting off the high freq would make them less localizable.

5. Martin Rendall

Thanks! Great info.

Martin.