What's new

Multichannel audio discs (DTS/DVD-A/SACD) question (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I was in a local store in the detroit area (dearborn music) and saw for the 1st time multichannel audio discs. It was nice to inspect the package to see what was on them.

One question I have is that there were some DTS-CD's. Are these still being made, or are they being phased out in favor od the DVD-A/SACD??

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
For those without a DVD-A machine, you can play a DTS DVD-A on a regular DVD-video player. The DVD-A track is on one layer, and the DTS track is on the other layer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill asked:

whats the difference between a DVD-A, and a DTS DVD-A?
DVD-Audio is a high-resolution format that exceeds the sound quality of the CD. In addition, as you have found out, DVD-Audio offers surround sound. As has been said, DTS Entertainment has released some DVD-Audio discs. These discs offer DTS tracks for playback on DVD-Video players in addition to high-resolution DVD-Audio tracks that can only be played on DVD-Audio players. Other record labels have released DVD-Audio discs with Dolby Digital and/or DTS tracks for playback on DVD-Video players. Including Dolby Digital and/or DTS tracks is a smart move on the part of the record labels. One has to figure that the installed base of DVD-Audio players is rather small these days relative to DVD-Video players. So, it makes sense to make the discs backwards-compatible with DVD-Video players.

As for DTS CDs, they are no longer made, as Daryl said. I have been hoping that DTS Entertainment would release the excellent pop/rock DTS CD titles on DVD-Audio, but it hasn't happened yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale