What's new

MULTIamping a Pioneer VSX-D812K HT amp (1 Viewer)

sendmorebrains

Auditioning
Real Name
Jude
HI !

Currently my set up has the D812K driving my 7.1 set and 3 other amps chained on the SUB OUT jack running my 8 various sized subs ( 12"woofers x2 )(12"x2)(10"x2)(8"x2)

Heres why Im asking:
I can get access to 4 identical integrated amps running @ 200w total w/ pre ins & outs RCA jacks in the rear of them.

Hence I can use the 4 amps to run fronts-centre-surround sides-surround rears by hooking all of them up to the rear of the D812-K.

QUESTION:

1. Would I notice a significant change in sound quality using the 4 amps instead of using the D812K amp ? In other words is this set up worth the pain to wire and install ?

2. Would wiring this way allow me to still use the volume control on the D812K for all 4 amps hooked up to the D812K ?

Just to give you a bigger picture as to why Im thinking adding the 4 amps - my entire HT set right now is:

Monitor:

Toshiba 62HM94 62" DLP

Audio Receivers’:

7.1 AVR Pioneer VSX-D812K (100w x 7) Powering Front L&R speakers - 2 Center speakers – 2 Side L&R – 2 Rear L&R speakers

Pioneer VDX5000 (100w x2) Powering 2 – 12” subs 4cubic foot boxes (30hz) in the rear of sofa.

Sherwood RX-4103 (105w x 2) Powering 2-12” subs 2.8 cubic foot boxes (30-60hz) front

Kenwood KR A4020 (80w x2) Powering 2 – 10” subs 2 cubic foot (40-80hz) & 2- 8” subs(40-90hz) front & sides

Left & Right Speakers Home Built w/ 1” MDF & bracing Vifa 1”tweeters 6” Vifa Mids

Centre Speakers: Technics 110w & Polk Audio CSi25 100w

Gaming/Entertainment Media Consuls:

ASiD HDMI 3 imput remote Digital Switch box

HP Digital Entertainment Z-540 – DVD-R, 160g x2

Satellite – Captain 8000HD 600 plus channels + 40 HD stream channels (hacked open)

DVD –Toshiba SD 4990 up converting to 1080i

Sony PS3 – 60g w/ Blu-Ray Player

Xbox Elite 360 120g drive

Nintendo Wii

LogiTech Harmony 550 remote to tie all the loose ends up.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is probably very little to gain by running any of the surround speakers through the other amps. The front three may be a different matter. It depends on if the integrated amps have amp inputs, not just regular pre-amp inputs. Meaning, inputs which go directly to the power amp section, completely bypassing the pre-amp. That would be an unusual, but not unheard of feature. If you run them to a pre-amp input, you will be running the signal through the pre-amp when it doesn't need to be, and the resulting loss of sound quality will most likely defeat any benefit of having the more powerful amp.

Finally, putting (a lot) less credance to power ratings will be a benefit. They are mostly meaningless. Also, I doubt having all those subs is a good idea. You are probably better off picking the 1 or 2 best units and sticking with them only. You must have a standing wave nightmare with 8 subs.

sendmorebrains

Auditioning
Real Name
Jude
HEY

Standing Wave nightmare ?

????

Odd been using this setup now since last Apr. 07 and have it playing on high levels w/ blu ray to HD stream vids - musics vids etc.

The effect moves the air w/bass. Bass levels are set so they are heard and felt - undistorted.

SO what am I suppose to look for in a standing wave ? Like i said Ive played a blu-ray of Pearl Harbour things go boom and bang when the attack is in progress - not noticed anything unusual - should I ?

Please enlighten me

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Jude

Standing waves happen when the frequency from one sub cancels out the same frequency from another sub. This can also be caused by room dimensions, furniture and so forth. In reality that many subs is unlikely to give you optimum sound.

If you haven't calibrated your system I highly recommend you get a radio shack analog sound meter and a calibration disc. This will let you maximize your setup for the room you are using. If you haven't done this you will be amazed at how much it improves the sound.

I would suggest starting with your best 2 subs and adding more in. This will let you know where they may be hurting you or helping you. Generally with more than 2 subs you will find frequencies where you are losing sound as well as frequencies where you are getting far too much sound.

Good luck!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Standing waves aside, if you have one or two decent subs, there is simply no way that adding a couple sub-standard subs to the mix will ever improve things.

After this most recent (the next) post from OP, I have to wonder why anyone ever tries to lend any help.

sendmorebrains

Auditioning
Real Name
Jude
John ASSumes....

"Also, I doubt having all those subs is a good idea. You are probably better off picking the 1 or 2 best units and sticking with them only. You must have a standing wave nightmare with 8 subs."

Its true you should doubt some of your assumptions.

After some further research:

I quote:

Even Number of Subwoofers Works Best
Two or four subwoofers deliver the greatest benefits in smoothing out irregular bass for multiple listening seats. According to Todd Welti, an associate of Dr. Toole’s, whose white paper, "Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations," explored in detail multiple subwoofer performance: “The conclusion I came to was that two subwoofers give you about 90% of the performance that is possible, and that four take you about as far as you can reasonably expect to go. Anything more than four is not going to get you much in the general sense -- and these are general conclusions.”

So like No thanks to your close minded opinion - but then opinions are not always based on facts or in your case assumptions.

2 of my larger 12" subs are firing into my sofa so its felt thru the chest - while my 4 other subs are below my 2 ways speakers thus blending the mids and hi freq.

the 2 other smaller subs are behind another sofa and under a cpu table. Checked with meter and with room dimensions and furnitures bass is not boomy. Used a reference BLU ray "David Gilmore - Remember That Night" - Played Time and it Rocked the room with authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks