Multi Zone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mike>r, Jul 3, 2005.

1. mike>r

mike>r Extra

I'm currently using an H/K 310 as a pre/pro with an outlaw 755 amp.Both are only 5 channel capable which is fine for my 5.1 speaker set-up.I would like to add 2 speakers on my patio.The h/k has multi zone capabilities and since its amps are not in use how can use its own amps for zone 2,it has no a/b switch?

Mike

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

3. mike>r

mike>r Extra

Scottchi,
    Thanks for the link,but I've gone over my own manuel and the answer I was looking for does not exist in their pages[​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Zone 2 is not handled with an A-B switch, it is handled with a Zone 2 switch... With the Onkyo I recently installed, it would only accept stereo analog, no digital. Check to see if the manual says zone 2 is powered. If not, you cannot assign amps to it. You could use the internal surround amps and drive your zone with the 2 channels that would be available on the 755.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Simple, just connect the patio speakers to the HK’s front L/R speaker connections. That seems painfully obvious, so maybe I’m missing something...

Now, if you want a separate source for the patio, that’s a different situation. The HK can do that, but that signal is only available through the Multiroom Output jacks (manual, pg. 34). Those would have to be fed to a separate amp. Either that or reconfigure your system to utilize two of the HK’s internal amps, which would leave two channels of the Outlaw vacant and available for the Multiroom feed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Zone 2 is usually a separate amp output, sort of replacing the "B" speaker selection that also allows the use of a different source than what is playing in the main system. Using the front R&L will only allow him to listen to the same thing inside and out, at the same time. I don't know if that capability is important or not. It also means that anytime you turn on the system, the outside speakers will be on without using some sort of switch.

7. mike>r

mike>r Extra

Thanks for all the replies,
    I pretty much have my options and just need to decide which way to go.I like the way the Outlaw 755 drives my main system and i really don't want to change that around.And I already tried to connect the patio speakers to the front channels of the H/K,and like John says they're constantly on.So I guess I'll probably try and find a cheap 2 channel amp and go that route.I also plan to upgrade the H/K in the near future and completely go separates no receiver.
    Thanks again everybody
    Mike

8. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I use the sonic impact T-amp for my patio 2nd zone off my Sony 3000ES receiver. The little amp drives my JBL S36II PM's to very acceptable listening levels and the sound quality is great. I didnt see what type of speakers you have on your patio but if they are even relatively efficient then this little amp may work well for you too. I used a 14v power supply which is not included, and from what I have read about the T-amp the higher the voltage (within reason) the higher the potential output. Parts express shows a 13.5V power supply that would probably work well, I just found one in my box of old electronics stuff that works fine. I leave it powered on all the time and the on amp volume turned about 90% up, I then control the volume with the receivers remote. Downsides are the cheap construction of the litte amp makes good connections difficult, the speaker terminals are small spring clips. I was able to get 14 gauge wire to fit with a little finessing.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...2&ctab=14#Tabs

9. mike>r

mike>r Extra

ClintS,
    That sounds like what i need,my patio speakers are Polk Audio Atrium 45's and are very efficent.

Thanks
    Mike