What's new

Multi User Account On 4K AppleTV? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Dave Moritz I don't think you fully understand how the Dolby Digital Plus core works in Atmos. You ca't compare it to plain old 5.1 DD.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus Dolby Digital Plus has been updated and features a new decoder capable of processing content encoded for Dolby Atmos. This module uses new bitstream metadata to extract Dolby Atmos object-based audio and outputs this information for further signal processing. The sampling rate for Dolby Atmos content is 48 kHz, the same sample rate as for Dolby Digital Plus content.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-digital-plus.html

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus Dolby Digital Plus has been updated and features a new decoder capable of processing content encoded for Dolby Atmos. This module uses new bitstream metadata to extract Dolby Atmos object-based audio and outputs this information for further signal processing. The sampling rate for Dolby Atmos content is 48 kHz, the same sample rate as for Dolby Digital Plus content.

Sam that is not something from my post.

But this is my understanding that both Dolby Atmos and DTS-X function about the same. They are both at the core channel based 5, 6 or 7 channel surround formats. The immersive height channels are not channel based but object based and are basically an extension which is not seen by older surround processors that only have Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio making it backwards compatible. It is also my understanding that Auro 3D is channel based not object based unless there is a difference between commercial Auro and consumer Auro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam that is not something from my post.

It's from Dolby's page, which is why I believe you don't understand how Atmos over DDP works. Yes, it's lossy but it's significantly higher quality than standard DD and, also from the article:
In the case of the home theater, every sound in the mix is represented as an audio object.
The flexibility of Dolby Atmos object-based sound makes it incredibly adaptable. A Dolby Atmos movie can be played back on nearly any speaker configuration in the home. You’ll be able to hear the placement and movement of sound in a Dolby Atmos movie whether you have a system with five speakers on the floor and two overhead or 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead (the current maximum for a Dolby Atmos supersystem) or any variety between. The more speakers you have, the more precise the audio positioning becomes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dolby Atmos is object based at the production stage. Maybe at the theatrical playback implementation.

But not at the consumer hardware or AppleTV realm? It’s been rendered and smashed down to explicit multitrack?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sometime people don’t want to understand. They’re set in their ways and beliefs and nothing will change that no matter how much evidence is shown them.
And I just watched a documentary on Flat Earthers on Netflix where this quote couldn’t be more true. :lol:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It's from Dolby's page, which is why I believe you don't understand how Atmos over DDP works. Yes, it's lossy but it's significantly higher quality than standard DD and, also from the article:

I have a decent idea on how it works and I mentioned regular Dolby Digital not Dolby Digital +. And I know both a lossy! So is DTS. Not even sure how DD+ even came into the conversation to begin with? And what does DD have to do with Atmos? Nothing really.

This is my understanding, Dolby TrueHD is a lossless audio codec that supports up to eight audio channels on Blu-ray Disc. ... While Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD are two separate soundtrack formats, Atmos data on Ultra HD Blu-ray is actually an extension to TrueHD that is folded into the bitstream to maintain backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, that's not true at all @Dave Moritz please go read the linked .pdf. On streaming services Atmos tracks are in Dolby Digital Plus base layer. On disks they can use that or a dolby true hd base layer. In fact if you get the dolby demo disk you can hear them both and decide for yourself if the difference matters to you.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
No, that's not true at all @Dave Moritz please go read the linked .pdf. On streaming services Atmos tracks are in Dolby Digital Plus base layer. On disks they can use that or a dolby true hd base layer. In fact if you get the dolby demo disk you can hear them both and decide for yourself if the difference matters to you.

I have yet to even stream anything in Atmos yet. Still need to replace the cat6 cable to my home theater, something I need to do soon. And since I almost never stream any of my digital versions from Vudu I am not even sure how many titles have Atmos on Vudu? I will add a Apple TV later this year and I guess I will find out then on the quality of the audio for myself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you talking about Atmos tracks in DD+ on Vudu or iTunes or both? When I turned off Dolby Atmos when using my AppleTV it converts Dolby TrueHD on iTunes. On Vudu, Dolby Atmos is derived from DD+.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Are you talking about Atmos tracks in DD+ on Vudu or iTunes or both? When I turned off Dolby Atmos when using my AppleTV it converts Dolby TrueHD on iTunes. On Vudu, Dolby Atmos is derived from DD+.

I have not had my Samsung 4K blu-ray player hooked up to the network in months so I have not have not streamed any movies since I purchased my current Marantz SR-8012. So I do not know what it defaults to and I think it defaulted to Dolby Digital + with the Pioneer Elite SC-05 that only had Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital +, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS. And I have yet to own Apple TV in any flavor. Sometime later this year I will most likely purchase a 4K Apple TV 64GB from Best Buy. I look forward to renting some movies on Apple TV and see how it works out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sometime later this year I will most likely purchase a 4K Apple TV 64GB from Best Buy

Do you intend to use the AppleTV to play games? If not, you can purchase the 32gb version and save a few bucks. The functionality on both devices is identical, and the 32gb has more than enough space to download the apps for the different streaming services. The larger one is really targeted towards gamers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Actually no games will be played on the Apple TV. I only play games on my pc and that has a 43" LG 4K display with an EVGA video card that does 4K as well. Thanks Josh that is very good to know. I will get the 32gb as you suggest! Have a few other things I want to pick up first but I will get the 32 instead of the 64.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No problem - I have the 32gb version myself. Best streaming device I’ve ever owned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sometime later this year I will most likely purchase a 4K Apple TV 64GB from Best Buy. I look forward to renting some movies on Apple TV and see how it works out.

Keep an eye on the sale prices -- sometimes it's as little as a dollar more to buy the streaming version of the movie versus its rental price. I have picked up quite a few HD films for $4.99, and the rental price is usually either $3.99 or $2.99. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, if you select the "no rush" shipping option at checkout, you can sometimes get a $1 credit towards a digital purchase added to your account. I accumulate these and apply them towards movie rentals -- I've rented quite a few films for free this way.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Not to mention buying digital codes, which can be LESS than a rental, and then you get to keep the movie...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Keep an eye on the sale prices -- sometimes it's as little as a dollar more to buy the streaming version of the movie versus its rental price. I have picked up quite a few HD films for $4.99, and the rental price is usually either $3.99 or $2.99. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, if you select the "no rush" shipping option at checkout, you can sometimes get a $1 credit towards a digital purchase added to your account. I accumulate these and apply them towards movie rentals -- I've rented quite a few films for free this way.
That's when I'll buy titles that aren't available on disc, or those I have an interest in seeing, but don't necessarily feel the need to own - when they're priced basically the same as a rental. That way, even if iTunes goes under sometime down the road, I'll still feel like I got my money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks