What's new

Multi User Account On 4K AppleTV? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Is it possible to have multiple user accounts on a 4K appletv? Currently not looking to get one but am keeping an open mind to add one later after I get other things that are more important to me. Have been upgrading my home theater so other things come first. But if I was to get one mostly for renting movies can access more than one account on the appletv? For example if my sister comes over and wants to access her library on my appletv?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It won't let you have multiple accounts at the same time, but you can sign out and sign back in as another user.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Most streaming services have multiple accounts within them, which can help cope with lack of aTV-wide accounts.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It won't let you have multiple accounts at the same time, but you can sign out and sign back in as another user.

That works for me so if my sister was to come over and want to log into her account we could watch a movie she has or if she wants to rent a movie on her account. I am seriously going to consider adding a Apple TV after a few other purchases. I know I said I did not see myself getting one just like I said I wouldn't buy an LG TV, rofl. :lol: But it looks like there will be an Apple TV being added to the home theater after all and I also will need a network switch and a few cables.

So what is everyone's thoughts on picture quality, sound quality and the amount of lossless and Atmos content? Is there any word on IMAX enhanced content coming to Apple TV?

imperialto

Agent
Real Name
mike
i have 7 apple tvs, 4 in use in different rooms and at parents house. All under 1 account, all have access to all movies i’ve gotten on here!!! Great way to share disney movies for kids. But yea with MA, YT, and VUDU pretty easy to log in and out for multiple acccounts

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I will be ok with lossy for rentals but do not purchase movies in lossy dolby digital.

Your 'Loss' =)

Seriously tho, the vast majority of movies do not benefit significantly from lossless audio and I'd be surprised if even the average HTFer could tell the difference in a dialogue driven movie. I just got the 4K UHD of Wonder on iTunes for $3. Seems like a worthy trade off to me.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is there even such a thing as “lossless” video?
A raw 4K scan of 35mm could be considered lossless, but it eats up about 40 terabytes of space for a two-hour movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Your 'Loss' =)

Seriously tho, the vast majority of movies do not benefit significantly from lossless audio and I'd be surprised if even the average HTFer could tell the difference in a dialogue driven movie. I just got the 4K UHD of Wonder on iTunes for $3. Seems like a worthy trade off to me.

I do not see it as a loss and it is ok your ok with DD. From time to time I break down and watch a movie on DVD with 5.1 dolby digital and I hate the sound. I hated DD with my Yamaha RX-V995 then with my Pioneer Elite SC-05 and even with the Marantz SR-8012 I still find DD lacking. And why spend money on a $3K Marantz SR-8012 only to turn around and listen to a 5.1 dolby digital track? Don't get me wrong $3 for Wonder on iTunes is a bargain so a dolby digital track on a $3 purchase is ok. A number of people here are buying digital content and they are happy with the dd audio. But I feel there is a difference enough to want that option and to have it on a disc as well. Don't take me as a Dobly hater because I love Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos and even Dolby Vision! When I purchase a movie now I do not care if it is Dolby or DTS as long as it is lossless or immersive! And yes I have changed my mind and sometime after I buy my new Klipsch RC-64 lll center and Sony UBP-X800M2 4K player I will purchase a 4K Apple TV. However for the near future it will only be for renting content not buying digital.

IMG_2353a.jpg

I Support Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-X! And if I could get content in Auro 3D I would buy that content as well!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do not see it as a loss and it is ok your ok with DD. From time to time I break down and watch a movie on DVD with 5.1 dolby digital and I hate the sound. I hated DD with my Yamaha RX-V995 then with my Pioneer Elite SC-05 and even with the Marantz SR-8012 I still find DD lacking. And why spend money on a $3K Marantz SR-8012 only to turn around and listen to a 5.1 dolby digital track? Don't get me wrong $3 for Wonder on iTunes is a bargain so a dolby digital track on a $3 purchase is ok. A number of people here are buying digital content and they are happy with the dd audio. But I feel there is a difference enough to want that option and to have it on a disc as well. Don't take me as a Dobly hater because I love Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos and even Dolby Vision! When I purchase a movie now I do not care if it is Dolby or DTS as long as it is lossless or immersive! And yes I have changed my mind and sometime after I buy my new Klipsch RC-64 lll center and Sony UBP-X800M2 4K player I will purchase a 4K Apple TV. However for the near future it will only be for renting content not buying digital.

View attachment 55720

I Support Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-X! And if I could get content in Auro 3D I would buy that content as well!
To each his own, but I'm happy I'm not as restrictive in my home theater enjoyment as I love too many older classic films to be such a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks