multi room vs multi channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe rizzuto, Jul 1, 2002.

1. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

my reciever has a feature called multi channel input which i cannot figure out (how does it work?) vs my old reciever which has multi room, that was easy to figure out and i used it often to have music all over the house. i need help, what am i missing here with multi channel input?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. joe rizzuto

thanks vince, it's starting to make sense.
    i actually did read the primer when i first started to post here, great info btw, but did not find anything that fit the question for me. if i understand u, this is a forward looking feature for another hardware source for future use, like a sacd player, for example. yes?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep.

There are basically 2 ways of connecting any "multichannel" audio source to your receiver. The main way is digitally- like how most people connect their DVD player. This passes the audio signal as a digital stream to the receiver and the receiver decodes it.

But what happens if you have a digital source that is supplying a signal that your receiver has no decoder to handle?

Well- in that case - you have to decode the signal before the receiver- and send the receiver the decoded six channel analog lines to be amplified.

This, like you said, it a forward thinking option allowing you to handle new digital multichannel formats that were not around when the receiver was designed (SACD, DVD-A, ETC.).

-Vince

5. joe rizzuto

i have seen the light, thanks

hey, the voices have stopped now, great...