1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

multi room vs multi channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe rizzuto, Jul 1, 2002.

1. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

my reciever has a feature called multi channel input which i cannot figure out (how does it work?) vs my old reciever which has multi room, that was easy to figure out and i used it often to have music all over the house. i need help, what am i missing here with multi channel input?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. joe rizzuto

thanks vince, it's starting to make sense.
    i actually did read the primer when i first started to post here, great info btw, but did not find anything that fit the question for me. if i understand u, this is a forward looking feature for another hardware source for future use, like a sacd player, for example. yes?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep.

There are basically 2 ways of connecting any "multichannel" audio source to your receiver. The main way is digitally- like how most people connect their DVD player. This passes the audio signal as a digital stream to the receiver and the receiver decodes it.

But what happens if you have a digital source that is supplying a signal that your receiver has no decoder to handle?

Well- in that case - you have to decode the signal before the receiver- and send the receiver the decoded six channel analog lines to be amplified.

This, like you said, it a forward thinking option allowing you to handle new digital multichannel formats that were not around when the receiver was designed (SACD, DVD-A, ETC.).

-Vince

5. joe rizzuto

i have seen the light, thanks

hey, the voices have stopped now, great...