Multi-room system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric_L, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

My brother-in-law, Brian, had a HK AVR 325 that was stolen a few months ago from his vacation home. I am considering replacing it for him as a returned favor. I thought I'd run a few questions past this forum first.

He has a multi-room system, which I am not too familiar with. Each room has it's own volume control on the wall.

I frankly find the multi-room benefit questionable at best. Not too often that I want to listen to CDs in one room and DVD surround in another.

Do I need to replace his system with a multi-room box or could I just hook up the multi-speakers to an amp with speakers a/b? Come to think of it, I'm not even sure they make a/b speaker switches anymore... Maybe I have no other option...

I can't help but think he got sold more of a system than he really needs. He is not an audiophile, but he does have money. For comparison his TV is a $300 Magnavox with component input only.

2. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

You'd better do something with zone 2 outputs, if he's not using a stereo receiver or multi-channel amp to power the other zones. Both Yamaha and Denon have powered zone 2 outputs pretty low in their line-up(starting with the 1905 in the Denon line and the 650 in Yamaha). Multi-zone is cool, my wife and I will use ours quite a bit.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I wonder if the H/K AVR-325 was connected using the A-Bus system for the multi-room capabilities?

If so, this might limit your choice of replacement receivers - in order to remain compatible with the rest of the multi-room wiring in the house.

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'll have to pull his wall unit to see. (groan) I'll report back tonight - presuming I don't get a hernia.