multi-room support / Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have the Denon 3802. I know it has multi-zone support, but I dont think im too clear on what that means. Does it mean I can listen/get access to two different things at once(i.e. listen to a cd outside while someone is watching a movie inside)?
    Or are there limits? OR does it just mean that I can have B speakers plugged in but I have to listen to the same thing in both rooms.
    I just built a deck in the backyard and want to hookup some speakers out there. Thats why I ask.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    anthony

2. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

also, if i have the B speakers plugged in, can I still have the rear centers working in the main living room? Or is it either or?
    thanks
    anthony

3. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

The 3802 has totally seperate speaker outputs for a second zone, but you can only have them, or the rear center speakers, not both. However, if you have an external amp, you can send a low level signal AND keep your rear center speakers. Also, you can STILL have two sets of surround speakers hooked up (for the A or B surround speakers) as those are independent of the multi zone and rear center hookups.
    There is a setup option that allows you to assign the speaker outputs to either surround back, or mutli, and the receiver does the rest. If you are using the low level outputs, you can tell the receiver to make those outputs fixed, or variable in volume control, so that the 3802 controls the volume of the other amp.
    I have speakers on my patio, and only a 5.1 setup, so it works perfectly for me. I can be watching a moving in 5.1 surround sound, and have the radio playing at totally seperate volumes out on the patio. I won't be moving into 7.1 anytime soon, so I got the 3802 with a 2nd zone in mind.
    Some caveats to remember - there is no way to "turn off" the 2nd zone, unless you have a volume control for the 2nd zone speakers (which I do in the wall). But you can just turn the volume all the way down for the 2nd zone on the receiver which accomplishes the same thing. Also, you have to do a lot of the commands with the remote (like volume control, tuner tuning, etc.). You just put the remote in multi mode, and you can control everything about the 2nd zone. On the front of the receiver itself is a button that allows you to select a different source, but that is it. One thing about this button, is you have to make sure it is in multi mode - if it is in rec out mode, it won't change the multi source, but rather what source is being output to the vcr outputs.
    Hope this helps.
    If you have any more questions, let me know.
    Bryan