Multi Room Speaker Sugggestions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Mack, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jim Mack

Jim Mack Auditioning

I'm in the market for a new receiver for music (80%) & HT; narrowed down to H/K 520 or Denon 2802. I'd like to hook up 3 other pairs of speakers in different rooms, with volume control in each rooms. Second source isn't absolutely necessary, but nice, I suppose.

I can't seem to find anything about how to do this. I don't want the receiver's volume control to afffect the remote speaker's levels. Can I hook up a spare stereo amp I own to a multi-speaker switch and drive these speakers at a set level with either receiver? Any problem with this scenario?

I think the H/K can do this with it's Multi-Room outs, can the Denon with Multi-Zone outs?

I prefer the simplicity of the Denon's controls, any other opinions out there? It's impossible to audition them side-by-side where I live.

Thanks

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I placed high quality computer speakers above my kitchen cabinets (barely seen above the crown moulding), and ran the line-level (un-amplified) second zone output to them. Since computer speakers have a built-in amplifier, it worked perfectly. It works well for dinner music, playing cards, etc.
    I originally tried it with bookshelf speakers hooked up to "B" outs, but then I lost the ability to watch a movie downstairs and play CDs upstairs at the same time. The computer speakers also allow me to control the volume upstairs...
    If wiring is an issue, check out Radio Shack for a wireless AV sender unit.
    For speakers, the Klipsch ProMedia speakers will rival any consumer-level speaker package (though cheaper sub/sat computer speakers work almost as well).
    Derek

3. JeffLambas

JeffLambas Extra

I would go for the AV sender solution, as long as the interference is limited