Multi-Room Speaker Controller

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardOlney, Feb 6, 2002.

1. RichardOlney

Hi Folks!

I've been fortunate enough to purchase a new home currently under construction. I've had the electrician run speaker wires to each room. Now what I need is to purchase the speaker control unit so that I can control the speakers in each room (e.g. bedrooms, office, etc.) Each room will have in-ceiling speakers.

Any recommendations for such a control unit without spending big bucks?

TIA,

Richard

2. John-J

Hi Richard,

I've been using a unit from Niles for several years for the same purposes. Can't remember what I paid for it but it was not expensive - like less than $150. My store also had a unit from Adcom but it could only manage 4 sets of remote speakers - the Niles does 6. Whatever you buy, make sure it has overload protection (for when you get too many sets going concurrently by mistake).

3. Diana M.

I've been using a Jamco Impedence matching Speaker Selector, for almost 2 yrs. It has 2 source inputs, 6 speaker output's, with voulme cntrl, on/off, and a/b source for each one, so one room can listen to something diff than the other. I've either got the TV going through the switch or my sound system. It was $ 329.xx. I've really enjoyed it, and so far I've only got 3 pr hooked up, but I'll get the other 3 going.

I looked at some that were over $500.xx, and only offered 1 sourch input w/volume. For what I could find for the price, it's great.

D