Multi-Room/Source IR Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary.ds, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

Since I'm a Newbe to this forum, I'm not real sure this is the right place for this question or not but I will try anyway.

I recently purchased a Pioneer 45Tx A/V Receiver. It has a "IR Control" port on the back for Multi-Room/Source control that accepts a mini-jack plug. The Operating Instructions indicate it is intended for a Pioneer MR-100 IR receiver (or "Other" IR Receiver). Pioneer no longer makes the MR-100 IR Receiver, so I am looking for an "Other" IR Receiver that will repeat the Pioneer CUMR-100 remote control commands and send them directly to the 45Tx control port. Does anybody have any recommendations?

2. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

I understand some Marantz models also have an IR Control port. Is anybody using these ports? Comments?

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

My X10 "pyramid" IR extenders have a mini-jack on the back. It outputs the demodulated IR signal through a standard mono 1/8" jack. My Sony 4ES receiver has an input (two acutally), but I've never tried them. I just have the pyramid receiver set up in front of the whole stack of components.

With the pyramids or similar RF based devices, you can use several transmitters with one (or more) receivers. I don't recommend the X10 pyramid though... its IR receiver isn't very sensitive, so you have to point the remote directly at the unit to make it work.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I don't think the X10/RCA pyramid output is compatible with the input on a receiver. I believe it's intended to be hooked up to an IR repeater. I've never tried it though.

Xantech's "Hidden Link" is what you're looking for. I've used this in conjunction with the X10/RCA remote extended with good results.

5. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

John (and Aaron), thanks for the replies. I saw the Xantech Hidden Link and then got confused when I looked at the Operation Instructions from their web site:
    "The 291-00 is equipped with a 7-foot cable and 3.5 mm stereo mini plug, which is plugged directly into the "IR RCVR" jack on the CB12."
    I read that to say use of the (CB12) connecting block was required. Are saying you have plugged the Hidden-Link's mini-plug directly into a receiver and used it to send commands to the receiver from the X10/RCA remote? Or am I still confused.[​IMG]

6. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

How are others using and controlling Multi-room/source?

7. Jerry St.Marie

Actually you have to use the connecting block and power supply. The Xanteck receivers have a 3 conducter cable because the have a talk-back led in the receiver. Just run the Xantech receiver cable to the connecting block and then run a cable from one of the connecting block outputs to your receiver. Pick up a mini phono plug mono cable from RS.

8. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

Thanks Jerry, that clears up the use of the Xantech.
    Has anyone used one of these IR receivers:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...D-8&type=store
    Certainly cheap enough, just don't know if it will deliver the "right stuff" to a A/V Receiver control port. Comments?

9. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

For $2.50 I would certainly try it out.

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The CB12 is included with the 291-00 incidentally. You'll also need a 781RG power supply. If you want to control your other equipment remotely as well, get the Hidden Link Kit which includes the power supply and 4 IR emitters. Stick the emitters on to the front of your CD player, etc., and you'll be able to control your entire system from the 2nd zone.

11. Richard_Chung

Richard_Chung Auditioning

check out the radio shack #150-1975, it is discontinued thou, but it is only $9.99 instead of $100 now.

rich

12. Gary.ds

Gary.ds Auditioning

Thanks Richard/JohnnyG. I guess there isn't very many folks that use IR Control of Multi-Room/Source.