Multi-room help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

My friend just has a pretty big house. He has 10 zones, but only one source.

He bought this:

http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/...temnum=MPA-101

to power it. Its only a 50 X 2 watt amplifier that he has running to this:

http://www.customdistributing.com/pr..._selectors.htm

The JSS6-VC2 (2 of them).

Well, it all works except it sounds like crap. I told him it had to be the amplifier. How does a 50 X 2 watt amp support all of those rooms?

Anyways, what kind of amp should I tell him to get? Or maybe its not the amp making it sound bad? What do you think? I thought for 10 different zones you had to have a 10 channel amp. He has the 2 channel selectors both running straight into the amps outputs.

So is this setup ok? Should I just tell him to get a bigger amp? ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Anthony,

It could be a lot of things. First suspect is the speakers. Most builders put the cheapest speakers money can buy into homes and they sound like it. Quality parts usually equals quality sound.

How are the speakers wired? Series or parallel? This will also have an impact on the sound. Where are they placed. Even though they would be difficult to move correctly placing in-wall and in-ceilig speakers will help the sound.

Your friend should look into a multi-channel distribution amp. Something like a Niles SI1230 will provide 30 watts per channel to 6 pairs of speakers. You are correct that the amp that is doing the job is insufficient for the application. Regards.

3. Anthony Moore

well, they are all in-ceiling speakers. Im pretty sure there is seperate speaker wire going from each speaker back to the channel selector.

That Niles amp that was suggested is 12 channel. Can I just get a 2-channel, like he has now, just with more power? Do i need to worry about powering all of those zones with a 2 channel amp as far as "blowing" the amp is concerned? I know the jamo amp is only 2 channel, is it special in some way?

thanks

4. Bill Lucas

If he gets a two channel amp it *must* be very robust and stable to difficult loads (i.e. 1 or 2 ohms). A two channel amp is NOT recommended for this application. 24 speakers are simply too much for a two channel amp to realistically drive. You may not like the advice you are receiving but it IS correct advice. Good luck.

5. Anthony Moore

Well, then how do i hook in the channel selectors?

The way it is now, each selector has speaker wire running to the amp (4 wires(a left and right + and -)). Then the selector has speaker wire running to each seperate speaker.

So how would i wire this if i had more than 2 channels (one for each selector)

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Anyone help?

6. Bill Lucas

Anthony,

Do the individual rooms have volume controls on the walls? If they do then a speaker selector WITH volume control is redundant and should not be in the loop. If a speaker selector is used and there are individual volume controls in the rooms the speaker selector should NOT have volume control capability. He could a couple of speaker selectors in conjunction with an amp like the Niles SI-275. It is 2 X 75 watts and is stable down to 2 ohms. It can drive several pairs of speakers through a speaker selector without difficulty. I would NOT try to drive 10 or 12 pairs of speakers with one. Instead I would use 3 (to be conservative) in conjunction with 3 speaker selectors.

Driving multiple pairs of speakers is not something that can be accomplished with good results cheaply. There is a price to pay to get quality sound. Regards.

7. Anthony Moore

thanks for all of youre help...but i have a question still

How do i hookup more than 1 amp to each selector since uses speaker wire to connect to the amp. Then the selector sends the signals to each individual speaker.

There are NO volme controls in the rooms.

Also, is there an amp out there with treble and bass control?

8. Bill Lucas

Anthony,

Each speaker selector gets one amp. Since the rooms do not have volume controls you will need speaker selectors with volume control. Simply use "Y" line level cables to connect to each amp from the source and then use speaker wire to the speaker selector.

I still suspect that the biggest problem with sound quality in this situation is cheap speakers. It doesn't matter how good you make the head-end, if the speakers aren't good and have poor sound the problem will continue.

BTW, this system must be one royal pain in the butt to operate. Volume for 10 different rooms is all controlled by a central location? I hope your friend has good track shoes.

9. Anthony Moore

yah...well, he's selling his house down here in Key West..he just wants to play music through it when people come to look at it...he's not staying here

thanks for all your help