Multi-room Audio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim - W, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

I am having a new house built. My family room will have a home theater system, but I am also having my patio pre-wired for speakers. I own an Onkyo receiver that is set up for multi-room audio, but you need to power the speakers in the separate room. I am looking for opinions on the best way to do this AND the most cost-efficient way (i.e. powered outdoor speakers, separate amp/receiver or speaker selector box). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Firstly, double-check that your Onkyo can't handle zone 2 speakers, as many Onkyos do. Are there speaker jacks labelled Zone 2 on the back? If so, you can hook the speakers up there and control the volume with your Onkyo remote. What model Onkyo do you have?

Next cheapest way it to run your front L/R speakers through a speaker selector box and then on to the mains and the patio speakers. Make sure the box has "impedance matching". If you want different volume setting for the HT room and the patio you will also want a volume control for the patio.

Then get an IR repeater and sit on your patio controlling your CD's and the volume while you sip a cool one!

3. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

Rick - thanks for the information. I have the Onkyo TX-SR601. It says that you need "powered and preamp stereo output for 2nd room." The people at crutchfield told me to get a speaker selector and that seems like the most inexpensive option. My only concern is that the unit has the ability to play two different things in the two separate zones (i.e. a dvd in the family room and the stereo on the patio). Will the speaker selector box take this feature away?

An additional clarification, the manual also says that you can "step to stereo sound in your main room, and the 'SR601 can power your 2nd-room speakers." I am not sure what that means?!?!?!?!

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

That's what I was getting at. If you switch your receiver to stereo in the HT room, you will now be able to power the patio speakers as Zone 2.

I just had a look at your user manual on the Onkyo website. Page 23 clearly shows that you can connect Zone 2 speakers, and they are so labelled on the back of the receiver. On page 60 it tells you that you can control the volume in zone 2 by pressing the Zone 2 button on the remote - you can then control the volume in Zone 2 with the "level" buttons, which are found in the lower middle of the remote between the "TV/VCR" and "Muting" buttons.

I urge you to read your manual very carefully wherever it talks about Zone 2. You don't need anything more than 2 speakers for the patio. You will be able to listen to a different source from your HT room and control it with the remote.