What's new

Multi-region players that do PAL to NTSC conversions. (1 Viewer)

AndyC

Auditioning
Can you recommend some multi-region players that can do PAL to NTSC conversions. Would like to avoid having to get a "multi-sys tv" and just use my current NTSC tv. Hopefully, a player that won't need to be sent for modification...
Thanks!
Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Search either HTF's "Hardware" forum or www.avsforum.com's "DVD and LD Hardware" forum for the Malata N996 - the new, hot choice in region-free DVD players. I have one, and it does the best PAL->NTSC conversion I have ever seen. Region-free, handles RCE disks, progressive output, image scaling, and the list goes one. http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm to buy.
Scott
------------------
Scott Barnhart
[email protected]

AndyC

Auditioning
Hello Scott
I have been to avsforum and noticed the Malta. Though I read some people had some problems?
With the Malta...no modifications need to be made right? Also, will it convert all formats to NTSC? How does this work? You did mention it does great PAL to NTSC...which IS what I'm looking for...
Thanks!
Feel free to e-mail me ne time :)

AndyC

Auditioning
Hey Scott
One more thing...
Noticed on that wite www.avdeals.ca that they sell 2 versions...One the defaults to region 0 and one that defaults to R1. What are the advantages/disadv of both?
If I chose the cheaper one that defaults to R1...do I simply click it to "PAL" when I play a PAL/R2 dvd? How does it work?
Thanks again!
Again, e-mail me directly if you like at [email protected]

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Andy, I also have the Malata and can't recommend it enough. Like Scott has said, it does outstanding PAL to NTSC conversion. It's already been modified by AVDeals, nothing else needs to be done.
The only difference between the two versions offered seems to be that the Region-0 default model will play any region disc automatically. With the cheaper Region-1 default model, which I own, the player will display an error message when you put in a non-Region-1 disc -- you then press the "clear" button for a few seconds and enter the number of the region you'd like to play. A very simple process that I think makes the Region-1 model the better choice since it's $50 less.

Christopher D

Second Unit
It's entirely a matter of personal preference. The tradeoff is $50 for an automatic Region 0 modification. I paid the $50 because I really like to be able to put any DVD at all in there and have it play, no questions asked --

AndyC

Auditioning
Thanks Christopher
I think if/when I get mine I will go for the cheaper of the 2 and save $50.00. Doesn't bother me that I will need to press "clear" and the number of the region I wish to play. Hey, I get to use the money on dvds :)
Later guys!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I got my Malata just this weekend, and was very pleasantly surprised.
The zoom & picture positioning features are excellent. My TV (16:9, 30" PAL/NTSC Sony WEGA) has them as well, but the Malata's zoom produces a noticeably better picture (test disk: Criterion Yojimbo). It can also be used to correct problems with your TVs geometry like overscan (you can zoom out as well as in).
Downside: really bad remote -- makes the one on the Sampo look very acceptable.
I'll have more to say once I've used my Malata for a while.
Ted

Michael_N

Auditioning
I have the Malata for a while already and hands down it's the best all region PAL/NTSC player. Not a Holy Grail (there are some conversion artifacts on certain PAL discs) but damn close.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Michael, have you tried playing with the video filters on PAL playback? I tried that following the advice of Matt Stevens and for all the discs I own thus far, switching it to STILL mode cleaned up my image considerably.
I've read posts of his where he's found an exception or two where this doesn't hold true, but it generally seems to be the better mode for PAL playback.
NTSC stuff, using the SMART filter or is it AUTO (can't remember, and the menus are all pretty oddly named too) seems best on my 32 inch Wega...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks