Multi region DVD quality issues

Discussion in 'DVD' started by neil maui, Aug 10, 2006.

1. neil maui

neil maui Auditioning

Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right section...I have a region free Denon DVD 2910 having moved from the UK and bought the player here I wanted to be able to play my PAL DVD's on my player. However whilst NTSC DVD's look great my PAL discs do not have the same clarity and appear fuzzy any ideas? advice?

cheers
    Neil

2. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

neil

Well that’s odd I get the same effect with watching NTSC laserdiscs, thou I don’t have a multi region DVD player to compare or even validate your question, maybe a device called a (Mosquito) I think that’s the right name for it, it looks at the video signal and cleans it up considerably it also clears up some of those artefacts that smear the video image.

Thou I believe this device is rather expensive costing around $2000.00 dollars, I would see it up and running and see whether it will be the choice for you mate.

3. neil maui

neil maui Auditioning

Thanks for the message andySu, strange that I come half way around the World to the middle of the Pacific, then someone replies to me that I used to live down the road from ( Southampton). Considering the DVD player only cost me $1000 then $2k to clean up the signal is pushing the boat out....I just wondered if there was a firmware upgrade or such like..

cheers for the reply anyhow

4. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

neil

So how did you enjoy your stay hare in England, want to trade places because I’m feed up with this country!

The pacific sounds very nice I can only picture a nice beautifully beach with lush green palm tree leaves and blue atmosphere…

Now that would be ideal, but in the cinema projection world that is when I was once working behind the final scenes and last part of the presentation devices like (Mosquito) would be unheard of. But I think the manufactures are pulling the cotton wool over are eyes and depriving us all of these common artefacts that plague the video image, high grade add on units have been going around for donkey years, sure there some affordable units available just use a few good ole key words and you may come across an item well within your budget range.

I mean I wouldn’t spend $2000.00 dollars or £2000.00 pounds without seeing hearing it of feeling the product before parting over the cash!

They still make DVD players that cost a few grand, blimey mate that is a lot of money; sure I have seen the (Pioneer Elite) range costing around the same price.

5. neil maui

neil maui Auditioning

my stay in England wasnt so much a stay...I grew up there and moved to Hawaii 3 years ago...and yes, blue skies ( everyday!!) swaying palms, clear warm water..have I sold ya yet? I had the Pioneer Elite DVD player, shipped it to Hawaii and FedEx turned it into a box of broken electronic components...then did all they could to get out of paying under the insurance...so Ive now got the not quite so expensive Denon..still fairly adequate though. But still no further forward in getting PAL DVDs looking half decent on it....will keep trying

6. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

BUGGER THAT MATE!

I bet you where fanged to the teeth with (FedEx) for there DONKEY express delivery, DONKEYS!

7. Michael-de-Mat

I want to purchase a multi region DVD player that can play PAL, region 2. Does my television have to be compatible with the different encoding the player may send it or does the player convert the encoding to be compatible with my television or does none of that matter? Also, who sells a good quality multi region player?

8. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

No. If the region free player has an ntsc to pal converter (most do), the player automatically makes the conversion, so you don't need to worry about the tv.
    Here's a good player for cheap and a region free hack
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP514...&s=electronics
    only problem is that it doesn't include dts, so if you have a sound system, you might want this one
    http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm
    this is an amazing player (i have the more expensive model, that you really only need if you have a big tv, and am a videophile.)

9. Michael-de-Mat

I was looking at a Pioneer Elite DV-45A multi region player and saw that my television must support NTSC & PAL in order to support this player. It said this player does not have a video format converter built in. My question is: why are some multi region players like this and why will some work with any television?

10. Ryan L. Bisasky

Don't know why. but at that price, even though it might be very high quality, with no ntsc to pal converter, there's no use for it if you want to play pal dvds. With the player you mentioned, you can still use it as region free, you just can only play NTSC dvds (mostly from asia)
    if you are looking to buy a pioneer player, try this one
    http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm
    This one has a converter that you need, and also has one of those hd upconverters which will let you watch standard dvds upconverted to hd.

11. Michael-de-Mat

Hi Ryan,
    Yes I like Pioneer players and am going to look into the model you suggested.

Thank you.

12. Ryan L. Bisasky

No problem, HKflix is a great place to buy from, as thats where I got my OPPO (not to shill you on going to another brand, but if you have any dvd audio discs or SACD's you might want to look into the oppo player that i linked above, and its also about 30 bucks cheaper then the pioneer.

13. Michael-de-Mat

I actually found one at J & R.com for $92.99. I believe it is the same player, model DV490V-S, but I have to compare since the other seller you suggested called theirs a DV490.

14. Ryan L. Bisasky

On the looks of it, (the way the site makes it seem) that version does not have a region free modifier. You could probably do that on your own, but I don't think that version has a pal to ntsc converter. If you want to risk it and save the money, go ahead, but if you have alot of PAL discs, go for the version on hkflix.

15. Michael-de-Mat

On the J & R site it says for video output system: PAL-NTSC. That does'nt tell you if it converts when necessary, from one to the other. What do you think?

16. Ryan L. Bisasky

uhhh, it probably does then. all you would have to do is go on google and look for region hack codes for this player. But I can't 100% promise this because I don't have that particular player.

17. Michael-de-Mat

You know what Ryan, I think I'll spend the extra money and not worry about if the cheaper model has everything I need! In the long run it's not worth the aggrevation.

18. Michael-de-Mat

Hey Ryan, I got my new PAL to NTSC DVD player and I love it. I just finished watching "The Quatermass Experiment" which is not available on NTSC, region 1.

19. Ryan L. Bisasky

thats good. Next go for the Ong Bak austrailian region 4 dvd.
    the pal dvds I have are
    Ken Park
    Ong Bak Muy Thai Warrior