multi-lingual menus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Rudolph, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I set my DVD player to Spanish for menus, audio and subtitles, then tried Playing a few movies. While somedid start playing in Spanish when I hit play (lilo and Stich and AoTC), none of them had Spanish menus. I only tested discs with Spanish audio or subs. Anyone know why no one seems to support this feature? Are people who aren't fluent in English just expected to know enough to navigate DVD menus?

2. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

I think it's a question of an expense they consider superfluous. But there are Warner titles (Kane, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) that do have multi-lingual menus, activated automatically.

European releases by MGM (Usual Suspects) and Disney/Touchstone (Lilo and Stitch, Ed Wood) start with a menu language choice screen. Others do that automatically, such as Paramount w/ Star Trek TNG.

3. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

Empire of The Sun has multi-lingual menus

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Note that your player has to have a "Menu Language" setup option (my Pioneer calls it "Soft Menu")- it's separate from the preferred language setup, which automatically selects the audio track, and the onscreen display language which only affects the player-generated displays.
    Most Universal discs will show the copyright warning in French or Spanish if you set the menu language that way, but the actual menus are only in Anglais.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My player has three seperate preferred language menus (audio, subs, menus). They all were set to Spanish. Both movies had very good handling of the Spanish with alternate angles for the credits and such. I was surprised by this omission.

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The R2 Futurama season 1 set also has multi-language menus.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I see other regions take advantage of this. Makes me wonder why R1 doesn't.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Because there is only 1 official language in R1 for the most part.

Motion menus are huge space hogs, and to do multi-lingual versions of say "Star Wars" just chews the disc space