What's new

multi-lingual menus (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I set my DVD player to Spanish for menus, audio and subtitles, then tried Playing a few movies. While somedid start playing in Spanish when I hit play (lilo and Stich and AoTC), none of them had Spanish menus. I only tested discs with Spanish audio or subs. Anyone know why no one seems to support this feature? Are people who aren't fluent in English just expected to know enough to navigate DVD menus?

Juan C

Second Unit
I think it's a question of an expense they consider superfluous. But there are Warner titles (Kane, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) that do have multi-lingual menus, activated automatically.

European releases by MGM (Usual Suspects) and Disney/Touchstone (Lilo and Stitch, Ed Wood) start with a menu language choice screen. Others do that automatically, such as Paramount w/ Star Trek TNG.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Note that your player has to have a "Menu Language" setup option (my Pioneer calls it "Soft Menu")- it's separate from the preferred language setup, which automatically selects the audio track, and the onscreen display language which only affects the player-generated displays.
Most Universal discs will show the copyright warning in French or Spanish if you set the menu language that way, but the actual menus are only in Anglais.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My player has three seperate preferred language menus (audio, subs, menus). They all were set to Spanish. Both movies had very good handling of the Spanish with alternate angles for the credits and such. I was surprised by this omission.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because there is only 1 official language in R1 for the most part.

Motion menus are huge space hogs, and to do multi-lingual versions of say "Star Wars" just chews the disc space

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks