Multi-Console Owners: The Most Content Gamers on the Planet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Forner, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I've noticed two trends on this and other gaming boards. The first trend concerns those who buy only one next generation console, expecting it to satisfy all their gaming needs. They'll buy the system because they see one or maybe a few quality titles that interest them, but once they play through those games, they lose interest in the system quickly. "It doesn't have any good games," they'll say. "There are a few good titles available, but the other systems all have better line-ups." Often in frustration, they'll trade in the console they expected to love in order to pay for a different one, at which point, the cycle starts all over again.

Then, you have the second trend. I notice this mostly in threads started by gaming newbies asking about the merits of each system. This person will ask, "Should I get system X or system Y?" To which, several respondents will say, "I own all three systems and I love them all." In fact, I almost never see anyone who owns all three current gaming consoles put down any one of them.

What am I getting at here? I'm basically saying that those of you who regret buying a particular system may simply need to consider getting another system in addition to the one(s) you currently own. If you're like most gamers, you probably have a broad taste in genres and styles of gameplay. Do love RPGs? The PS2 would be for you. Do you drool at the thought of online gameplay? Then Xbox Live might suit your needs? Do you love Nintendo's first-party games? Then obviously a GameCube would be a necessary addition. Each system can claim some worthwhile reason to own it. Those who own more than one system--and especially those who own all of them--are content because their hunger for games is being satisfied with the best each system has to offer.

Believe me, the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. It's just a slightly different shade of green.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

There is something extraordinarily liberating about owning all three consoles.
    Those that do don't have to worry about rushing out and buying system X when game Y is released because they want it so bad. When a new and exciting game is announced you can take solace in knowing that you own the system and the only thing you have to worry about is when said game will finally be released.
    Being a multi-console owner also has its horrible downside. TOO MANY GAMES TO BUY. Lord knows this holdiday season would be much easier on my wallet if I only owned one of the three consoles. Having all three really makes you prioritize what you plan to buy so as to not find yourself scrounging up pennies so that you can buy food and continue to live[​IMG].

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

5. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Have any of you tried to play GTA III in your Dreamcast or Starfox Adventures in your PS2? I have played so late some nights that I forgot which games belonged to which drive bay... [​IMG]
    It is a good problem to have![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bryan

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Unfortunately, the obvious prerequisites for this contentment are a lot of disposable income and/or an extremely understanding spouse. Not all of us are so fortunate. I'm still jealous, though. [​IMG]

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Unfortunately, what we see a lot of are folks who don't buy all the systems for one reason or another and feel the need to justify their decision every time they can by bashing the other consoles:

"Gamecube is for toddlers."
    "Xbox is owned by evil Micro$oft."
    "PS2 has crap graphics."

Etc.

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

That is why you pick & choose what is something you need NOW, or something that can wait until a price drop. That's the only way I can get what I get.
    But,
    I'd much rather have that choice, knowing that I can get the cream of the crop when it comes to any game [​IMG]

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Amen, Romier. Trying to explain to my wife why I want to drop $300 on 6 games has proven to be a challenge. I've learned to create a must-have now and kinda-want later list. My newest problem a) trying to purchase all three broadband adapters and b) trying to figure out how to run a network cable from the entertainment center to my router without my wife freaking out [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I'm going to buck the trend. I own all the systems and am actually considering ditching the console scene totally. It seems like I'm more disappointed all the time.

I haven't bought any PS2 or XBOX in months now. Nothing interests me. My most recent purchases include RE, ED, and Mario (all for the GC). I haven't finished a single one. RE just wasn't as different from the original as promised. It bored me. Never could get into ED...it bored me. Mario Sunshine...a total bore.

The only games that have managed to truly please me in the last year are GTA3 and Halo.

I feel like I'm just throwing money away. I started think about this after building a new PC in September. I may ride this generation out and then simply not buy into the next generation and simply use my money for other pursuits...like upgrading my HT and keeping my PC up to date.

I think I'll stick with PC gaming because certain games like UT and Diablo II I managed to play constantly for years. No console game has had that sort of longevity (for me). So I'll just keep the PC up-to-date and play a few select online games for long periods of time.

Now I do actually have Deathrow and GTA:VC in the mail, so I'm not totally out. But overall I'm simply finding console games boring these days.

15. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I wish. Living in an apartment complex as large as mine makes using a wireless phone a challenge, let alone 802.11b. Once we get a house, though, it's a whole different ballgame, Baby!

Freddy C.

16. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I own all three next-gen systems (XBOX, PS2 and GC).
    All these system war discussions are funny to me now. [​IMG]
    Just recently, I had the luxury of trying out the XBOX and PS2 versions of NEED FOR SPEED HP2. I can see for myself which version is the best to me without having the handicap of A) Having only one system and B) Going by other people's opinions.
    Having all of the consoles rules! [​IMG]

17. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I have all the next gen consoles except for the GC because at the moment I don't see anything on it I want so I use that money for dvds and games for systems I own. Although I own more than one system from this generation I could probably sell my PS2 and just keep my Xbox since I play that and my DC more than anything else. The last games I bought for my PS2 were Devil May Cry and NBA Street. I know there are a lot of great games on the other systems but if they don't appeal to ME or meet my standards then I'm not gonna buy them. I'm keeping my PS2 since I've never sold any of the systems I've owned and I'm not gonna start now.
    Both systems have the kinds of games I like but I think I've been spoiled by Xbox since the games usually have better graphics and sound plus more customization options such as custom soundtracks for racing games. Another thing I'm finding is that a lot of the best games on PS2 that appeal to me are either coming to Xbox in an upgraded version or have some equivalent in the genre that appeals to me more and looks better. I might get a GC eventually since I've always owned every console of every generation but back then I wasn't into dvds so that makes using that money on it a little harder.

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I have a PS2 and a Gamecube and a friend who owns an XBox. I love life. [​IMG]

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

It's been a while since I owned all the major consoles running. I'm in no way an obsessive nor even a good gamer, but I enjoy videogames which is all that matters for me. I'm very fortunate to be able to own all the major three, it's not something everyone has the luck in having...

I love all 3 consoles equally, I really do. Each has something to offer over the other. I can't be without my Nintendo games, my gamecube purchase is justified by the first party titles alone. PS2? It's still got the strongest support and is constantly seeing a slew of good games. X-Box? It's just innovative to me, I enjoy what it gives and look forward to what it's GOING to give in the future, as I feel developers have only scratched the surface of what it can do. Great times for gaming.

Dan

20. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I have an XBOX, PS2, GameCube, N64, SNES and I love them all. I love having the choice of what to play and buy. I agree with J-Fo you never get tired of your system because by the time you get bored with a game there is something new out for another system. The SNES is for nostalgia, (SuperMetroid, Killer Instinct). And when the next gens come out I will keep the old and buy the new.