Multi channel setup on Sony C555ES SACD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Wong, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi,

This may be a silly question...but what's the difference between 6 ch direct output and 5 Large + SW output when setting up the bass management option on the SCD-C555ES? Isn't 6 ch direct assuming 5 Large speakers + SW anyway, since 5 L + SW doesn't redirect bass? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Joe

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Joe, I just got a SACD player, and I never thought of that. That's a very interesting question..hopefully someone will have an answer..[​IMG]

3. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Anthony,

I was just thinking...maybe the 6 ch direct is 6 full range signals, and 5 L + SW = 5.1 (the .1 equivalent to a LFE channel) signals? But this may imply some form of bass management?

This raises another question...are most SACDs mixed for a 5.1 style output? I think Chesky has some 6.0 (6 full range channels) recordings.

Cheers,

Joe

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

6 ch Direct provides no bass mgmt. Whatever is encoded in each of the 6 channels is passed through unaltered. I believe 5L + SW would duplicate all bass from the 5 channels at and below the crossover and send to the SW out, while also sending this out in the 5 ch outputs. I'm not sure what happens to stuff encoded in the .1 channel that is above the crossover, though.

Doug

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

From what I understand, DVD-A and SACD can offer 6 full range channels, as opposed to DD and DTS which are 5.1 (although now with EX, I guess that would be 6.1) with the .1 LFE plus main channel bass if you have bass management.

For SACD and DVD-A the 6th channel can be anything; even a height channel for a ceiling speaker.

FWIW, I don't think there are any multichannel SACD r DVD-A titles that do anything other than 5 channels (or sometimes less, if the center is not used) w/o sub or possibly 5 channels w/sub.

My player (Pioneer 45A) refers to the analog outputs as 5.1, which I guess is not completely correct in a SACD or DVD-A environment.

I am not sure how my player would handle a title that had full range signals on the 6th channel. If I had Sub On, that would be low pass filtered at about 100Hz. If I said Sub off, I would think that the 6th channel would be turned off.

No matter. I run my mains set to small and my sub on, since I do not have full range speakers at all channels. I guess I would only be hosed if I had SACD or DVD-A software using the 6th channel for something other than sub/LFE.

Does anyone remember a day when you had two channels to worry about, and BM meant a trip to the john?

BL