Multi Channel not working for SACD on a Denon 2910

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dennis Severson, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Dennis Severson

Dennis Severson Auditioning

I recently purchased a Denon DVD-2910 and I'm having trouble getting the rear and center channels to function when playing SACD disks. All channels work fine playing DVD's through HDMI, but the 5.1 analog cables only seem to carry the front and SW signals. I have selected "Multi" for the "Pure Direct" option, so the multi-channels on an SACD should be picked up. On my Denon AVR-3806 the input automatically changes to EXT. IN (5.1 analog). I have tried swapping the fronts with the rears to determine if the 2910 or 3806 is having the problem... the front signal did pass to my rear speakers, so I know that it's not the receiver.

I believe the source of the problem is that I'm unable to configure all the "Audio Setup" settings. For some reason only the "Compression" and "SACD Filter" options can be changed. (All the others are grayed out.)

These are the settings that I cannot change, and the current values:

DIGITAL OUTPUT NORMAL
    LPCM (44.1/48K) OFF
    SOURCE DIRECT OFF
    BASS ENHANCER OFF

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did you set the player to multichannel? Are you playing discs with multichannel tracks? Not all SACDs are m/c. Pure direct shouldn't have any relevance to the Ext input. Not sure about your player, but I know with my 2900 and 2200 you had to choose multichannel in the setup menu and then other options became available like channel levels.

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

This messes me up too sometimes with my 1920.

Make sure in the DVD player options its set to MC. Also, using the 3805 I sometimes couldn't get the rears or center for any thing to work until I figured out pressing "standard" on the remote in the surround settings made it all work.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

Are you saying even with Dolby Digital DVDs when using the DVD-2910 Dolby Digital decoder, the analog outputs don't output the rear channels? Does the player output the rear channels when playing DVD-Audio discs? Does DTS decoding output all channels?

Chris

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

In the universal player's setup menu for SA-CD's you have to have Multi-channel selected, so when you are playing an SA-CD with a multi-channel mix it plays that section of the disc. Also, in the setup menu for DVD-Audio you usually have to have the DVD-Audio portion selected or it will only read the disc as a DVD-Video giving you lossy DTS or Dolby Digital audio and not the MLP encoded high resolution PCM tracks.

Then on the receiver it must be set to the 5.1 or 7.1 analog input.

6. davesino

davesino Auditioning

You have to go into your 'HDMI' audio settings tab, and select "2 Channel".
    Once you have selected "2 Channel", then when you go into the 'Audio Setup' tab (different tab then the HDMI audio tab), then they will no longer be greyed out. You can then change it to Multi Channel and they will now all work. I had this problem too, when I first got my 2910. If you are using HDMI for watching Movies etc, then you will need to put the HDMI audio setting back to Multi ...when you are done using your Multi Channel analog outputs

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

That's pretty annoying (and hard to figure out, no?). Why the heck did Denon design it this way??

I also have the same player and was wondering what was wrong w/ multichannel SACD playback in my brief attempts so far -- but hadn't gotten around to figuring it out.

_Man_

8. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I think it may be due to the fact that HDMI was relatively new at the time the DVD-2910 and DVD-3910 players were being manufactured, and IIRC, HDMI support was kind of a "last minute" add-in to those models. Add that to the fact that Denon has a history of producing some of the worst-written user manuals in the history of consumer electronics and it's no wonder people get confused! [​IMG]

9. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

I am confused about why we are discussing a 3 year old inquiry about how to play multichannel SACD. If he didn't figure it out by now, my guess is he has moved on to another player. I have a DVD-2910 connected and I am still using it, but based on the main thread at AVSForums, I think most have either been forced to move on because the player has died or they have replaced it with something better.

Chris

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... Hadn't realized the thread was 3 years old. [​IMG]

Wonder why the *new* member (w/ just that one response post???) chose to respond to a 3-yo thread. [​IMG]

Anyway, my 2910 is actually not quite *that* old since I got it after it was discontinued (and before I decided to go Blu). I would hope it lasts much longer than just 2 or 3 years of moderate use -- and it's not like there are a ton of much better (newer) alternatives anyway. I guess I'd probably go for the new Oppo BD/SACD player (or its eventual successor), if mine does die in the next couple years or so -- unless Denon comes out w/ a good one that's competitively priced.

_Man_

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

I own the Oppo BDP-83 and the Denon DVD-2910 and believe the Oppo player is a good upgrade, even if it didn't also add Blu-ray. I plan to continue to use my DVD-2910 in the bedroom system, hopefully it will last a couple more years. It had only seen light use until a few weeks ago when I hooked it up again and we started using it a lot more and since it is working great, we plan to continue to use it. I wasn't really impressed with it the first couple of years I owned it and had just set it aside.

Chris

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    To be honest, I don't actually have time to sit down and listen to SACDs enough to justify a new player for that unless the old one breaks. Right now, the 2910 is used mainly for our kids' DVD playback and occasional audio-only playback -- I normally use the PS3 for our own non-kids stuff (and for BDs of course). We're using the Denon again for DVDs mainly to save some wear on the PS3 (plus use less electricity as the Denon uses like 25W while the PS3 uses like 125W though that's just a small bonus in practice). I know from experience that the kids can really put some serious wear on DVD players. [​IMG]

Besides, for serious hirez audio, nothing beats getting to the actual source itself like picking up a nice, real violin (or viola) and just jamming w/ it. [​IMG] Yep, that's been our recent family hobby of sorts -- the violin (and all things string). [​IMG] Could use a piano for accompaniment though we don't really have the space for a real one -- thinking of getting a decent digital Yamaha so the wife can jam along w/ us. [​IMG] [​IMG] I had no idea what real violins actually sound like up close (and how different they can be) until I started learning to play myself (and been shopping for them) over the past 2-3 years. They are really amazing instruments, and no amount of hirez audio and gear can really satisfy quite like picking up the real thing and jamming w/ it -- even though I'm barely any good at it. [​IMG]

_Man_