Multi-channel music questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bone, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

Multi-channel music questions?
    How much of a music track is sent to the surround channels as opposed to the two mains? How is the center channel utilized? If one is going to listen to quite a bit of music in a multi-channel system is it important to have surrounds comparable to the Left and Right? Is multi-channel music basically two channel with a little ambiance from the surrounds?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Chris...

I use a Lexicon Digital Controller. The multi channel music modes that I listen to are Music Surr, Music Logic, Logic 7, and Panorama. Each one of these wonderful music modes adds a very nice surr presense to the music. With I listen to singing groups, Music surr is my choice. Music Logic is with most any kind of music. Panorama (when set up properly) can/will take the music experience to another level. With just the front L/R spks playing (sitting in the sweet spot), you can hear music coming from everywhere. Logic 7 gets very little from my music tastes. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what Logic 7 does for them.

Different pre-pro's and receivers give very different sounds within multi ch music. IMHO, running my 7.1 spks full range gives me the best experience. Good luck!!

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Chris,

4. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

There is no standard in how manufacturers handle multi-channel modes. That means your ears will have to be your guide. I have a Denon 3802 that seems to send duplicate L/R to the sides and front mains taking into account the speaker distance measurements entered into setup. I then reduce the center and rears to -12db (basically silence these speakers) to get the sound I prefer. And I do prefer this setup to standard stereo on many recordings.

Experiment and see what you come up with...

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

6. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

multichannel music is sacd, dvd-a and music videos in dts and dolby digital and dts music cd. that much needs to be clear before you understand the playback.
    there are as many mixing methods as there are producers, as it is true, there is no standard method. some sacd multichannel discs, such as the re-mix of jeff beck's 'blow by blow', have full range info in the rear channels. james taylor's 'hourglass' contains his lead vocals in the center channel only, throughout the entire disc (a superbly mixed disc, btw). some chesky and telarc discs mix full range into the sub channel for height speaker(s).
    the bottom line is that, imo, the itu standard of setup is the best overall for HT and multichannel music. and matrix modes are not multichannel music...they are matrixed from 2 channel music in the preamp (dplII, dts neo, logic 7, etc.).
    http://www.telarc.com/surround/sacd....# loudspeaker