What's new

Multi Channel Connections? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
On the back of my reciever are Multi Channel RCA's dor my surround sound speakers..........what is the difference between using them or using the plane wires to my speakers like i am now?

thanks "B's"

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Those RCA connectors are not speaker connections. Hard to say based on your brief post, but most likely they are pre ins or outs for either using an outboard preamp/processor, or outboard amplifiers, respectively.

Notwithstanding, I HAVE seen ONCE, on a VERY old self-contained Sears stereo (yes, actual SEARS brand), speaker wire connections made with RCA plugs. However, i would probably say with 99% certainty that the RCA connections on the rear of your receiver labeled for all the channels are NOT speaker level connections. Look again, and you'll probably see a label of "PRE-INS" or "PRE-OUT," or something like that. You could also consult your manual.

Oh, and these are VERY different than speaker outputs, these are not amplified up to speaker level, and thus would not be capable of powering speakers in the least.

If you're still confused, more info, like receiver model might be helpful as well.

Tim K

Second Unit
I'd bet they are inputs as opposed to outputs. Is your receiver "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Digital Ready"??? If your receiver does not have a digital decoder built in (DD-ready) it may have the ability to pass the signal through from an external source. If your DVD player has a built in decoder it transmits each of the 6 channels seperately over RCA's. The RCA cables would pass the signal through your receiver which would amplify the signal and output it to the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks