Multi-channel 5.1 hook up question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nash, Jun 17, 2002.

1. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    I have an Onkyo 797 and a Sony DVD DVP-S530P with both having analog multi-channel hook ups. They will be connected with a digital coaxial cable, the L/R RCA analog cables, and a S-Video. Is it necessary to also use the RCA audio cables to hook up the 5.1 multi-channel connections? What advantage is there to doing this? I thought the receiver decoded all Dolby Digital and DTS signals to produce 5.1 sound. Is this mainly used for playing back music on CD's? I'm new at this so excuse this question if it seems stupid, however I'm learning.
    Thanks in advance
    David

2. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

The 5.1 outputs on the back of your dvd player are for older "Dolby Digital Ready" receivers. You only need the digital coax cable for audio. You can probably do without the l/r audio cables unless you are using your dvd player for a cd player and prefer the sound of your dvd player to the sound of your receiver.

3. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

hi david,
    welcome to the world of home theater, great hobby[​IMG]
    to put it simple: no you don't need to hook up the player to the receiver via the 5.1 analog cables. as you pointed out correctly, all decoding is done in the receiver, the player just delivers the digital bit stream. to make use of the analog connection, your player would have to be a dvd-audio and/or a super audio cd transport which is not the case i believe. these two new high resolution formats cannot transmitted by a digital connection.
    you don't even need the analog connection for stereo playback left/right, because this signal too is delivered via the digital cable. it only would make sense if the digital-to-analog converters in the dvd player are of higher quality then those in the receiver. in this case only a connection to the receivers analog 5.1 input makes sense, because if you put an analog signal to an input, cd for example, the signal usually will get analog-to-digital converted, processed by the receivers dsp's and back converted to analog. therefore a superior dac in the player is worthless.
    regards, holger