Mulitswitch question for 2 sat's

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Doug Z, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

I have 1 oval triple LNB for my HD set and 1 18" for the SD upstairs. I have a line-of-sight issue so I had my installer angle the HD dish for a strong signal on the B&C sats with no signal on the A. My 18" dish is for all my SD viewing. I have 4 lines from the SD and only 1 line from the oval because I have only 1 HD set and no HD DVR unit. I purchased a Sony HD-200 and found out it needs the A sat for initial setup. I switched some cables around to get the setup complete now I need a multiswitch to get the (A) sat signal combined with my (B&C) from the oval. I was told I need a 6x8, do I?? Do I need to run another line from the oval? Right now the HD set is being fed by a single line from the oval to the HD-200 and works fine, just no SD channels. I don't want to shell out $$ for a 6x8 if I can use something else. A HD DVR is not in the near future but a possibility down the road.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    No. You need a 4x8 cascadable multi-switch like this. Connect two cables from the multi-sat dish into the B/C inputs. Connect your 18" dish to the two sat A inputs. Run a power cable to it and connect all of your receivers to it.

-Robert

3. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link, the problem is that it states,

" If upgrading to HD with DIRECTV, ALL 4 LINES MUST BE CONNECTED from Phase III (Triple-LNB) Dish to the multiswitch"

I really don't want to run 3 more lines from the dish cuz it's about a 100' run for each wire. Am I crazy to assume that 1 wire from the 18" and 1 wire from the oval can be connected to a multiswitch for a 1 wire termination to my HD-200? This makes sense to me but I don't know why I would need all 4 wires from the oval. Are 4 wires used for more receivers that can be connected like 2 for a DVR and 2 for two other receivers?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    In your situation, you wouldn't. That's why I said only connect two of them. You only need the B&C sat signals from the oval dish. One cable carries the right hand frequencies and one carries the left. Sat B uses transponders 22-32. Sat C uses tranponders 28, 30 & 32. The special LNB for Sat C shifts those frequencies to look like transponders 8, 10 & 12. A special combiner merges the signals and the receiver thinks that it is a single satellite transmission.

-Robert