Mulit-Channel Amp Poll

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Mollura, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Which would you choose?????
    1. Anthem MCA 5
    2. Outlaw 755
    3. Marantz MM-9000
    4. ATI 1505
    5. Any others in this price range?
    The amp is going to be paired with an Outlaw 950, B&W 604s2 and B&W LCR6s2 for the center and surrounds. 60% music 40% H.T. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

In this price range, the Rotel 1075. I have one and it is great, and many people say that Rotel and B&W are a great combo. Hope this helps.

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I already "chose"! At the time that I was looking (about a year ago), I considered the AT1505, Outlaw 750, Anthem MCA-5 and the Sherbourne 5/1500. Ended up getting the AT1505 used based on reviews, power supply capacity etc. Never looked back. However, I suspect that I'd have said the same had I chosen one of the others .. these are all great amps (I do not know the Marantz) and you cannot go wrong with any of them.

4. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

I also think that they are all excellent choices, amd you'd be happy with any of them. The only caveat has to do with the sensitivity of the B&Ws you have. If they eat power, then lean toward the OUtlaw perhaps (200/ch @ 8 ohms). I'm not actually sure about the power ratings of the others.

If you are using a sub, the power ratings matters much less. Remove the bass, and you significantly reduce the power demands on the amplifier.

I faced a similar decision last year, and I leaned toward the thrifty side. I found a used Carver 806 on Audiogon for $650. 6 channels @133Watts into 8 ohms. Individually bridgeable makes it a 6,5,4 or 3 channel amp with tons of power available. Sounds great - I'm completely happy and love the $$$ I saved. Kinda hard to find, but if you look, they are available from time to time. This amp got great reviews, one in particular was in Stereophile GTHT I think. I have heard this amp for many many hours at a friend's house over the last few years driving Snell Type A (including the subwoofer towers!), Paradigm 100s, and Revel Studios. Sounded great on all, even the subs, and was plenty powerful on all but the sub when we shuddered the house at ungodly levels. I have a more modest Revel Performa HT setup, and this amp is all I need and want (plus, I have the unused 6th channel available for the future)

IMO, amps are one of the safer things to buy used - pretty rugged, and you know right away if there is a problem.

Cheers,

Chris

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this price range?

6. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

As Sankar says, these are all great amps -- what a time in which to live and choose[​IMG]
    Now there's a new player w/ Outlaw 755 -- 200wpc for $1,299 plus shipping. I wud imagine it will pair up nicely with the new 950, too.
    I just acquired the Anthem MCA5 II, and it's a great performer. My local B&M dealer gave me 10% off MSRP ($1,499) at $1,350. I don't really mind his profit since I might deal harder with him if I ever go for the Anthem AV20 pre/pro.
    Some MCA5 observations:
    Out of the box, the amp boosted my overall sound output 10dB. I had to reduce the mains by the -10dB feature on my Yamaha AVR and recalibrate speakers all around. My Paradign Monitor 9v2 spkrs are fairly sensitive at 94/91dB room/anechoic.
    The 56-lb beast is BIG and requires some 20 inches of rack space depth in a cabinet to allow for the interconnects.
    While advertised as 200watts, it's actually (and specs do specify this) 170wpc ALL CHLS driven.
    The unit features an AUTO On when it senses a signal, as well as a remote trigger input; I first used a wallwart 12V trigger I had but it induced transformer hum into the speakers. Otherwise, the amp's noise floor is SILENT.
    AUTO MODE shuts the amp down to standby after 15minutes of no signal, including putting the pre/pro into MUTE.
    good hunting...

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I am powering the same speakers as you are in my HT. I have a Denon 5800 and it has been doing all of the amplifying til now.

I auditioned a couple of Rotel amplifiers and ended up with the 1090...it did wonders for the 604s and as mentioned earlier, sounds great with B&W, just a natural combination. I would definitely look at the Rotel gear...it looks like you are wanting more than 2 channels, so I would take a look at the 1075 and the 1095...both great deals at their price points.

BTW, your B&W 604s have a sensitivity of 90db @1meter and I believe the LCR6 is 89db @1m...pretty efficient speakers and 200 watts is all you really need.

Jeremy

9. Joe Mollura

Thanks everyone for your input!! I agree with you Bill it is a great time to be shopping for an amp, it seems like there are many great products(at reasonable prices) to chose from. As far as Rotel goes, I auditioned both the 1095 and 1075. The 1095 sounded awesome but is a little out of my range($1000-$1500) The 1075 sounded pretty good but seemed to be lacking a bit in the 2 channel area.

10. Grahame

Grahame Extra

How about Parasound 1205a? 140x5 (cheepest I can find it $1800 Canadian, I think approx $1100 U.S.?)

If anyone has an opinion, please let me know - I'm deciding between this and the 1075.

11. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I believe the Outlaw 750 is basically an inferior redesign of the ATI 1505, designed by ATI for Outlaw. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Anyway, of those few, the ATI should be the best performance wise, followed by the Anthem. However, seeing that you have B&W speakers, I can't help but think of Rotel, in your case the 1075, since Rotel and B&W have been known to sound really good together.

12. Joe Mollura

Sihan,
    I also thought the 1075 would be a great match it just seemed to be a bit lacking on the HIGHS & lows in 2 channel mode. I think your right regarding the Outlaw 750 and the ATI. However, Outlaw is about to release a new 5 channel amp (the 755) with 200 watts per channel[​IMG] which makes it even tougher to decide.

13. Daniel D D

Daniel D D Auditioning

You may want to consider the Sherbourn 5/1500. It has recieved excellent reviews and is comparable to the more expensive Bryston 9B amp in design and performance. Good luck.

14. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

Where can you get a Sherbourn online?

15. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The Sherbourn is in a different league altogether, with a higher price tag. If you're willing to spend around $2000, then the Sherbourn would be a good choice, along with the ATI 2505, Rotel RMB1095 and Parasound HCA-2205AT. However, at your price range($1000-$1500 I presume) you won't be able to purchase these unless you go used.

If you've auditioned the 1075 and found it disappointing, then of course, don't get it. Try the ATI 1505 instead. Its known to be a more "forward" amp, which might work for you.

As for getting Sherbourn online, check out their website at sherbourn.com

16. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

One of the forum members named Randy G. Has a contact that can get you the Sherbourn online for around $1400. Search this link for Randy. His contact is an authorized dealer. Randy made me a great offer when I was considering the Sherbourn.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ight=sherbourn

17. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I think the ATI is the best amp in this price range. If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could go with the Outlaw which is basically the 1505 with some corners cut.

18. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

The ATI 1505 and the Outlaw are very similar BUT they are not the same. They don't have the same power supply, number of output transistors, capacitance(spelling?), nor are all the same quality of components.

When I bought my ATI a few years ago I did a ton of research. I spoke with Mike Pontell, one of ATI's co-owners. He said that comparing the ATI and the Outlaw would best be described like comparing a Cadillac Escalade and a Suburban. Basically the same but some very nice improvements on the Caddy.

Mike also pointed out that the specs for power ratings on the ATI were 150 watts per channel ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN...SIMULTANIOUSLY! Not one channel. He also said that the power rating of 150 watts was conservative and it's actually more like 200 watts!

Just some food for thought.

19. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I went through exactly the same steps as Brian (amazing!!) .. and concur with his findings. These ATI amps rock!

20. Joe Mollura

Does anyone think we may see some new ATI's anytiime soon? Onecall has it on closeout, I wonder if this means something new is not far behind??? Any thoughts.......