Mulholland Drive?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JustinCleveland, Aug 24, 2003.

1. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Somebody, in another thread, mentioned how the film was to be a pilot for another Lynch series, and I was wondering how this would have worked out, since that trippy film seemed rather self-contained. Thoughts?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, you have to remember that pretty much the entire second half of the movie was shot after ABC rejected the pilot. I think you could take it as a given that it would have gone in a much different direction than the movie - for instance, Robert Forster's character would have been as important as his billing.

Worst case scenario (and probably the reason ABC passed) is that it winds up being Twin Peaks II - another murder mystery where the writers don't have the first freaking idea of who the killer is and wind up pulling something freaking stupid out of their ass.

Best case scenario, ABC and Universal make sure Lynch has a good show-runner working with him and they really create soemthing special. I could easily see this happening from what was in the movie, but then again, I doubt anyone but ABC and Universal execs have seen the original "pilot" cut of this movie. Would have been a great DVD extra (heck, would have gotten me to buy the DVD).

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

4. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

The first ninety minutes was the pilot. The rest was filmed after the show was not picked up - to give the story some closure (for another example, see the European ending of the Twin peaks pilot). The tone shift is quite obvious in the movie - even before the box is opened.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

So how exactly did they plan on getting buck naked women to have sex on network television?

7. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    If they had no revealed the killer in Twin Peaks, how long would people have kept watching anyway?
    I think most people would have hated being strung along for 2 or 3 more seasons.

As far as Mullholland, they went back and filmed more adult scenes and inserted them.

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer