What's new

Mulholland Drive DVD 2 Covers or 1 ?!! (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I read on a few message boards and also on dugpa.com that when the disc streets on Tuesday, two covers will be available. Does anyone know for sure ?
I ordered mine through the amazon and didn't have anywhere to designate which one I wanted. :angry:

Phong

Agent
This is true. There is a Rita cover and a Betty cover. Somebody told me they ordered from amazon and got the Betty cover.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, I'll confirm the truth to this rumor. One cover resembles the theatrical art (which is more serious), the other looks the same except the girl is different (more happy expression).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's the Betty poster style and the Blond Rita done in a similar manner.

Both pictures come with the DVD though. The "other" cover is used as the insert picture instead. Also, the cover not on the front is used on the spine instead.

So I chose the Betty which has Rita on the spine and on the insert. I'll put both covers up here in a sec.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
MD DVD.jpg

On the left you have the Blond Rita cover found at Digital Bits, DVD Empire, etc. and on the right is the Betty cover including the spine.
You can see Rita on the spine. And the Rita insert for the Betty cover looks identical to the the Rita cover above. So you still get both art either way, just one is connected to a spine and back.
The back art also has a flip with part of the Rita photo on the back of the Betty front and vice-versa. Go to DVD Empire to see what I mean. They have front/back scans of the Rita cover.
Then do Lynch a favor and buy both. ;)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Was David Lynch in Mullholland Drive? On the insert inside the DVD there are two pictures of him. In one he seems to be comforting Rita and in another he's smoking. I don't remember seeing him in the film.... Did he play a character that got cut out of the final cut?

Joel C

Screenwriter
I got the Betty cover, and indeed I received a Rita insert. Maybe all the inserts are Rita?

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
What are stores like Best Buy and Circuit City offering? I kind of hope that they have both covers in stock so I can choose which one I want after seeing them both.

-Eric

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Eric - Got my Rita cover today at the Best Buy in Allentown. They had both in stock, although it seemed there were quite a few more Bettys than Ritas. I had to dig to find one.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
My Best Buy was also heavy on Betty covers (which I opted to get anyway).
David Lynch is smart. For some reason I have an urge to buy a second copy just so I can have the Rita cover, too.
Am I ill?
Link Removed

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering the reason for this decision. Was it to get people like Mark to buy the Two different versions and make more money off of the obsessed? Heathers was also like this but with four covers remember? Of course I never picked up any because there seems to be so many problems with them.

-Eric

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I bought the Betty cover because the insert is basically the Rita cover, and Rita's on the spine and on the back. Also I feel that Betty/Diane
is the emotional core of the film so it seemed fitting.

We are fortunate to have this film on DVD so quickly after its theatrical release. All chapterstop/digital blurring issues aside, I was happy to purchase this.

Joseph

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Digital blurring issues? I must have missed that news. I'd imagine that there are no chapter stops, as that was the case for The Straight Story.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
I just got the Betty cover, I am in Canada. The place I went didn't have the other one, maybe it is not available here. After opening it, I saw that the insert had a picture of the Mulholland street sign w/headlights in the bottom in fog on one side and David Lynch's 10 clues on the other. I bought the DVD w/o seeing the movie first. Hope I like it!!!

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Steven Phipps said
I just got the Betty cover, I am in Canada. The place I went didn't have the other one, maybe it is not available here. After opening it, I saw that the insert had a picture of the Mulholland street sign w/headlights in the bottom in fog on one side and David Lynch's 10 clues on the other. I bought the DVD w/o seeing the movie first. Hope I like it!!!
Steven,
Looks like you got lucky and found the Canadian edition ahead of the street date. The Canadian disc isn't set to come out till next Tuesday (the 16th). I've had my review copy of that version since Monday.
It's essentially the same disc as the US version except for a couple of things
- There is only the one cover (Betty)
- There is additional French 5.1 Track which doesn't appear to affect the video quality.
- There's a few TVA logos on the packaging.
- The insert card is the street lights with fog as opposed to the "Rita" cover from the US
- The TVA logo trailer follows the Rating band at the beginning of the feature before the Universal logo.
Your a lucky man since it's not supposed to be out till the 16th up here. Enjoy the film. I've been enjoying my US disc non stop for about a week now and took a quick look at the Canadian disc before passing it along to a friend to watch.
Look for my review of the Canadian disc over the weekend :).
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks