What's new

Mulholland Drive - Back Lot Set Identity ??? (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Below is a link to some pictures which show that the same hotel sign was used in both Mulholland Drive and Inventing the Abbotts.
Does anyone recognize the back lot or set? MD was a Disney/ABC film (at the time) and Inventing the Abbotts was Fox.
It is possible that producers just shared the unused film as a favor. The Abbott shot looks like a typical backlot set - does anyone remember this being in any other movies? This could be a set at Disneyland or .. who knows.
Thanks
link to DVD screen captures:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum/...hreadid=181565

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I haven't yet really hunkered down and started studying the film in detail, but I can tell you that much of it was shot in and around my neighborhood. Most of the Los Angeles places and landmarks in the film are quite real. (Not a week goes by in this town when one doesn't come across the trailers, vans, cameras, and buffet tables associated with a production crew.)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Just because a movie is made by a certain studio, doesn't mean that they film it at their backlot. It's very common for studios to use each other's backlots. I think it basically comes down to rental price and availability.

Gregory

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Rich-
It looks like it's probably the "Old New YorK" set at Warner Bros. It could also be Paramount's New York street.
- Guy

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Thanks for the input. Paramount's gate is used in Mulholland Drive, so that wouldn't be a stretch to use their backlot.

I just hoped that someone would have recognized the scene from another movie or two. Well, perhaps someone will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks