Mulholland Drive - Back Lot Set Identity ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rich_d, Nov 6, 2002.

1. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Below is a link to some pictures which show that the same hotel sign was used in both Mulholland Drive and Inventing the Abbotts.
    Does anyone recognize the back lot or set? MD was a Disney/ABC film (at the time) and Inventing the Abbotts was Fox.
    It is possible that producers just shared the unused film as a favor. The Abbott shot looks like a typical backlot set - does anyone remember this being in any other movies? This could be a set at Disneyland or .. who knows.
    Thanks
    link to DVD screen captures:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum/...hreadid=181565

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I haven't yet really hunkered down and started studying the film in detail, but I can tell you that much of it was shot in and around my neighborhood. Most of the Los Angeles places and landmarks in the film are quite real. (Not a week goes by in this town when one doesn't come across the trailers, vans, cameras, and buffet tables associated with a production crew.)

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Just because a movie is made by a certain studio, doesn't mean that they film it at their backlot. It's very common for studios to use each other's backlots. I think it basically comes down to rental price and availability.

Gregory

4. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Rich-
    It looks like it's probably the "Old New YorK" set at Warner Bros. It could also be Paramount's New York street.
    - Guy

5. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Thanks for the input. Paramount's gate is used in Mulholland Drive, so that wouldn't be a stretch to use their backlot.

I just hoped that someone would have recognized the scene from another movie or two. Well, perhaps someone will.

6. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Bump.