What's new

Mulholland Drive-Any Censorship Issues in Japan? (1 Viewer)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Does anyone know if this film was censored or cut for showing in Japan? It opened in mid-March. Is there any content that might be questionable? Any knowledge on this matter will be appreciated.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Many readers but no response. Lets expand the question to include opinions on what might be objectionable in this film. I have not seen it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Roger, its been a while since I have seen it and can't remember many of the details. There is your regular violence for an R-rated film but since you haven't seen the film you might not want to read the next one.

There is also a female masturbation
scene but that one I think is a key plot point in the film that should not be edited at all.

I'll have to see it again to refresh my memory on other "objectionable" scenes. By the way, I believe the Region 1 DVD comes out this Tuesday.

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Roger,

I assume you are buying R1 from our fav online vendor. Are you asking because you want to know if you should see it on the big screen there, or are you asking because you think the R1 import will have a problem shipping there.

For some reason I recall Japan stopping the import of videos that are objectionable, such as full frontal nudity of a woman.

Mulholland Drive does have a brief scene like this, iirc. It's very quick but I suppose that could be a problem. However, if this is a case of "at the theater" then they could blur or black bar it and the film would still be worth seeing on the big screen.

Jason L.

Second Unit
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the big thing in Japan is not showing any pubic hair. That is a no-no. They are usually pretty open about sex in general, a lot more than the U.S.

I don't think Mulholland Drive shows any, but I can't say %100.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Jason, I think that the pubic hair and female frontal issue pretty much went away in about 1995 when a famous actress published a book of her nude photos. She was fined and book pulled bur she sued and court ruled in her favor. Now even daily sports newspapers have nude centerfold. Movies like CRASH and Eys Wide Shut were not censored, cut or hazed in any way in Japan. I think that about the only issue that remains is male nudity.....a no no. But, this is rare in mainstream films.

My original post was because customs was holding a parcel and the only think in it that was R-Rated was Mulholland. I was trying to find out if there were any content issues.

Parcel passed and customs did not open anything in package.

I have not watch Mulholland yet, but the review at DVD File indicates that Lynch himself ordrered hazing on one nude scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks