Mulan SE - aspect ratio question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Carlo Medina, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Did a search, and couldn't find this being discussed. Actually I couldn't find a review at all, which surprised me a little bit. Anyway...

In the Upcoming Releases thread by Mike Frezon it was briefly mentioned that the upcoming Mulan SE DVD would be 1.66 while the original DVD was 1.85 (back of the box claims "original theatrical aspect ratio").

Someone mentioned that they hoped Disney wasn't making a "family friendly widescreen version" that chopped off the sides of the picture.

I went to IMDB and they claimed 1.66 was the original negative ratio, 1.85 was the theatrical ratio. But again, IMDB is hardly infallible.

So I was wondering if someone had definitive word that Disney isn't just chopping off the sides to create the new transfer of Mulan. I'd like to find out hopefully by tomorrow so I don't waste my $ on buying a "family friendly widescreen version".

Thanks!

2. STARKILLER1138

STARKILLER1138 Second Unit

Hi Carlo:

Yes, it does say Family-Friendly Widescreen Aspect Ratio (1.66:1).

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I thought all CAPS films (post-Little Mermaid) had a native aspect ratio of 1.66:1. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Carlo Medina

Yeah I know it says family friendly. But Disney throws that around without much meaning. In this case, there is a chance (as Rob says) that it is just the native aspect ratio being displayed--hence more top and bottom, and not chopping the sides off.

Maybe I should have subtitled this thread "Paging Ernest Rister" [​IMG]

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have read that as well, which I guess is why Disney is not slammed relentlessly here at the HTF for releasing almost all of their modern animation in 1.66.

This one should arrive in my mailbox tomorrow, and being a family favorite, I look forward to an anamorphic transfer.

Then again, being a transplant Massachusetts resident, Mulan will be kept waiting until the Red Sox are done eliminating "the curse"[​IMG]

BGL

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Carlo Medina

Thanks for the links, Colin. I did a search here. I know we aren't the end-all be-all here, but I find a lot of misinformation (not on purpose, I think) on a lot of general websites.

The DVDTalk review claims:
    I'm confused...

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    So it looks like we're good to go!

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

So, is this a direct from CAPS transfer, or from a less than pristine film IP?

I was very disappointed with the transfer on Hunchback, which was digitally very harsh and from a print rather than a direct digital transfer.

It's amazing how Disney can treat their bread 'n' butter (animation) so poorly so often.

Dan

10. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

This was a major problem for all the divisions at Disney, especially over the past decade.

You should have seen how run down they let Disneyland get. Thankfully things began to change this past year.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I address this issue specifically in the review I just posted:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=215173

bottom line, the new 16x9 DVD is 1.66:1...but preserves the FULL WIDTH of the 'theatrical' aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and adds to the vertical picture information which was cropped in the original 4x3 letterboxed 1.85:1 DVD and theatrical viewing.

You're not losing any picture...your gaining some vertical picture. I did many scene-by-scene comparisons between the original and new DVD on my projector (which has virtually no overscan) to be sure...and the increase in vertical picture information on the new 1.66:1 disc is obvious with absolutely no left/right cropping whatsover...

-dave [​IMG]

12. Carlo Medina

Many, many thanks David!

13. Dom

Dom Stunt Coordinator

So much for keeping the original..

Damn

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Nothing confusing. Film created in 1.66:1, theatrically shown in 1.85:1. Correct aspect ratio is 1.66:1.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The DVD talk reviewer is mistaken. I've done painstaking A/B comparisons between the former and new DVD on a projector with virtually no overscan and the new DVD crops no image content compared to the previous DVD whatsover...it only adds quite a bit more to the top/bottom of the image.

IMO, Disney did the right thing be chosing the 1.66:1 16x9 presentation...all the animation that was painted by the artists is now visible and the image composition feels more comfortable and natural to the eye than the more cramped 1.85:1 cropped-framing.

BTW, feel free to post your comments/opinions of this in the official review thread, which is archived to be read by readers long after threads like this one fall of the active list.

16. Carlo Medina

Will do. If the animators went through all of the trouble of drawing all of that 1.66 frame, I'll gladly watch it.