Mulan (2020)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Delaying Mulan makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is that Disney has both The New Mutants (for 20th Century No Longer Fox) and now aloo David Copperfield (for Searchlight) scheduled for release on August 28. They just moved Copperfield to that date today.

So, saying "It's not safe for Mulan on August 28, but hey, come get corona while you see The New Mutants a week later" does not make sense. It doesn't matter what the movie is; the safety risk is the same regardless of the content. Therefore, keeping those while delaying Mulan is confusing and sends a mixed message.

Might as well just put it on Disney+ at this point.
It cost too much to do that. It needs a theatrical release. Disney did that with Artemis Fowl because they didn't believe in the film and obviously smelled a flop coming. It lost money too, but they saved money on its actual distribution. Mulan is something that they believe in, and I don't think they are ready to do that yet.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
If it takes a year, I will be back in movie theaters, but not before I think it is safe for me and my family. I understand the hardship that theater owners face. I think and hope they will get government assistance, but the fact remains that I can't go to a theater until I personally feel okay doing it. But the fact that it takes several months makes no difference. I'm not going to forget about it.
Cinemas have reopened in Australia but they are playing to virtually empty houses despite having new release films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Delaying Mulan makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is that Disney has both The New Mutants (for 20th Century No Longer Fox) and now aloo David Copperfield (for Searchlight) scheduled for release on August 28. They just moved Copperfield to that date today.

So, saying "It's not safe for Mulan on August 28, but hey, come get corona while you see The New Mutants a week later" does not make sense. It doesn't matter what the movie is; the safety risk is the same regardless of the content. Therefore, keeping those while delaying Mulan is confusing and sends a mixed message.
I said it in The New Mutants thread but I think it's because that movie is going to Disney +. If it wasn't, they'd have moved it today.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
About dang time. If there's a theater open near me, I might go. But really, for $30, I can own a brand spanking new, big budget movie and have as many people as I want watch it as many times as I want? (I'm assuming some of that since we don't have specifics yet.) Meaning, I can watch with the BF and my ex and his husband...a set of tickets which would invariably have cost $60 or more plus concessions...at home, on our schedules, on the couch, for $30. I won't have to worry about the kids running up and down the aisles or the cell phones or the complaining from the folks behind me that they cut X song or Y line.

I've learned over the last few months that movie going was a fun thing to do, but I've filled that time with a whole lot of other stuff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
About dang time. If there's a theater open near me, I might go. But really, for $30, I can own a brand spanking new, big budget movie and have as many people as I want watch it as many times as I want? (I'm assuming some of that since we don't have specifics yet.)
My understanding is that the $30 is for a 48-hour rental period, and you will need to have an active Disney+ subscription in order to access it.

Definitely not worth it for me, but for large families with cooped up children bouncing off the walls, it very well might be.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My understanding is that the $30 is for a 48-hour rental period, and you will need to have an active Disney+ subscription in order to access it.

Definitely not worth it for me, but for large families with cooped up children bouncing off the walls, it very well might be.
If it is just a rental, I'll wait. I didn't see any time frame in the Deadline article; I didn't read the Endgadget one.

I have a very active Disney+ account, so that's not a problem. But $30 for 2 days? Nah, I'll pass on the at home experience, too. I'm not into the renting thing as it is, so I'll wait for the 4k disc at the end of the year most likely.

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. I’ll pass. Looks like a disaster anyway and had little interest as it was. Maybe when it hits Disney+ for free.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If there's a theater open near me, I might go.
I don't think they will be releasing it theatrically at all in the United States. The Deadline article says "Specifically, Disney will be releasing the film theatrically in certain markets where the studio currently has no announced launch plans for Disney+ and where theaters are open (i.e., China). The concern with opening the film in some theaters worldwide and not others, was, of course, piracy-related."

So the $30 is on top of the D+ subscription?!?
I can understand Disney trying to recoup some money on this because it cost in the vicinity of $200 million to make. But that sort of flies in the face of their whole "Disney+ is just $6.99 and you get everything" messaging about the service up to this point.

Other studios have been doing PVOD rentals for $20. It's not terribly surprising to me that Disney would think their content is worth $10 more than everybody else's. They still sell MCU catalog titles that have been out for years for $24.99 apiece at my local Target, even with many of those films being included on Disney+.

It will be interesting to see if they release numbers about how successful this experiment is, or not. My guess is that if they are satisfied with the number of transactions they get, they'll talk about how great it is, but if they get less than they want, they won't release that information at all.

I also want to know for sure how long the $30 buys you access for. If it's $30 and you can just have it, that's very different than $30 for a day or two rental. I imagine it will probably be rolled into the $6.99/month service eventually, so it's probably some kind of rental.

If the virus wasn't happening and this had been a theatrical release as scheduled in March, I would probably have gone to see it once. But given that Aladdin and The Lion King were both shit shows last year, I'm not sure I need to pay $30 to rent this.

Deadline indicates that Bob Chapek said this is being looked at as a one-off, rather than testing a new release model. But if it works, I wonder if they would do it again for Black Widow or Soul. I want to see those two held until it is safe to go to theaters, but I've got to admit, my interest level in those is way higher than in Mulan. So I might give those more serious consideration.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So a $20 rental wasn't high enough for Disney, instead you have to pay $38 (including D+ membership). I think the people asking for this to come to Disney Plus meant for it to be included with the $8.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My power goes out for the day (lousy hurricane) and crazy stuff happens online.

Yeah, in terms of price, it's a homerun if you have a family but if it's just you or maybe you & a date, it ain't worth it. That being said, they're obviously targeting families with this.

Deadline indicates that Bob Chapek said this is being looked at as a one-off, rather than testing a new release model. But if it works, I wonder if they would do it again for Black Widow or Soul. I want to see those two held until it is safe to go to theaters, but I've got to admit, my interest level in those is way higher than in Mulan. So I might give those more serious consideration.
I still think the entire industry is going to panic when they see how bad Tenet does and the studios will move their movies or force a VOD deal with theater chains. IF studios don't get a VOD deal, Disney will put out New Mutants and King's Man just to get rid of them and after that, they will move their big movies (Black Widow and Soul) and movies that are going to draw an older crowd (Death On The Nile and West Side Story) and that's pretty much all they've got for 2020. IF Disney does that, I can't imagine that the other studios with a grand total of 2 or 3 wide release movies for the year won't move theirs too. Of course, I never imagined that Mulan would be on DIsney + so what the hell do I know? :)

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
If I'm paying $30 for a digital title, I want to OWN it, not rent. Plus, you lose the experience of viewing it on a big screen with a professional-grade sound system. Might be too high even for families, when most people today are used to watching practically anything for "free" with the monthly subscription price of their favorite streaming service(s). I think Disney is miscalculating here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Disney can go pound sand! This business model doesn't make any sense for me personally. I can understand it for a family, but, it would still be a hard sale for me even if I had family of kids.

Reactions: dpippel

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My power goes out for the day (lousy hurricane) and crazy stuff happens online.
Hurricane? Are you okay?

Of course, I never imagined that Mulan would be on DIsney + so what the hell do I know?
I don't think even Disney expected this result a couple months ago. When they moved Artemis Fowl to Disney+, it was a convenient excuse for them to unload a dud so that they wouldn't lose any more money than they already had doing a theatrical release for it. With Hamilton, it created a new buzz title for Disney+ while keeping the show part of the public conversation during Broadway's shutdown. With this one, I absolutely believe that they would have loved to do a traditional theatrical release for it, but this pandemic has gone on much longer than originally anticipated and has no end in sight. So they probably just got to the point recently where they thought, "It doesn't make sense to hold this any longer."

I think Disney is miscalculating here.
As has been mentioned, If you have a family of four or five people, you could easily spend $30 or more to go see it in the theater. So it's not that much of an outlay compared to what an outing for a group would have been to see it there. However, the difference is that families who normally go out to the movies don't necessarily struggle as much financially during a normal situation as many are during this pandemic. So what might not have been a bad price to pay for a theater trip pre-coronavirus might be an expensive outlay for people who are out of work or having other problems right now.

I'm just guessing here and have no insider information. However, I think that Disney will still want to release it on disc around the end of the year, and then after that it will roll over into the subscription-only Disney+ at some point in 2021. For right now, I can wait. It's not like we haven't been waiting several months already anyway.

Reactions: TravisR

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do you watch the news??
Yes, but I hadn't connected the dots to knowing anyone in the affected areas. I don't know anyone who I've met in person who is there so it sort of slipped my mind in relation to where people on the board are from.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can understand Disney trying to recoup some money on this because it cost in the vicinity of $200 million to make. But that sort of flies in the face of their whole "Disney+ is just $6.99 and you get everything" messaging about the service up to this point.
This is the biggest risk with this endeavor: It risks damaging the Disney+ brand, because being all-inclusive for a reasonable price was a big part of the pitch to consumers.

It might have been safer to charge the $30 through Vudu, iTunes, and the other digital retailers and preserve Disney+ as-is.

Hurricane? Are you okay?
Isaias. It's charged its way up the East Coast. My whole area flooded from it, with lots of roads closed but (knock on wood) I haven't lost power yet.

1596594283299.png

I think Travis is further south, though, so I would assume he got hit quite a bit harder.

Reactions: dpippel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els