1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mulan (2020)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I loved that movie. But so far I'm not feeling this.

Admittedly, I want the songs to be there and they're presumably not doing that. Putting that aside, this doesn't not look good, but I'm not particularly excited or moved by it either, if that makes sense.

I may well come around between now and next March. But right now it's not doing anything for me. It looks polished and well-made. I just feel nothing for it yet.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It interests me more after seeing the trailer. Probably the only one of the live action remakes to do so, but I have always been only so so about the original animated film. I think I also need to temper my expectations around the extent of martial arts in this, given the target audience.

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Looks good to me.

I'm maybe one of the few people who seems to think that these Disney remakes are actually really working out most of the time.

4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Having never seen the original, I have to say, that trailer had me at hello.
    For once, a live action remake that is live, not CGI.
    And Whale Rider was magical.
    Looking forward to this ...

5. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    If they are not using the songs then it was wrong to use instrumental clips of them in that trailer.

I love the songs and score to this movie. I think the original score by Goldsmith is still the best animated score form Disney. Man I wish he was still around to score this version because I can’t stand the composer they have chosen. I think HGW is nothing more than a Zimmer copy cat (not in a good way) and I can’t think of a single score of his that I enjoy.

Anyway, I’m skipping this if the songs are not included. Just no interest in a Mulan that isn’t a Mulan.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Agreed. They could potentially get me there later out of curiosity, but that trailer hasn't done it.

7. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    is Donnie Yen in the teaser?

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    You mean you have no interest in a live action Mulan which isn't the Disney animated Mulan, right? Cuz, let's see, the story itself goes back a few centuries and I'm pretty sure the Disney animated Mulan is a different interpretation of that story. I bet the original story didn't have Donny Osmond or 98 Degrees singing the songs.

I'll admit, I wasn't glued to my phone yesterday morning when I heard the trailer was out. I waited and waited until right before going to bed to finally watch it. Mulan isn't my favorite Disney animated film, but I enjoy it, its sequel and the music. The trailer we got is nothing like I expected...at all. I'm intrigued by this film. It's going to be a radical departure from the other live action films. I'm going to be ready for it to perform modestly at the domestic box office, the naysayers and doom-tellers to scream "LOOKZ HOW DA DIZNEY MESSED UP NOWS!" and just move on.

My guess is the domestic box office won't matter nearly as much as the Chinese box office. This is a play to get those audiences into the theater and have them buy into all things Disney. I will see it opening night (as if there was any doubt).

Joe Wong and Cameron Yee like this.
  9. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Interesting that she still has all her long hair in all the battle scenes. This could be quite the departure from the animated version if they remove the whole bit about her hiding her identity.

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Or "Ni hao!" :D

Indeed. With stories like Snow White and Cinderella (and arguably the Little Mermaid) it's easy to forget they existed before Disney's interpretation of them, they've become so dominating and ubiquitous in pop culture. They haven't quite reached that level with Mulan, at least for a good part of the globe that grew up with the story prior to Disney's take on it.

Mikael Soderholm and Jason_V like this.
  11. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    And that's what I find really...interesting, let's say...about the social media reaction to the live action movies. No one has a sense of history or anything before the Disney animated version. At least half, if not more, of the animated films are based on another property and the creators of the animated films changed the original. With little outcry.

There's plenty of room for different interpretations and versions of all these characters.

Cameron Yee likes this.
  12. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

Interesting to see how audiences in China view this. There's probably been one or more film/TV adaptations of the original Mulan story by Chinese content-makers already (including those from Hong Kong). So it may be met with a "meh" in China.

Analogy: a film like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, while viewed as groundbreaking and lauded by western audiences when released in 2000, was probably just another martial arts period piece to audiences in China (and Asia), one which been done many many times before (having seen my share of martial arts films, I was one who thought it was good but, aside from Hollywood production values, nothing particularly stood out).

Similarly, romantic comedies are plentiful in HK cinema, so a film like Crazy Rich Asians is, again, nothing out of the ordinary. (Don't get me wrong - I myself loved Crazy Rich Asians, more because it was a funny romcom with great scenery rather than it being a majority Asian cast.)

I am interested to see where Disney takes Mulan. More for its story than anything else.

Jason_V likes this.
  13. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My wife is Chinese, from Malaysia, and actually quite likes the Cantonese language version of Disney's Mulan, which has Jackie Chan as one of the voices.

I don't know if her opinion is a common one for those living in Asia and SE Asia, but I can see how the Crouching Tiger effect may play out similarly (she also found Crouching Tiger quite boring because it was a westernized version of a wuxia film).

Joe Wong likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, they very obviously used the melody from Reflection in the trailer. So, maybe, if the film is not a musical (like its animated version) than they plan on using the songs as scoring cues.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Message #95 of 96 Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I've had a change of mind about this.

I don't know how many of you saw the remake of Pete's Dragon a few years ago. Based on its grosses, it reached a smaller audience than the majority of Disney's remakes. But I thought it was great. Quality-wise, I think it's the one of the best remakes they've done. (Beauty and the Beast and Favreau's Jungle Book are the other two that I really loved; those three are the upper tier of this recent trend.)

But the new Pete's Dragon has almost nothing to do with the original film.

Both movies feature boys named Pete who befriend a dragon named Elliot. The dragon is green and can turn invisible. That's it. Other than the names, the entire plot of what happens to the characters is completely different. If they had named the characters anything else, it could have been released as a new piece of IP instead of a remake. They not only ditched the songs from the original film, but also the entire storyline. When I saw the remake, I thought that it was very strange to take the name of the movie but nothing else in the process of remaking it, and I still think that. But I loved the new movie. (And I also loved the original.) Both sit side-by-side on my Blu-ray shelf and are completely different experiences.

Meanwhile, this summer, I came to resent Aladdin and currently feel very meh about the technically marvelous but sort of bland Lion King remake.

So: do I want a Mulan movie that doesn't have the songs in it? Not really. Would I have greenlit it that way? Absolutely not.

However, changing everything worked for Pete's Dragon; the remake is a great movie.

Therefore...as long as the reviews on the remake are good, I will probably go see Mulan. It could be a disaster that really misses because it omitted the songs and the charm of the original. Or it could be like Pete's Dragon and be a completely different thing that's also good. We'll have to see. But remembering how much the new Pete's Dragon was its own movie, and how much I liked it, has changed my thinking on this.

I could still say, and mean, "They should have kept the songs" next March. But if what they've replaced the songs with is also good, then I'll just be watching the new story and that will be good.

Cameron Yee likes this.
  16. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    They had the trailer for this playing on all of the TVs at my local Costco yesterday.