What's new

Disney+ Mulan (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The database at Blu-ray.com has listings and artwork for 4k steelbook releases of both the new remake and the original animated classic. They are listed as Best Buy exclusives, because of course they are. There are also standard 4K releases listed without final artwork yet.

No specs or release dates yet, but it is clear these are coming, probably sooner rather than later.

Mulan steelbook.jpg

Mulan 2020 steelbook.jpg

Best Buy hasn't actually put either of these up for pre-order yet, so I'm not sure how the information was distributed to Blu-ray.com but these certainly look like they are legitimate.

I'll lock in my pre-order of the animated one as soon as I see that it has gone live. This will be my fourth time purchasing the movie overall, but I'm definitely in for the animated one. It is a classic film from my childhood and I will be delighted to have it in such an awesome package. I really hope that artwork is final, because if it is, that's certainly up there with the nicest steelbooks I've ever seen.

New bonus features and/or a new Blu-ray transfer downscaled from the 4K one would be nice, but the original Blu-ray is already excellent to begin with anyway. It would also be a nice bonus if the Blu-ray drops the cheapquel, which I have on the existing 2-Movie Collection but hate.

I'm less sure about the live-action one because I would like to see it first, and that will happen in December when it becomes bundled with the rest of Disney+.

I would think Disney might want to street these before then so as to get them out in time for holiday shopping. They aren't going to have any other major new releases this fall because of all the films they've had to delay, so I guess this is their best hope for seasonal gifts.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It would be nice if they'd offer a double pack that includes both films.

Disney has not done that before in Region 1/A with physical releases. However, you can buy digital bundles featuring many of the remakes bundled with their animated predecessors. An option to do this with Mulan doesn't exist yet, but it might be added once the physical release comes along and they're no longer charging $29.99 just for the new film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While doing an interview to promote her new film Yellow Rose, Lea Salonga was asked about the new Mulan. Of course, she provided the singing voice of Mulan in the original animated film.

Philiana Ng‍ said:
Since you provided the singing voice of Mulan in the 1998 animated film, what are your thoughts on the new live-action take and what do you make of the mixed response to it?

Lea Salonga said:
I already knew that I would not be able to be objective about it because I was part of the first movie and when you're so closely connected to that, anything that comes out later, I have zero objectivity. I thought the cinematography was beautiful. I thought the casting was great. I have friends in the movie. I got pulled out of the action because I saw Tzi Ma, who plays her father. I saw Hoon Lee, who played the guy on horseback that starts announcing the names of people that would have to join and enlist. I love Gong Li in anything she does. She's a luminous presence onscreen and so strong that she doesn't have to do anything. She just has to do resting b***h face for however long onscreen, and you're like, "OK, you were brilliant. I know you're not doing anything, but it's so brilliantly done." Seeing somebody like her and Jet Li and Jason Scott Lee with so much guyliner, and to sing Ming Na's cameo at the end, I was screaming and furiously texting her. I'm like, "What? You're in this? Oh my god!" She's like, "Am I?" It was a really beautiful celebration of something that has been so close to the hearts of a lot of people, particularly those who were involved in the first one. To see Yoson An, a holy gorgeous man, I was like, "Yes, thank you!" To see Rosalind Chao, I felt happy that she is still so beloved. As for people's reactions to it, you can't really control how people react or where they're coming from, but there are people that love it. There are people that don't love it. There are people that just flat out hated it. I'm one of the people that really loved it, so there you go. It is what it is, you know?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can even imagine her impeccable diction and lilting tones saying those words!

I am a hopeless fanboy! :laugh:

But after reading that, I am actually more interested in seeing the film (which I'll do when it becomes standard fare on D+).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Might as well add the std 4K artwork from Bluray.com

Still no preorders in the US, but BBYCA had a Nov 10 expected date (listings since thave been pulled probably b/c they jumped the Press release) which certainly makes sense based on past years.

Certainly if it is month away, I'd expect to see the official press releases this week

258538_large.jpg

265665_large.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Certainly if it is month away, I'd expect to see the official press releases this week

I'm inclined to agree with that, but obviously there hasn't been one since you posted that on Monday.

I wonder which is more valuable to Disney: having the disc available for holiday shopping, or an increase in signups for Disney+ once it slides down to being included with everything else in December. If they are hoping for the latter, they might want to delay the release of the disc.

Of course, you can now get it at other retailers besides Disney+, but it's still $30 there. So Disney+ for $6.99 in December is less than that.

Another factor is that Disney+ will also have Soul on Christmas now without an extra fee, so that will probably be an even more significant subscription driver than Mulan in December. That one actually seems like it's good and it doesn't have the controversy around it that Mulan does. So maybe that's a factor as well.

I only know that I want the steelbook for the original film, but I'm sure that whenever they come out, they will come out together. This was the case last year with the Aladdin Signature Collection release coming simultaneously with the release of its terrible remake.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It seems increasingly true that there’s less and less overlap between those who buy discs and those who do subscription streaming. I don’t think holding back one for a brief period encourages the sales of the other any longer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It seems increasingly true that there’s less and less overlap between those who buy discs and those who do subscription streaming. I don’t think holding back one for a brief period encourages the sales of the other any longer.

Yeah, I see a lot of people here talk about buying digital copies of movies but not so much streaming.

I have zero interest in either. Discs 4-eva! :D

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see pretty much zero advantage to buying a digital copy over streaming and massively more expensive. $4/month to rent the library for a month is certainly far better than 9/15/20 for a long term rental of a single movie. $2-3 per item I can live with -- pretty much same as renting a title

I own it -- Owning means the version I buy is the version I keep and if I decide to get rid of it, it's my decision how ( gift it, trash it, or sell it) --- otherwise I'll watch it as a rental and streaming is the current designation.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure why I can't get it to attach to this post, but Blu-ray.com posted artwork for another edition of the remake, a Blu-ray+DVD with some French text on it which appears to be for Canada. It uses the movie's final poster artwork. So maybe we're getting closer to the announcement.

I have a $5 gift certificate pending use from Best Buy with an expiration date in December. Disney and steelbooks are pretty much the only things I buy over there, since I use Amazon Prime for everything else. As such, I'm hoping to knock the price of the animated version steelbook down a bit with it. So hopefully it is at least up for pre-order before then.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Having Mulan's eyes stare right at you from the interior artwork of that steelbook feels creepy. Her face being split in half by the spine is definitely weird.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bill Hunt posted this over at The Digital Bits.

Bill Hunt said:
Speaking of 4K, we now have multiple retail sources confirming that Disney plans to release their new live action Mulan (2020) on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray on 11/10. That same day, you’ll also get the animated Mulan (1998). Now... keep in mind that Disney has not yet officially announced the release of either title, but we know for a fact that Best Buy stores are getting their shipments in stock and employees are being told that 11/10 is indeed the street date. So we would expect an official announcement sometime in the next week or so.

November 10 Is 12 days from now. If indeed that is the street date, this would be a very quick turnaround from announcement to release date.

But that would also get the movie out for physical purchase before the December 4 non-premium release date on Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That would be something.

Because I want to be sure I can reserve the steelbook of the original, I'm not really sure I'm into the idea of it just suddenly dropping without a press release significantly in advance. I'll wait for the remake to drop into the included Disney+ tier, but I absolutely want to make sure I get the new edition of the original in the limited steelbook version.

I'd actually rather have it in December at this point to be sure there's time for pre-orders and reservations and such to go through instead of, "It's just suddenly there."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Might as well add the std 4K artwork from Bluray.com

Still no preorders in the US, but BBYCA had a Nov 10 expected date (listings since thave been pulled probably b/c they jumped the Press release) which certainly makes sense based on past years.

258538_large.jpg

265665_large.jpg

Not really interested in the live action film but the "water colour" artwork was sure a lot more interesting than what they went with. The cover art for both types of releases is exceedingly boring, especially the animated version which could have used this.

mulan-poster.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The cover art for both types of releases is exceedingly boring, especially the animated version which could have used this.

The artwork for the animated film has been used before. This is the most recent release of the Blu-ray. So they're just recycling the artwork they came out with previously.

Mulan.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just think they have existing artwork that would look fantastic on a steelbook version of the film. Studios use the most boring artwork available for disc releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks