Disney+ Mulan (2020)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I knew about the existence of the hurricane but just hadn't thought about my digital friends in relation to it. I know where my in-person friends live, but it just didn't occur to me where you guys are writing from. My original post on the matter was poorly worded. By putting a question mark next to the word hurricane, I meant more "How is the hurricane affecting you?" and not "There's a hurricane?" but was too lazy to specify. I'm glad to hear you two are still doing okay though and hope you remain that way.

To Adam's point, I think Disney wants to use Disney+ for this instead of other VOD platforms because that way they get to keep 100% of the revenue. If they put it on Vudu, Amazon, iTunes and the like, then they've got to give those vendors a cut of the money. So it works out for them to use their own service in order to keep it all in-house. But you're right that this could fundamentally change the perception of what kind of value Disney+ is. It will be interesting to see how this move is received.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Tino and TravisR

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Might as well just put it on Disney+ at this point.
:cool:

Update (9:45 PM ET): According to Disney reps who spoke to CNN, it’s not exactly a rental — the $30 fee will provide access to Mulan as long as you remain a Disney+ subscriber.
Ok so it's essentially a permanent Disney+ add-on, as long as you stay subscribed.

It will be interesting to see how the timing of this works. I'm guessing it will be purchasable for a period of time, then go away, and then end up included on Disney+ for no extra charge. Can't charge someone $30 one day and then have it be available for $0 (over the D+ subscription) the next.

Funny, if they'd done this with Hamilton I'd have paid it.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mulan was a title I wasn’t going to seek out in its first run anyhow, so I can wait until this becomes part of the regular D+ subscription, presumably a few months after its PVOD window.

But for any title I had anticipated and looked forward to seeing in first run theaters, yeah, I’d pay it. Wouldn’t even blink. I haven’t seen a friend or participated in a social gathering or gone out for an event since the very end of February. I don’t anticipate being able to for the rest of this year or early next year. If it’s something I was excited for and haven’t had the chance to do it, I’ll jump at the opportunity to enjoy something I had been looking forward to before the pandemic and for the chance to feel a tiny sliver of normalcy. This particular title is a pass for me, but I’d do it for Black Widow or Tenet and wouldn’t blink an eye at the cost.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they drop a title like Black Widow this way, I'd probably take a similar approach to the old days of pay-per-view boxing: Have some people over and split the cost of the rental evenly. I can see four people in my apartment with a reasonably decent viewing angle for all of them. $7.50 for a first run rental feels a lot more reasonable than $30.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
If I'm paying $30 for a digital title, I want to OWN it, not rent. Plus, you lose the experience of viewing it on a big screen with a professional-grade sound system. Might be too high even for families, when most people today are used to watching practically anything for "free" with the monthly subscription price of their favorite streaming service(s). I think Disney is miscalculating here.
Do we really OWN a movie if we buy it? I always understood that we only buy the 'right' to play the movie in our homes-nothing else.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can wait until this becomes part of the regular D+ subscription, presumably a few months after its PVOD window.
Obviously, I have no idea what Disney's actual plans are. However, my guess would be that they'll sell a physical Blu-ray in time for Christmas sales (it would have gotten a disc release if it had been a theatrical title, so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that.). Then, sometime after the physical release has a brief window, it will get downgraded into the regular Disney+ subscription probably in early 2021. Or at least that's what I would do.

But for any title I had anticipated and looked forward to seeing in first run theaters, yeah, I’d pay it. Wouldn’t even blink.
The only thing that would hang me up about doing this for a title I was desperate to see is the requirement of maintaining a subscription for access, on top of the cost of the title itself. I would be much likelier to do this for Tenet if it arrived on Vudu where I would have the content on a continuing basis without also needing to keep the subscription to access. For $30, I wouldn't want to have any strings attached to my future access.

This is all hypothetical, of course. But in the case of Tenet, it would also have to be Vudu or a similar retailer because I currently lack an avenue to access HBO Max. My streaming stick of choice is a Roku, and I just bought that a few months ago, so I'm not currently interested in any other service that requires me to get an additional device.

Do we really OWN a movie if we buy it?
I own the discs that are in my house with movies on them. No one is legally allowed to come in here and steal them from me. That's ownership. Now, can I go out in public places and screen the disc for a paid event without paying the studio? No. But that doesn't mean I don't own the disc and everything on it.

I also own my purchased and/or redeemed digital copies, until such time as the vendor I redeemed them with goes out of business or the studio decides that I don't. This is why I like physical better than digital, because with digital the vendor and/or the copyright owner can technically still make changes. But, if I buy something or rent something from a digital retailer, it still represents an agreement that I have the movie indefinitely. Until I don't. To me, that's ownership...kind of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard M S

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If it was Star Wars or any other special theatrical release that I wanted to see, I would pay that price. I rarely go out to theaters, so it would be ok.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it was Star Wars or any other special theatrical release that I wanted to see, I would pay that price. I rarely go out to theaters, so it would be ok.
I used to go to theaters all the time and I'd pay for Star Wars but at $30 or even $20, I'm sure I'd just wait for the disc for nearly every other movie that I 'had' to see. I can't wait for Tenet and Soul but I can't see myself paying $30 to watch them. I'd be more interested if I could split the cost with a friend but the pandemic knocks that option off the table for the time being.

Once again, I think $30 for Mulan is a great deal for families but it's not a great deal for me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder how soon AMC, Regal, etc ... will make threats to ban Disney films.

;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's my understanding that after paying the $29.95 you have "unlimited" viewing privileges ... as long as you're a Disney+ subscriber. So this is not limited to a 48-hour window. You are purchasing -- at the very least -- a 30 day window; and, in essence, "own" the movie as long as you're a Disney+ subscriber.

I think this model is *PURE GENIUS* as most families already have a Disney+ subscription. And instead of having to pay for repeat viewings, they pay one price upfront and can then view it as many times as they want until their Disney+ subscription lapses. This should more than satisfy the kids.

I think this could also drive up Disney+ subscriptions for any families currently not on the service, which would provide a steady flow of cash going forward. The stock market certainly thinks this is possible as Disney Stock is going up this morning in the face of a 5 billion dollar loss reported yesterday due to the Pandemic!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think they will be releasing it theatrically at all in the United States. The Deadline article says "Specifically, Disney will be releasing the film theatrically in certain markets where the studio currently has no announced launch plans for Disney+ and where theaters are open (i.e., China). The concern with opening the film in some theaters worldwide and not others, was, of course, piracy-related."
For sure. I kinda glossed over some of those details, so thank you. :)

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
For me and my family of four, this makes good sense. I’d definitely spend more to take the kids to a matinee, not counting popcorn, etc., so this saves money for me. Of course, I understand that it is not attractive if you are just one person. Still, even if you’d normally buy two tickets, it makes sense (certainly if you are in New York).

BTW, storm knocked out power. Will likely be without for days.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John Campea said that he just talked to someone at NATO who said that Disney did talk about this strategy with them weeks ago. So no retaliation will be forthcoming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Campea said that he just talked to someone at NATO who said that Disney did talk about this strategy with them weeks ago. So no retaliation will be forthcoming.
I think keeping it exclusive to D+ at a premium price probably softened the blow. Though as Nick says, the theaters have no leverage right now, and who knows if they ever will again?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Theatres don't have any real leverage right now.
This is likely the case.

AMC and Regal have already played their hands awhile ago, with threats against Universal.

With Disney sitting on the sidelines at the time (May/June), everyone saw it largely came to nothing. Now with impunity, Disney can see whether AMC, Regal, etc ... will do anything.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While "continuous access" is definitely better than the 48-hour window I posited yesterday, I still don't know that'd I'd classify it as "ownership" in the same way that digital copies in one of the digital lockers (iTunes, Vudu, etc.) are. Anything that's depending on a recurring monthly subscription cost isn't really ownership.

It was smart of Disney to smooth the waters by reaching out to NATO before moving forward. Likewise, it was smart of NATO not to pick a fight it can't win.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan