What's new

Muggle Alert: Who's Ready For "HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX"? (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It's brilliant. The main characters are growing up, after all... if you are stuck in the wondrous happy-go-lucky pre-adolescent funtimes of 1-3, you may be disappointed. (I was NOT)... but please, please, stop reading spoilers! You want to go into this one without any spoilers.

Do not read the inside of the book jacket if you want the plot to be *completely* fresh.

Humor still abounds, new characters and concepts are introduced... it's amazing how fresh Rowling has managed to keep the series. You will be disappointed only at how quickly the 870 pages fly by.

The plot, while (as usual) brilliantly constructed, could almost be secondary to the internal changes the characters are undergoing and/or the revelations they experience... don't think I'm going to reveal any more. It comes out really soon, after all! Be patient and stop reading those darn spoilers! :)

~s

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A Canadian review says "Worth the wait and then some". Indicates many questions that fans had will be answered and has a doozy of an ending to keep readers waiting anxiously for the next installment. Wow!

P.S. I don't see any spoilers posted here.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
My wife's friend plans to go get in line at 9 tonight...in costume.

I've been told that the books are better than the films, but I was lambasted by my circle of friends when I dared to tell them that I thought the films were pretty dull (the first half of Chamber of Secrets wasn't as bad). They all told me that I really need to read the books to better understand what's going on.

Well, I'm not biting. Call me what you will, but my first instinct when "everyone else is doing it" is to stay away. I'm sure my daughter will want to read when she's old enough (she's 4 now) and I can certainly wait.

De

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not biting. Call me what you will, but my first instinct when "everyone else is doing it" is to stay away.
So, if I told you that having sex is great, and that everyone is doing it... :)

I avoided HP for a while too, but then I got bored and read the books I had gotten for christmas. The first two books were a little flat (like the movies, except the movies were worse), but not so bad that I didn't go on to the 3rd and 4th, which I thought were fantastic.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Peter, I would consider the leaked plot details, even without the knowledge of which character(s) they involve, to be spoilage. They are blacked out in this thread, but they're still tempting. The anticipation of "major plot events" can be very distracting during reading. Now this is coming from a strictly purist standpoint, you understand. :)

It's why I won't even begin to comment on the truth or falsehood of the speculations already put forth in this thread.

Even worse spoilers have been circulating print and web, so be alert and for heaven's sake, wait for tonight!

~s

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've got my copy (bought it at my local supermarket a couple of minutes after midnight). I've read the first fifth of it, and it's pretty good, but rather more mature than the previous books - I'm not sure the younger part of the fanbase will like it all that much.

Do folks want spoilers put up? I'm happy to give an outline if folks want it, but I'm also aware that other people might be annoyed.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
My copy has been sitting in my local post office since 6am today (Friday). Why oh why couldn't Amazon have forgotten to put the do not deliver until the 21st label on mine???

Aaron

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know of any good deals in Canada?

I'm wondering how cheap Wal-mart is compared to Costo, Chapters, etc. here in Canuckland.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I think I'll revise what I said before.. :)

There may be brief, helpful summaries of concepts embedded in the Order of the Phoenix
I think that the 15 chapters of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that I've read so far crucially depend on having read the previous books. There is very little explanation of previously mentioned creatures, characters, and concepts. It instantly assumes you have a working knowledge of the wizarding world.

Anyway, go buy the previous books, and have a blast, wonderful stories.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Scott_MacD, you wrote:

There is very little explanation of previously mentioned creatures, characters, and concepts. It instantly assumes you have a working knowledge of the wizarding world.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I've now read the whole thing!

Unless people ask, I won't publish *big* spoilers, but FWIW, here's my review that inevitably contains some small spoilers.

The book picks up from the previous one, and you really *must* have read *all* the previous books for this book to make sense.

The book begins with Harry back at the Dursley's, away from his friends and news of the return of Voldemort. He rescues Dudley from an attack by two Dementors by using the patronus spell. This instantly gets him into trouble from the Ministry of Magic who convene a hearing. Stuck in the Dursley's house awaiting the hearing, Harry is rescued by a group of wizards including (the real) Mad-Eyed Moody, Lupin and Sirius Black. They form part of a secret organisation called the Order of the Phoenix (leader Dumbledore), dedicated to fighting Voldemort. It seems that Fudge at the Ministry of Magic doesn't believe that Voldemort has returned and is doing everything to obstruct the Phoenix's cause, including a nasty smear campaign against Harry and Dumbledore. The hearing against Harry is basically a show trial and Hogwart's in effect gets taken over by the Ministry in the person of Professor Umbridge, a thoroughly nasty bitch who is a (not so) closet sadist and the personification of every petty beaurocrat ever allowed too much power. The plot follows Harry and the Phoenix's attempts to survive against the odds until a very exciting denoument.

Okay, for the moment that's all I'm saying. In answer to the big questions:

(a) Yes, a *major* character dies. And yes, it's moving.

(b) Yes, Harry gets a girlfriend. The toe-curling embarrassment of adolescent love is very well portrayed.

(c) Yes, you get to learn a lot more about Harry's past, and why he has to be with the Dursley's in the summer (though if you'd read the previous books carefully, chances are you'd already have guessed). You also learn why Voldemort has always been so keen to kill him - and this you won't be able to guess from the previous books.

Overall, I thought the book well-written and a great page-turner. However, for all that, I personally thought it was too long - some descriptive passages and side-plots, whilst good to read, could have been shorter or excised. It also is far darker in tone than previous works. This is neither a good nor bad thing. However, I think younger readers may find some of the plots rather confusing rather than frightening.

I'd also say that this book will make a superb film - the final action scene is superb.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I read the WHOLE thing, one long 12 hour and ten minute sitting. Well worth the wait, just an incredible, mature, delightful book that was utterly fantastic.

Adam

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Does anyone want to branch this thread into a spoiler-allowing thread for further discussion? (I've just finished my 8 hour marathon, only interrupted by work)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I just finished the novel at 10:30 EST.

Man.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW

Initial impressions? An addictive as hell read, worthy addition to the saga, although lacking the "epic" scope of the last few books (especially compared to Goblet). This book is more political/psychological in nature, addressing issues such as unity, divisivness, propaganda, trust, relationships, bonds, the meaning of family, etc..

Right now, I'm still ranking the books as follows:

1. Azkaban
2. Goblet
3. Phoenix
4. Philosopher's
5. Chamber

There's probably no way this book could have lived up to 3 years of expectations, but I was not disappointed. The entire story needs to settle in my brain for a few days before I can comment further, but man! What a day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks