What's new

Muggle Alert: Who's Ready For "HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX"? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I hate the title and Im not to crazy about having the book in hard cover but Ill venture out and see if I can pick a copy up.

I loaned the first 4 to a friend who keeps forgetting to give them back to me, so I couldnt reread them before this one.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm so ready :)

Finished re-reading book 4 on Tuesday there, just to refresh the story & "cliff hangers" in my mind. Planning to go pick the new one up at midnight at our local Borders with my wife & a friend.

Should I reserve a copy, or will there be plenty around?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I reserved TWO copies, just to be on the safe side.:)

My local Barnes And Noble cannot stay open past 11PM due to a town ordinance, so they are opening at 7AM on Saturday morning.

Don't know if I can wait that extra 7 hours!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
What do you think the odds are of me just dropping by my local Borders or Barnes & Noble Saturday and getting a copy with out a reservation?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wouldn't think there's any problem in finding copies on Saturday. I remember the release of the last book, there were piles of copies everywhere.

The movies may have expanded the audience somewhat, but I'd still think they should be readily available unless there's a distribution screw-up.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually travelling on Saturday but supposedly when I get to my destination there is already a plan to swing by someplace and pick it up on the way from the airport.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Yee-Ming,

You can forget about either Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger pushing the daisies, if the spoiler that the New York Daily News put up and then pulled from its web site is true. I still think it's a character that is a big supporter of Harry--namely Hagrid.

Well, I'll find out if I'm right by the time the book comes out! :D

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Costco is my usual source. The web site indicates the hardbook is selling for US$15.79 - that's nearly half the cover price. They also show (online) the special edition slip case for $33.99, retail is $60.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I was on pre-order with a major chain here in town; they called to tell me today that they had received 2,500 books for HP: OTP, however, they had pre-orders for almost 3,000.. I asked if they had any city wide at any of their other several locations.. nope, they had received about 16,000 city wide, and were short about 600 copies vs. pre-commits.

I'm going to have to camp out at a smaller retailer tomorrow and pray ;)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I received email notification that my copy has shipped! Can't wait! My wife and I will be brawling over who reads it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

From a quantity perspective, you may have better luck at a big retailer like a Wal-Mart SuperCenter or a Costco. They should have them by the pallet-load and they're probably getting priority consideration over smaller retailers.

I can't believe there's a shortage. The first printing for this book is nearly double that for the prior book and I saw piles of those everywhere on the first weekend of release. :)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
So if someone has never read the first four books (me) would it be worth just jumping in and reading the fifth and not being totally lost?

I have seen the movie and have no intention of going out and buying the first four books, but am somewhat curious about possibly using this one as a summer reader if it wouldn't be to hard to follow along.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I think I'll just come out with that I believe that it would be fairly unwise to have missed the two best stories thus far in the Harry Potter series.

Go out, pick up Prisoner of Azkaban, and the Goblet of Fire. Fiendishly addictive, well written, and pretty much a joy.

There is nothing in the first two books that you need, if you've seen the films. (YMMV, although the books are an order of magnitude superior to the films.)

There may be brief, helpful summaries of concepts embedded in the Order of the Phoenix, but reading Book #5 first will definitely ruin the "drop the book" ending of Goblet of Fire, and possibly a great deal of Prisoner of Azkaban.

Regards,

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I've been calling around town to see if anyone has been selling early... no cheaters. At least they wont tell me over the phone.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the books.. it's just much easier for me to run out and buy it for my wife on my lunch hour than to try and find it tomorrow.

I wonder if some college punk has put out a pallet at WalMart? Hmmm...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ug! I sitll haven't recieved shipment notice from Amazon. They promised delivery by release date!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks