Muffled Speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...for those of you that read my "Problem with old Sony Reciever" thread...I got that one working. But now I've got another problem. The speakers that I'm working with are Polk RTA 8TL from the late 80s. I noticed that one of the speakers sounds muffled. There isn't a hiss or anything...it just sounds muffuled, like if someone was holding a pillow over the front of the speaker or something.

Is this problem fixable...or should I just tell my parents to get new speakers?

Thx.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I read the other post. Swap the speakers, and see if it is the speaker or the receiver. Then at least you know which one to get rid of.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Well...I already did that...as I said, I fixed the reciever problem. I hooked up these speakers to another amp, and as I said...one of the speakers sounds muffled. Should I try to take it to a repair shop or what?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That is for your/their pocketbook to decide. If they really like the way the Polks sound, then try to have them repaired. Otherwise, go with some new ones. The cost of repairing them could get into the neighborhood of new speakers though...

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay. Thx...they aren't my speakers...they're my parents' like I said in another post, so I'll inform them of what I've found.

But, let me ask to make sure...this is definitely a problem that would require professional repair, right?