What's new

Much diff. after SPL setup? (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
There was an improvement for me when using the SPL meter- of course, it only cost me $40.00 U.S., though.
It helps with speaker calibration and I even have a receiver with a built in SPL meter in the remote (HK 225); however, I found the radio shack meter offered a finer tweak. It's fun to play around with and when getting the sub set up- it gives you a reason to research the spl meter corrections and apply them for the best sub set up possible.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I got mine off ebay for about $30 us shipped. I took me about a month of poking around there before I could get one at a decent price though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yuppers. I was really surprised by how far off my levels were by trying to do it "just by ear alone".

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I just bought one for a friend for $34.99 (US) at my local RS outlet. They actually had it in stock! An SPL meter is an ESSENTIAL piece of equipment for HT. Get one, don't even mull over it. Use the correction factors for low bass, and get a calibration disc like Avia or VE. You will not regret doing this - the difference and improvement is often major.

Ed

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
I will be getting mine today, on special for only US$17!!! Used to sell for US$40 here. Bargain if there ever was one :)
Cheers,
Mike

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Part of the game, I know people who spend thousands for PrePros (avm20) and thousands on amps, and thousands on speakers and interconnects only to cry about how much money the SPL meter cost, makes no sense to me at all cannot blame that on WAF, can you???
I dont care who you are try to do it by ear, you will be off. I have won money on this, I have never seen anyone, experts or novices get it right by ear, you are going to be off a few db ,more important you will never come back to the same place twice by ear, forget about dial position or +1, or -2 use the meter, putting it in the remote is a good start.
Close your eyes and find the 75db spot on pink noise, do it again.
Youve heard great sounding systems. . . just attention to detail. . .

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Its well worth the 30 -40 $ it costs,As stated in another post,you wont believe how far off you can be just by"eye balling" the sound settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks