What's new

MTV VMAs with Madonna, Britney, and Christina (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, Madonna wore a "Kylie Minogue" shirt during a concert that was broadcast on TV once, and that actually helped Kylie sell some records when she came over a year or so ago.

The only group of people who are clueless about Kylie Minogue is North Americans, and we only hold such a small market compared to the rest of the world
Actually, America is the largest music industry in the world. Watch an episode of British MTV or some other music channel, and chances are that most of the music on there is from America. Not too long ago, for some reason, MTV2 ran a recent episode of British TRL, and I think 2 videos in there (out of 10) weren't from American artists.

The second largest music industry in the world is Japan.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Actually, America is the largest music industry in the world.
And of course, both your statement & the original statement can still be correct - the statement was that "the rest of the world combined" outsells the US. I think that's probably a pretty fair guess, but I've got no stats to back that up.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
True, US is the largest music industry, but compared to the earnings around the world, North American market alone is nothing.

You can be humongous is North America alone and makes much less $$ compared to if you're being famous all around the world except in North America.

Also regarding the T-shirt, the correct chronology is that Madonna wore the T-shirt long AFTER the Kylie's album "Light Years" released in the US.

Put it this way. Kylie doesn't do stunts and she makes more headlines and money than Madonna.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I don't see what the big deal was over this. It's just choreograhped nonsense, much like 90% of the lip synced, sing-a-long with the DAT track garbage performances that pass for music on the VMA's every year.

I know, I know, the stunt was intended to shock and surprise people to get ratings.

I'd be more shocked if Beyonce actually tried to sing, if Christina didn't have a special guest join her on stage, if 50 Cent and Mary J Blige could come even remotely close to sounding like they do on their record and if the VMA yielded even one decent live musical performance.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, my point is, there aren't many successful performers from the 80's that are still around today, let alone performing for big venues like the VMA's... Madonna is one the very FEW.
And Madonna last had a major hit album when....? :rolleyes:

Last popular song....? :rolleyes:

The truth of the matter is that Madonna has got more brains than talent. She made contacts within the entertainment media very early in her career, and it is these people, whether they're involved with Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, or The E! Network who will continue to provide coverage on her practically at her say-so. That's the reason why others have faded and she still remains. The VMA live crowd went crazy because they saw BRITNEY KISSING A WOMAN, not necessarily BRITNEY KISSING MADONNA. The real talent here belongs to her agent for enabling her to receive Britney's tongue...

Anyone remember Evita? It was promoted to be the next Sound Of Music, and it BOMBED completely, and the reason for that is plain and simple: The general public WILL NOT pay their money to watch Madonna, so she's better off doing what she does best on TV for free. :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

That number is way too high. Once I heard about it I was very much looking forward to downloading the kiss but now that I've seen it I'm dissapointed. The performance has been hyped as being on par with an orgy but honestly it's a half step less intimate than your average honey how was work peck on the lips if you know what I mean :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
In this case, "sex" gave me a cheap, free, thrill, and I still didn't watch the rest of the show, nor did I go out and buy Madonna/Britney/Christina's albums ;)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
And Madonna last had a major hit album when....?

Last popular song....?
Madonna might not be topping the charts like she was 20 years ago. But guess what that was 20 years ago since her music was chart topping material. Times have changed. What Madonna does have is staying power. So what if all her albums don’t shoot straight to the top and stay there from months on end like in the 80's. I’m sure there are allot of unknown bands releasing records that would kill for Madonna's recent record sale numbers, even if they are not chart toppers. Madonna could most likely sell out any venue in any major city. Who would come, a bunch of people in there 30's and 40's that grew up listening to the material girl.

The VMA's have always had shoddy performances and been popularity contests. They are not trying to be the Grammy awards. It’s a show for 16-25 year olds, who think MTV is there god. If you don’t fall into this age range and belief, you are probably going to be disappointed.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Madonna could most likely sell out any venue in any major city. Who would come, a bunch of people in there 30's and 40's that grew up listening to the material girl.
Well, her last tour tanked, but IF she ever decides to go on the road again (not likely), I'll be sure to keep track of the (low) attendance numbers.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Madonna could most likely sell out any venue in any major city. Who would come, a bunch of people in there 30's and 40's that grew up listening to the material girl.
Like Ric said, her last tour tank, whereas Kylie Minogue's stadium tickets were sold out within hours. Madonna is just popular in North America and still remembered in other parts of the world. But staying power she doesn't have.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Wow, some of you people have it in for Madonna.
Not to repeat myself again, but what she has cannot be called "staying power" in the traditional sense. Carlos Santana, The Rolling Stones, Minogue, etc. THAT'S staying power. All Madonna has is a heavier-than-usual influence on the entertainment media, and little more.
If you say so... :rolleyes

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
If you say so...
How else can you explain the fact that she's been absent from any of Billboard's Top 20 list for over a decade, yet THERE SHE IS at the VMA kissing Britney. THERE SHE IS on TV ripping off her old song with Missy Elliot as an embarassed accomplice. On her last tour, she and her entourage were performing in 3/4 empty arenas, but yet her baby being born was covered like it was the rebirth of the Christ Child?? As for her movie career, she's ruined more directing careers than Sen. Joseph McCarthy. Just look at the filmmakers she's buried! Anyone remember Jim "Shanghai Surprise" Goddard or James "Who's That Girl" Foley, Susan "Desperately Seeking Susan" Seidelman, Alan "Evita" Parker, Uli "Body Of Evidence" Edel, John "Next Best Thing" Schlesinger(literally) and of course her latest victim, Guy "Swept Away" Ritchie, who's still trying to dig his way out of that hole he created by working with "the wife". The exception is Penny "League Of Their Own" Marshall, who (wisely) held Madonna's total screen time in that film to about 10 minutes.

Face it, there's no way to explain why the media loves her, it's one of those freakish things we might never understand, but it DOES bother me to see her continue to land acting and singing gigs in place of younger and better talent. She should at least just head off into the sunset with some dignity, but she just doesn't seem to want to ALLOW that to happen. Has-beens have never had it so good...:D

DonnyD

Screenwriter
None of these women are popular because of anything I ever bought of theirs.... which by the way is NONE....

It just seems to me that Madonna set a precedent of being a slut and Christina followed right along with Britney apparently seeing that it works somewhat and wants to join in too.

IMPO the public simply throws too much money at people such as these ignorant (albeit good-looking) persons and that seems to make them think they are really somebody, kinda like movie stars......and we all know how stupid/ uneducated they are especially the ones who "cater "to the Clintons...LOL

Being mid 50's and an old hippie era rock and roller, you really can't expect me to like any of the music around these days. Just MHO.............

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
and we all know how stupid/ uneducated they are especially the ones who "cater "to the Clintons...LOL
Their so stupid yet they managed to sell millions of albums and enjoy a high profile, rich lifestyle with millions of fans. :rolleyes

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Their so stupid yet they managed to sell millions of albums and enjoy a high profile, rich lifestyle with millions of fans.
As a Kylie fan I should say, "Naaah, even without the stupid stunts, Kylie still makes more money than either Britney, Madonna or Christina Aguilera."

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of none of them, I wonder why you give a fuck about who's making more than whom...

Myopia. Look it up.

Send us the occasional update from "David's World" when you get a chance...

David Susilo

Screenwriter
uhmmm, aren't we talking about staying power and the success (or lack thereof) as the byproduct of stunts like this?

oooh, and "Can't Get You Out of My Mind" is more successful than "Die Another Day" too... and without stunts or a movie to hype-up the sales.

:D :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks