What's new

MTV Video Music Awards (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Since when has this not been the case with MTV?
Honestly, i dont know. Im canadian, and i wathc Much Music. They play a wide variety of stuff, and quite alot of some good rock/alternative, and not just pop/rap/r&b. It seens like the majority of MTV is just that.
:confused:

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Much Music is just as bad as MTV except for the fact that they have to follow the Canadian content laws. Which means we get the same ratio of rap/pop crap that mtv serves up.

Its sad but true and there is nothing that will change that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MTV is mostly pop/rap/hip-hop, but every once in a while a good video will end up thrown into the mix. MTV2 is also JUST music videos, so throughout the day some good music will get played.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Jon--Wow, that was harsh! How can you disrespect an artist like M&M like that man? I mean...his talent is obvious. Why can't you see it? You should be ashamed of yourself!
*sarcasm off*:D
You said it Jon. There is something about M&M that just bugs the crap out of me. Man that little f'er gets on my nerves. I'd like to meet up with him in an alley and open up a can of whoop ass on the little mf'er! Teach him to show some freakin respect...who the hell is he to put down anyone elses music for Pete's sake?
And the dude with the freakin bucket on his head and mask...WHAT? You have got to be kidding me. If you need a gimmick to draw attention to yourself then just go home and stay there. We don't need ya.
Geez...freakfest is right. What the heck is wrong with just being...normal ("What is normal"...not being a freakin freak!)...like, say, Jeff Tweedy...where talent is king...not gimmicks and all that other garbage.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Disclaimer: My intentions are not to offend, only to vent.:)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The Vines/Hives thing was neat, but not that great. They're probably not that good live (they weren't that good last night).
I disagree with you about them not being that great. To be honest I don't listen to almost any music being shoveled out there anymore. I just find a majority of it to be utter crap. (besides movie scores and some choice artists that I do listen to regularly).
The VMA's were my first introduction to the Hives/Vines and I was very impressed. I don't even like punk but damn was I into thier performance. That was some good stuff and enough to get a purchase out of me.
As for the rest of the show, many have said it better. Disappointing to the say the least. M&M still being M&M (no change from the norm) and Christina Aguilera coming out looking like she just took one too many snorts of something special in the back.
Also can someone please tell Justin Timberlake that he is not Michael Jackson!(One of the few remaining Michael Jackson fans here:D) His little solo performance was the very definition of a crap ripoff.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The VMA's were my first introduction to the Hives/Vines and I was very impressed. I don't even like punk but damn was I into thier performance
I've seen the videos that they both became "big" from and the performances of at the VMAs were not that good compared to what the songs on their respective albums sounded like.

And technically, they're more rock than punk.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm late on this but I just saw the show yesterday and have but one brief comment:

With all the lip syncing and "sing-a-longs" to the DAT track that goes on at the VMA's year after year, I think it's about time they give a moon man for The Most Influential Artist in MTV history.

And the award goes to: Milli Vanilli.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Even I was amazed at how bad the show was this year. Lip-synching rap was hilarious. Next year, they'll be lip-synching their acceptance speeches.

I thought my generation (I'm 32) had little hope. Today's generation truly has no future, if the "artists" on MTV are representative of today's kids.

Bah! {insert cranky smiley face here}

-Dan B.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I haven't even hit on all the lip-synching. Probably because it has become so commonplace with today's teeny-popular music. I ask you, truely, where is the talent in lip-synching/mouthing along to a CD track while strutting along the stage looking pretty? All style...no substance = mega $$$? Processed music rules the land? Little girl M&M a major star?

This is indeed a very sad state of musical (term used loosely) affairs.

Atleast G&R and the other rock acts actually perform live onstage. It sometimes doesn't sound that great but it is better than faking it and just being out there to look pretty.

I am not sure why all this bothers me so much because I suppose there is a place for this processed stuff with the teeny-boppers in which style will always rule over substance. I guess it boils down to the fact that many of the most talented musicians/songwriters go almost completey ignored while the M&M's of the world rule the musical landscape.

Just the way it is I guess...what can ya do.

Again, just my opinion of course. Maybe I'm the moron and am missing the point of why it is this way. I'm not out to offend anyone who likes this sort of stuff. I simply just do not understand it.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
It all seems vaguely familiar doesn't it? Let's set the wayback machine to the late 70's.

The music industry was suffering. The charts were dominated by disco, which was nothing more than processed beat/dance music with no substance. Sales were in the dumps. The industry was worried that the emerging tape format would destroy them since people could just copy music for free. Sound familiar?

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the videos that they both became "big" from and the performances of at the VMAs were not that good compared to what the songs on their respective albums sounded like.
One day Morgan you will realize that people have a little something called an opinion. In my ever so humble opinion I think thier performance was fantastic. We'll have to agree to disagree as usual.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
Todd, yes, only today studio technology seems to be the sole driving force in the industry. :frowning:
We need to get back to basics. Drums, guitars, keyboard and a lead-singer performing their act live. That's what music is all about. Preferably played by the hands of those who wrote it themselves. I don't want perfectly engineered digital sounds completely void of nuances and feelings.
The record industry can blame MP3 all they want for lacking sales, but they dug the hole themselves by pushing the teeny-bopper thing too far and not offer any alternatives! It's all directed towards the 13-20 year olds today. I'm 26 and I can't even find any music I like anymore. Well, allright I can but it's way out of the main-stream and never played in the radio or on MTV. I have to listen to John Peel on BBC Radio 1 to get news of quality bands and it's often a pain in the a** to get a hold of the CDs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Romier-

I was just saying that I thought the way the songs sounded live weren't as good as the way they sounded on the actual albums. It's kind of to be expected, but their performances were still better than everyone elses. Just clarifying what I was saying, and I respect (and partially agree with) your opinion.

The record industry can blame MP3 all they want for lacking sales, but they dug the hole themselves by pushing the teeny-bopper thing too far and not offer any alternatives!
I remember when Simon from American Idol said that Michael Jackson should quit whining at Sony for his album selling poorly because it was probably his worst album ever. Record companies are starting to make really bad music and then blame other things for horrible sales.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, i dont know. Im canadian, and i wathc Much Music. They play a wide variety of stuff, and quite alot of some good rock/alternative, and not just pop/rap/r&b. It seens like the majority of MTV is just that.
In the year that Cablevision was changing over to Time Warner here, we got cable service from all over the place (including a few Canadian channels like MuchMusic). It came across as the same thing as MTV, but with lesser quality flash.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Off topic, I just wanted to say that "Hot In Here" made for some pretty interesting things involving females I saw this past summer. :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
. Drums, guitars, keyboard and a lead-singer performing their act live. That's what music is all about.
Agreed! I got back tonight at around 12:30am from an Alicia Keys concert here in Hershey, PA and it was a spectacular performance.(still sobering up:) I should have been in bed 3 hours ago but I can't sleep!) Drums, Guitars, Keyboards and one very sentuous and fine lead singer actually singing her heart out for the crowd.
I know Alicia is a pretty mainstream entertainer but I don't think that diminishes her talent in any way, shape or form. Its rare to find a singer that sounds so damn good live. Alicia is one of those singers.
I know this was a bit off-topic but what Lars said above struck a cord since I'm still pretty high on her performance...
Morgan-
Thanks for the clarification. Understood.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Drums, guitars, keyboard and a lead-singer performing their act live. That's what music is all about.
Rush rules :)
Best live shows I've seen:
-> Rush
-> Metallica
-> Pink Floyd
-> John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco DeLucia (wow!!)
-> Jethro Tull
-> Yes
Anyway, to keep my post on-topic a bit :) I like many of the new performers and their songs, and many have talent as well as other have mentioned. It was nice to see Michelle Branch get an award, a younger musician with a lot of talent, IMO.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Not only did Michelle Branch get an award, but she got the viewer's choice award, which really says something about how MTV's audience looks at her.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Michelle Branch is one of those female artists that have a hell of a lot going for her. I kind of hope her career gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks