What's new

MTV Video Music Awards (1 Viewer)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Alright, I didn't catch the whole show because I was working. But the 1 part that I did see was Christina Aguilar. DAMN!!! I know somebody has a few pics of her from last night on there computer. In which case please post them. That would rule. And while I didnt see the GNR performance Im going to assume it sucked because lets face it, GNR without Slash is not something I want to see.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm really surprised at the vitriol aimed at the G'n'R return last night. I thought Axl did a good job. I'd heard when talk of Chinese Democracy first started that Axl was grossly overweight. Now when someone says grossly overweight, I'm thinking Axl's head on Louie Anderson's body. Now people are saying he looked bloated, etc., last night. To me, he looked like a guy who'd aged 10 years since I'd last seen him. As it had actually been 10 years, no big whoop.
He did get out of breath on occasion, and he did mess with his earpiece a good deal. That's just a byproduct of running and jumping around. Jimmy Fallon was more out of breath at every moment in his intro set than Axl ever got. Further, when it came to a couple of spots in there where the song called on Axl's chops, he let out some impressive timbre and strength.
And the band was VERY accomplished. That was some smoking playing.

StevenW

Second Unit
Further, when it came to a couple of spots in there where the song called on Axl's chops, he let out some impressive timbre and strength.
Can you pass the bong please! He sounded like Mickey Mouse trying to scream LOL. sad and funny at the same time.

Seriously that was no where near the notes AXL used to belt out. Im thinking he fucked up his voice with the initial scream on Welcome to the Jungle, top that off with the out of shape running out of breath, bad earpiece and you have a miserable performance, which AXL had.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The White Stripes still did pretty good, though I would have liked them to get Video of the Year, since their video was the most original (and yet still good) video of the last year. Eminem is doing the same shtick that he always does, and while it's entertaining, it's nothing new. Even so, I'd rather have Eminem get the award than someone who really sucks.

The Vines/Hives thing was neat, but not that great. They're probably not that good live (they weren't that good last night).

I hated the way the show was shot. It didn't feel like it was going on right then, plus it was just annoying.

NickSo:

I've seen Ed the Sock, and he's funny, but Triumph the Insult Comic Dog isn't from MTV, he's from Late Night with Conan O'Brien. He's really dirty and funny as hell, plus he's been around for a while. You should try to track down the video where he went to a line in front of the Ziegfeld in NYC for Episode II and made fun of all the nerds. Probably one of the funniest moments in Late Night history.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Its gone all commercial and pop
Since when has this not been the case with MTV?

I didn't see much of the show (although MTV will certainly give me more than ample opportunities to remedy that), but I did catch the GNR performance. It didn't sound too good to me, Axl's vocals in particular. Their appearance was a coup for MTV, but the end product was less than stellar.

I did find it funny to see the artists being honored for the videos since I suspect that ultimately it's the visual aspect being honored, not the music. I really like the White Stripes album, but I'd bet that the creativity in the "Fell In Love With a Girl" video stemmed from the director/art director/editor than the band.

As for Eminem, why be surprised about any tiff with Moby? He mocks him in "Without Me", the song and the video, so it's not like it came out of the blue. I can't say that I necessarily care for what's coming out of his mouth all the time, but I do recognize that the guy has talent and a sense of humor. As for the tough guy act, it's probably as much posturing as you get from all the others, but it helps him sell records.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Ed the Sock has been around for about a decade, he started on some cable access station (I think).

How long has Triumph been around? He's been on Conan for about 5 years. Did he exist before that?

Peter

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
What about the other two though, Rich, that you chose to ignore?

I don't know why you even bothered watching it, Rich, you've made it quite clear in the past you've zero tolerance for rap/hip hop which the MTV VMAs are bound to feature lots of.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I would say there were some problems with Axl's voice and he couldn't quite hit the nodes he wanted to. I'm wondering if the delay of Chinese Democracy is because Axl is having problems with his voice.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he has abused his voice so much that it has taken permanent damage. He has always given himself a 100% for the fans and for that he deserves some god damn respect IMO!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Lars you might be right about his voice. I remember back in the Illusion days he had done serious damage to his voice with nonstop touring and his less then healthy lifestyle. I guess I was kind of hoping it was the equipment and that his long hiatus along with a cleaner lifestyle had solved his voice problems. Hopefully he just needs practice which he will get by touring internationally before the band hits the US. I'm sure the reason they have been doing their higher profile gigs overseas was to get the new band to a higher standard before he comes under the scrutiny of the American fans.
GNR without Slash is not something I want to see.
Don't be so quick to say that. I've seen Slash live and though it was a trip to see one of my all time favorite musicians perform, all his new material along with the band he put together sucked. Don't get me wrong he still showed incredible ability but it was obvious he wasn't the driving force in the writing of GNR's hits. Not that it was Axl either, probably Izzy. However I have got the impression that Axl's talent lies more in producing. I think it is possible for Axl to put together something special. And if you heard Buckethead's solo stuff you would see he is a world class guitarist. He is not a Slash replacement but given good material he could rank in the same league as Slash.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
How long has Triumph been around? He's been on Conan for about 5 years. Did he exist before that?
Smigel used him in his stand-up act before that. Like I said I'm pretty sure he came up with the idea while still in college.
Don't get me wrong, though, I like Ed the Sock, although I'll admit I've seen a couple episodes of the new series and I don't think it's as funny as some of the older stuff. Once you appear on Royal Canadian Air Farce it's safe to assume your career is kind of in recession. ;)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
For the last few years I make it a point to NOT tune into these crap festivals. Wish I had checked it out this year though, from all indications it was a real Freakshow! :)...fat, wiggy, crackeling Axl, cheap whores, Micheal "Elephant Man" Jackson in full CREATURE mode, some kind of puppets?, a guitarist with a KFC bucket on his head (hey, I don't care how damn talented you are, you loose a bit of credibility as a serious artist when you put a bucket on yer head!), nastiness between Moby and the talentless void that is M&M. ...I think you meant to say that M&M is really Dr. Dre? And I agree with you 100%...Dre is an EXTREMELY talented producer and could probably make just about anyone he chose to pick off the street a multi-platinum "artist".
I remember the days when these type shows were filled with talented musicians and gifted songwriters...now they are just s***fests.
Sorry if I've offended any fans of the above artists, but IMO they would be better suited to The New Gong Show.
....I better stop now before I say what I really feel! ;)
Jon

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The Vines/Hives thing was neat, but not that great. They're probably not that good live (they weren't that good last night).
I've seen The Hives live... They're VERY good. They got a little itty bitty sidestage on the VMAs, and the camera work was lacking... never focusing on the cool stuff. At the end, Pelle said something along the lines We're done, so you might as well go home now. Their stage banter is like that.
Give The Hives a full stage, like the one that The Vines got, and they would have been seen as better band... Pelle would have strutted all over the stage, and the guitarists would have climbed on top of the 8 foot speaker towers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks