What's new

MTV Video Music Awards (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Well I think it's been about 10 years since MTV stopped playing videos so I wonder why they still think they're in the position to judge videos, but anyway... Speaking of video... Hey MTV! I'd get a refund from whomever you paid to uplink the video from the awards site to your studio facility because you're only getting 10 frames a second instead of 30. What? You say that's intentional? You say it looks hip? It doesn't look hip. It looks like $#!+ and it's giving me a f***ing headache. I'm changing the channel.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
They've all been bad in the past, but this year, it made me cringe. Axl embarrassed himself.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
To make Guns and Roses out to be some sort of uber band is laughable; outside of being racist homophobes who were convicted of beating their wives, what really did they bring the musical world? Sure, I enjoyed a few of their numbers, but to give them a stage (when they sounded like crap) is the equivelent of trying to stage a New Kids of the Block reunion (I'm sure they'll try that next)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Careful what you say about bands, in my opinion Guns n' Roses is the closest generation x ever came to getting their version of the stones. The only reason people stopped listening to GNR is they stopped putting out original material. They still have an incredible international fan base so it is a big deal to many. As far as being homophobes Axl apologized eventually by performing at the Freddie Mercury tribute. Personally I think he has nothing to be sorry for because one in a million is written from a certain mindframe and viewpoint that while not correct is understandable. Plus it is not nearly as offensive as what you hear on rap records these days. I know you didn't intend to make any personal insults but be careful what you say. This forum is supposed to be a step above the typical Aint it cool talkback.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Also did anyone feel that Axl was having trouble with his earpiece? I think that explains some problems he was having with his vocals though I feel he still did a good job. One thing this proved to me that I couldn't hear on the Vegas and Rio bootlegs was that the new band sounds incredible! Buckethead really showed ability as an axeman on the big closing in Paradise City.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Wow...that sucked...Axl Rose...and all the MTV talking heads were acting as if it was the greatest performance ever.

It was like amateur hour on MTV. Then again that's what MTV pretty much is 24/7!

I also thought Jimmy Fallon fell flat...the first segment was OK, but it was all downhill from there.

But Axl Rose...that was embarrassing.

I am glad none of the bands/artists I listen to ever appear on this show. It is nothing more than a showcase for mostly teeny-bopper acts with all style and little substance. I don't even know why I watched it...I suppose mainly to check out the hotties! Shakira! Wow! :b

Look away people. The good stuff is elsewhere.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
You guys are being way to tough on Axl over some technical problems which he was able to compensate for. GNR was one of the best live acts of the last 20 years and if you had seen some of the footage from their recent gigs you would see the new band is coming close to that level of showmanship. I know a lot of people would love to see Axl fall on his face but give him a chance you might be surprised.:)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Sorry man, but Axl has ALWAYS been horrible live.
The only technical problem he was compensating for, was his inability to hit the notes he strives for.
That said, I think Madagascar is a cool tune, and will probably sound great in studio form.
I also found Axl's facelift and braids to be disracting. He looks like an old man with all of the testosterone sucked from his body.
It really sucks when rockstars start to show their age.
And it especially sucks when I have to realize that I'm old enough to remember when they were cool!
:D
Oh God, I've become that guy who laments the lack of Foghat on the radio!!!!!

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
And another thing...could someone PLEASE tell M&M that it is OK to wear something other than matching sport pants and jacket?! Geez. He must have a closet full of those dreadful ensembles. Get some taste already.
Sorry...don't mean to lash out so much. But that guy just irritates me to no end.:angry:
But I did like Shakira's outfit...yeah baby!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
First their definetly were technical problems. Axl could easily be seen fiddling with his earpiece throughout the performance and seemed to be indicating that he couldn't hear through it. As anyone knows when you are unable to hear your own voice it is near impossible to sing correctly. Two its of your opinion that he has no ability live. I'm not old enough to have ever seen GNR live (they finished their tour just as my parents started letting me go to shows) but in my collection of bootleg concerts and the recent live album Axl does as good a job possible of singing songs in that difficult style. Third, facelift? Axl is 40 years old. He definetly doesn't look like he did during Appetite but he has kept himself in pretty good shape considering his old lifestyle. I don't mean do sound harsh I just gotta defend my boy Axl. I got a feeling a lot of his fanbase wasn't watching the VMAs. I wouldn't have been either but all the fansites were reporting rumours of their performance earlier today. Hopefully some other fans will come out of the woodworks to back me up. Peace out.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The film look of it REALLY annoyed me. It felt like watching something from 10 years ago rather than something current... don't know why, but that's how it felt. I don't want live TV to look like film. It made me feel "disconnected" for lack of a better word. I couldn't stand watching it and turned it off after about half an hour.

I'll have to tune in to a rerun to watch G'N'R, one of my all time favorite bands.

/Mike

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry but Jimmy Fallon sucks. He's likable and seems like a nice guy but I've never found him funny and tonight he seemed to hit a new low. I have two words for the folks in charge of making decisions like this: Dave Chapelle. Come on, people!

I would personally appreciate it if somebody might be able to provide a more detailed technical explanation of why tonight's show looked so bad. Yes it was shot at 24fps instead of 30 but so are most of my DVDs and VHS tapes and they don't look anywhere near this bad after 3:2 pulldown is applied to them (which I presume is what was done here as well).

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
Benson, wait no longer, the back-up just arrived! :)

I was really surprised to see GNR back in the lime light, and boy did it feel good! Sure Axl had some problems on stage, but whether or not those problems were technical or truly vocal I cannot say, but I still felt like all the other acts that had performed at the VMAs this year seemed sooo low quality, when GNR took the stage! No other band can rock the house like they can, IMO. You can say what you want, but Axl is still more energetic than any other rock n roller to date - hell the camera even had trouble following him during the first 20 seconds of Welcome to the Jungle!

What a sight, after such a long time out of the public's eye, I really hope GNR is on their way back. They are much needed in a world so full of shitty acts with all style and no substance as another member so nicely put it.

BTW...Eminem...what an idiot. Ok, he appologized but gimme a break. Tonight he showed himself the way I always thought he was - a total idiot, with some serious attitude problems to boot.

Pink was a great laugh, haha, and honest, I like that...

Michael Jackson scared me! Did he have a cold or is it just his numerous nose jobs that made his voice so nasal??

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
This show proves that popular music in general has gone straight to the crapper. Sure, there may be people who will disagree and may not like my comments, but I'm sick of it frankly. Not ONE good, talented band was nominated nor is played on that godforsaken station. This generation of "music" fans has a very short attention span and I'm almost ashamed to be a part of my own generation. Where's the good instrumentally talented bands? Where are the artists who write music for the sake of creating good music? I just don't understand it. It's all about fashion and popularity. If MTV tells you to like a band, you'd better.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Say what you will about the lack of real musicianship and talent in the crop (crap?) of bands that exist these days (computers can make anyone sound good), but songwriting is still a respectable craft. Just because a songwriter doesnt perform it, but sucessfully has it recorded and sold through a performing artist doesn't mean their work should be spit on.

How many of Elvis Presley's released songs were his own creation? You could count them on one finger! And he's got the most successful track record of any artist. Songwriters like Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka, Mac Davis, Kris Kristofferson, and others gave great songs to many artists besides recording many themselves.

Some songs will return and defy their age. Look at disco (an extreme example) - when disco was killed you wouldn't be caught dead doing choreography to the Village People's YMCA, but you see it everywhere from sporting events to wedding receptions (but I think people will want to question your sanity if you start singing Macho Man or In The Navy :b ).

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Problem is Keith, that most songwriting is just as bad (or worse) than the performers of today.

"It geeetin hot in herrrrre". Dumb.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
What happened to Chrisitna Aguillera? Her outfit was fantastic. :eek:
However, it seems like she is on something now.
I think System of a Down and Emeinem were the only artists I liked that were nominated for anything. I also believe that they need to move the VMA's to M2.
-Dean-

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I didn't see the show last night, but I have seen Axl, Slash and the crew perform live and can tell you that they put on an incredible live show back in '90 or '91.

They started the show late (10:30pm). Axl came on stage, apologized for the delay and announced that they would not obey the local ordinance dictating all live shows end by 11:00pm (it was an indoor concert - Palace of Auburn Hills.) His words were to the effect "You paid good money to see us and we are going to put on a good show. F*** the fine, we don't need any more money." Not exactly the brightest bulb in the box, but it was surprising that they even cared about the fans.

They performed for well over two hours including an unplugged set. Unlike many of todays bands, they sounded as good live as they did recorded. Some of the songs were done a bit different than on the record, but still very good.

Say what you want about Axl's age, but I think Mick and the boys have proven that even 60 year olds can still put on a great rock concert.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Yes, I thought I disliked Eminem before. Now, I have lost any minuscule of respect I could have had for him.

Can anybody tell me the back story of his resentment towards Moby? I'll be quite surprised if dont agree with what, if anything, Moby might have said about Eminem in the past.

C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks