What's new

MTV Movie Awards (1 Viewer)

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
We're throught with the Oscars, but that doesn't mean the awards are neccessarily over. While some film buffs would write the MTV Awards as more teenybopper-inspired starflucking, the more enlightened (ok, the more party-hardy) get to enjoy the

Any particular predictions?

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Some ideas thus far. I've edited to back up some of my predicitons. Those in bold are the most likely in each category to nom'd.

By the way, I'm competely aware I left out Signs and My Big Fat Greek Wedding . Bothe were huge hits, but I think they skewed older, and much too broad.

Best Actor

Tobey Magire, Spider-Man
Eminem, Eight Mile
Vin Diesel, XXX
Adam Sandler, Punch Drunk Love
Leonardo Dicaprio, Catch Me if You Can

First, i'd like to say I'm not sure about Vin Diesel. He already seems to be yesterday's news, and xXx has not held on very strong on the pop-culture radar. Expect a Viggo Mortenson upset. Ben Affleck could also appear, considering his three hit movies within 12 months.

Adam Sandler is a perennial MTV favourite, so a double nomination this year, much akin to other perennial favourite Jim Carrey, seems likely.

Leonardo DiCaprio has been absent for a while, but that could probably equal some sort of messiah status. Catch me if You Can is his first hit role in five years, so I think he might grab one.

FInally, is Tobey Maguire. How can you not nominate Spider-Man himself? He's a lock for a "nod", and is the most likely winner for this category.

Best Female Performance

Renee Zellweger, Chicago
Kate Hudson, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Naomi Watts, The Ring
Kirstin Dunst, Spider-Man
Reese Witherspoon, Sweet Home Alabama

For some reason, Salma Hayke for Frida is in the back of my head. It's an arthouse role, but they've been nominated before. Speaking of which, I left out Nicole Kidman, despite the fact most best actress winners get nominated in this category.

Renee Zellweggar's song and dance performance just seems a natural.

Kate Hudson is rather popular already, so it makes sense she would get nominated for a movie that was, you know, already a hit.

Naomi Watts and Jennifer Garner could very well swithc places. But the fact is, she's been the lead of an already recognized movie (Muholland Drive) so I think she'd get "promoted" rather quickly.

Kirstin Dunst-popular with the MTV audience, and many attest, a huge contributing factr in Spider-Man 's crossover appeal.

Reese Witherspoon will probably get the big spotlight. She's the biggest star of young Hollywood, plain and simple.

Best Comedic Performance

Adam Sandler, Mr. Deeds
Mike Myers, Goldmember
Hugh Grant, About a Boy
Eddie Griffin, Undercover Brother
Will Ferrel, Old School

I think Old School is eligible, hard to tell on account of the loopy time frame. You vote for best comedic performance to see who will put out the best speech, so Ferrell winning is soemthing to look foward to.

Myers and Sandler are the Tom Hanks of this category. Just do something, anything, so you can be nominated, guys.

Griffin is the black sheep, er dark horse, er X-Factor. Undercover Brother wasn't the laugh-out-loud movie of 2002, but it got some good notices, and there's nt immense competition out there anyways. Plus he was funny.

Hugh Grant is a pretty big star, and many felt it was his best performance, and there's enough room in this category.

Best Villain

Gollum, The Two Towers
Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York
Colin Farrel, Daredevil
Lara Flynn Boyle, Men in Black 2
Willam Dafoe, Spider-Man

Come on, it's all about Gollum. The best character of 2002 period. Daniel Day Lewis' top hat, walrus whiskers, and cleaver are a symbol of 2002. Farrel's hot right now, and his scenery-chewing should land him there. As for Lara Flynn Boyle-girl power!

Breakthrough Male

Tyler Hoechlin, Road to Perdition
Kierin Culkin. Igby Goes Down
Hayden Christianson, Episode II
DJ Qualls, The New Guy
Nick Cannon, Drumline

Breakthrough Female

Kate Bonsworth, Blue Crush
Mirando Otto, The Two Towers
Jennifer Garner, Daredevil
Rosario Dawson, The 25th Hour
Beyonce Knowles, Goldmember

Best Fight Scene

Christopher Lee vs. Yoda, Attack of the Clones,
Matt Damon vs. Those Guards or Whatever, The Bourne Identity,
Denise Richards vs. Aunjanue Ellis, Undercover Brother
Eminem vs Gang, Eight Mile

Best Action Sequence

Helm's Deep, The Two Towers
Avalanche, xXx
Horse is Hamburger, The Ring
Rocket Chase, Minority Report

I think the barroom brawl from Daredevil could land in here. I also felt if The Ring is going to be a best movie nod, it needs two other categories to appear in.

Best Kiss

Tobey Maguire and Kirstin Dunst, Spider-Man
Pierce Bronson and Halle Berry, Die Another Day
Diane Lane and Oliveier Martinez, Unfaithful
Reese Witherspoon and Josh Lucas, Sweet Home Alabama

I think Spider-Man is the only movie to actively chase an MTV Movie award, as they did when talking about the kissing scene. Tell me, did I miss any guy-on-guy or girl-on-on girl action this year?

Best Musical Sequence
Chicago Marionatte Scene
8-Mile Rap-Battle
Drumline Playoffs
um... Lilo and Stitch?

Best Onscreen Team
Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks Catch Me if You Can
Ben Affleck and Samuel Le Jackson Panic Room
Blade and the Vampires Blade II
Jodie Foster and Kirstin Stewart Panic Room
Viggo Mortenson, Orlando Bloom, and John Ryse Davies The Two Towers

Just going to say the ladies love Bloom, and there are no "supporting roles" per se, altough breakthrough, villain, and this are categories they can sneak into.

Best Movie

Spider-Man
The Two Towers
The Ring
8-Mile
Chicago

I think the only non-obvious candidate is The Ring . However, as Hannibal seemed to prove, kids love their horror movies, and The Ring is the consumate scary movie of 2002.

I don't think 8 Mile will be a big winner at all, but it seems and obvious choice as a nomination, especially since the movie was well-received.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Is there any doubt that Eminem will be winning their Best Actor award...and millions will exclaim that somebody finally got it right, and that the Oscars were a joke. ;)

I have to say that your predictions look amazingly good. If you had said that those were their actual noms, I would have believed you.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Seth. We'll see how accurate I am when the actual nods come out. I have a feeling in the back of my head that Daredevil might pull a Hannibal . (i.e. a movie that is generally viewed as a dissapointment still sneaks into the category, due to hype and being so recent).

The thing about the awards is, it's not even so much about the art of film, or even who the biggest stars are, so much as defining movie moments of the year. It's also rare a movie generally disliked by critics and movie buffs lands a best movie nod.

I wouldn't have even given 8 Mile so much love, except that it was, for all intents and purposes very well-reviewed. Not everyone loves the movie, but most have to give it props for being well made, and more then your usual musician-cum-movie star type pictures.

Matt, did you not like The Two Towers ? Because I think Gollum is the most likely candidate for that category. I do think he was one of the defening cinema icons of 2002.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
isn't it best onscreen duo and not team? in that case, i can see hanks and dicaprio getting it. i can't think of any other memorable duos from the past year...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think it's interchangeable. 2001 is was team. I know that because the X-Men were nominated.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Whoa, back up, I *LOVED* The Two Towers and have seen it 5 times in theaters (so far), but it didn't even cross my mind that Gollum was a villain until I read this thread. I don't think he belongs in the villain category.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, like I said, there isn't a "supporting actor" or such.

Also the category has been fairly loose. In that past the category has included Anthony Hopkins for Hannibal , Jim Carrey for The Grinch , and Sarah Michell Gellar for Cruel Intentions. None of the characters are really megolamaniacs, but it's really about the gimmick of category, not literary labels.

Schematics of the MTV Awards aside, I read "The Hobbit" before "Lord of the Rings" and got the impression of Gollum as an antagonist. In fact, he is the only biped in the book who can be classified as malicious.

Smeagol is a thief and a murderer. His torment over his own actions and his (failed attempts) at atonment does little to bely that Gollum is a fallen (fell) creature. While not morally bankrupt as Sauroman, he is certainly marginalized.

His depth as a character, I feel, is what has made him even more realized cinematically, and is what what enhances his likelihood in that cateogry, not disqualifies him.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Lifetime Achievement Recipient: Steve Guttenberg
Excellent choice but unfortunately that category has been done away with.
For those who don't know the story, the category started as a throw-away gag. Jason Vorhees of the Friday the 13th series won it (I believe it was Jon Lovitz under the mask). Other recipients were Jackie Chan (before Rumble in the Bronx made him a household name here), Godzilla and Chewbaca. Then they made the most perfect selection: Clint Howard. Known for his bit parts in brother Ron's movies and B-Grade starring roles, Clint was a the best choice ever. After this they realized they couldn't top it and thus the Lifetime Achievement award was never given out again.

I love the MTV Movie Awards for the appropriate categories and of course the Best Movie parodies. Looking forward to them.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, here are the official nominations:

Best Actor
Tobey Magire, Spider-Man
Eminem, Eight Mile
Vin Diesel, XXX
Viggo Mortenson, The Two Towers
Leonardo Dicaprio, Catch Me if You Can

Well, I figured Viggo would replace someone on the list, it turned out to be Adam.

Accuracy 80%

Best Female Performance
Queen Latifah, Chicago
Kate Hudson, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Halle Berry, Die ANother Day
Kirstin Dunst, Spider-Man
Reese Witherspoon, Sweet Home Alabama

Renee didn't get it, Queen did. I guess they'd go with the actual singer. I'm going to give myself five points extra for guessing the movie it's all right with you guys.

Acuracy 65%

Best Comedic Performance
Adam Sandler, Mr. Deeds
Mike Myers, Goldmember
Cedric D Entertainer, Barbershop
Johnny Knoville, Jackass
Will Ferrel, Old School

Why didn't I consider Knoxville? It was an MTV Movie after all. This, and Barbershop, where I got my ass kicked the most, and they both culminate here.

Accuracy 60%

Best Villain
Mike Myers Goldmember
Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York
Colin Farrel, Daredevil
Deveign Chase, The Ring
Willam Dafoe, Spider-Man

Well, Gollum was nominated for another category, thus leaving it open for perennial favourite Mike Myers. I predicted The Ring would get another vote somewhere, I didn't consider that little girl "the villain" though.

Accuracy 60%

Breakthrough Male
Eminem, 8-Mile
Kierin Culkin. Igby Goes Down
Ryan Reynolds, Van Wilder
Derek Luke, Antwone Fisher
Nick Cannon, Drumline

Eminem double-dips, and Ryan Reynolds ruins everything (didn't know anyone even saw Van Wilder .

Accuracy 40%

Breakthrough Female
Kate Bonsworth, Blue Crush
Eve , Barbershop
Jennifer Garner, Daredevil
Maggie Gylenhall, Secretary
Beyonce Knowles, Goldmember
Nia Vardalos My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Six nominees screws it up a little bit. Nia gets an obligatory nod, Eve rides in on Barbershop, and Maggie (who I replaced with somone else after posting this) grabs one.

Uh...50%?

Best Virtual Performance
Yoda Attack of the Clones
Gollum The Two Towers
Jack the Kangeroo Kangeroo Jack
Scooby Doo Scooby Doo
Dobby Chamber of Secrets

Best Fight Scene
Christopher Lee vs. Yoda, Attack of the Clones,
Fann Wong vs GuardsShangahai Knights
Jet Li vs. UF Cradle 2 the Grave
Johnny Knoxville vs Butetrbean, Jackass

What's with the Shanghai Knights love? it wasn't bad, but two nods? For a movie with an in-and-out profile? Guess that's what you get for being recent.

Accuracy 25%

Best Action Sequence
Helm's Deep, The Two Towers
Arena, Attack of the Clones
Highway Collion, Final Destination 2
Rocket Chase, Minority Report

Final Destination lands in here, proving the winter period is to the MTv Awards what the Holiday period is to the Oscars.

Accuracy 50%

Best Kiss
Tobey Maguire and Kirstin Dunst, Spider-Man
Nick Cannon and Zoe Saldana Drumline
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner , Daredevil
Leonardo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz , Gangs of New York
Adam Sandler and Emily Watson Punch Drunk Love

Wow. Totally got my ass handed to me on this one. Accuracy 20% (at best)

Best Onscreen Team
Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson Old School
Jackie Chan and Owen WilsonShanghai Knights
Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O, and Chris Pontious
Jackass
Kate Bosworth, Michelle Rodriguez, Sanoe Lake Blue Crush
Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, and Gollum The Two Towers

And I chose the wrong team from The two Towers

Accuracy 0%

Best Movie
Spider-Man
The Two Towers
The Ring
8-Mile
Chicago

And Barbershop sneaks in, making it the lowest grossing film to be nominated for MTV's "best movie" since the first Austin Powers.

Accuracy 80%

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Final Destination lands in here, proving the winter period is to the MTV Awards what the Holiday period is to the Oscars.
Yeah, and considering that JAN-MAR is the 2nd biggest dumping ground of the year, right behind SEPT, it's a bit depressing. Going with the summer flicks, more comedy and more MTV oriented films is one thing, but selecting from the shittiest part of the year is another.

At least they will probably have some great parodies, gags, and performances, which is why I watch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

What do they mean "virtual"? Wasn't Dobby played by Russian President, Vladimir Putin? They just made him shorter like the hobbits in LOTR. :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
This is why I can't stand MTV, they have become a complete mockery of their foundations. I know this isn't supposed to be the Oscars, but some of the picks make absolutely no sense, I guess, unless you are an MTV Vidiot, which I suppose that is who they pander to......sigh..

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I'm not surprised by the nomination for Adam Sandler and Emily Watson for Best Kiss. This nomination makes me so happy because it just tells you that some teenagers like myself have seen movies like "Punch-Drunk Love" and have spread the word about the great kiss. It's not a surprise that it has been nominated, but in my opinion, is the one to beat at the MTV Movie Awards.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You might be happy that teenagers have seen movies like "Punch Drunk Love" but I'm not so sure. MTV with these picks seem to just take whoever the most popular to teens and just picks them out of a hat for nominations. Sandler gets a "Best Comedic Performance" for Mr. Deeds!? He was the least funny person in that movie, which is saying alot because the movie sucked. If that "Comedic Performance" warrants a nomination then I'm Richard Friggin Pryor. Why not Eddie Griffin for "Undercover Brother?" not that UB was the funniest movie ever, but it and Eddie Griffin were 10 times funnier than Sandler and Mr Deeds (which is actually not saying much) When it comes to MTV, Sandler could put out a movie of him on the toilet and it would get at least 5 MTV movie award Noms. It just goes to show that any awards show by MTV is a popularity contest, and has no real value. Like I said, I'm not expecting the oscars, but at least the noms could have at least been legitamate. If LOTR: TTT doesn't win in the categories it is nominated for and loses to people like Sandler for sucky movies, I'll be saddened by teenage stupidity. Not that I'll be watching this thing anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks