What's new

MTN bike people, what's this bike reasonably worth? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's about a 1991-1992 specialized rockhopper. Always thought it was a good bike, but I've ridden it literally like 3 times on the street and it's just sat around so maybe someone else has a use for it.

I realize bike technology has changed a lot in 10 years, but it's got to be worth something, $50? Also, how do I know what size it is? it measures 32" from the crossmember to the ground?

http://www.whereyou.at/philip/bike1.jpg
http://www.whereyou.at/philip/bike2.jpg

if it doesn't have an engine on it, it doesn't interest me anymore I'm afraid :frowning:

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Looks like 200GS component spec, cro-mo main triangle and hi-tensile steel fork. Looks like it's in good shape.

However, I think the only crowd that would have any interest in it would be messangers (strip it down for a single speed). Having said that, you would probably be hard pressed to get $50 from them.

If you really need to offload it, I'd try a pawn shop. You might get lucky and find a staff member who recognizes the Specialized name (still very prominent in the bike world) but not recognize the age of the bike.

Technology has changed lite years in ten years in mountain bikes. Unbelievably so. I would imagine that this bike weighs ~35-40lbs, right? That's very heavy by today's standards (downhill/free rides not apply).

Keep it or do the pawn shop. Maybe a garage sale. I'd think it'd be hard to offload as an item in the local paper.

Jason

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Noooo less than 35 pounds, it's faily light.. in it's day it was supposed to be a light bike, but was not terribly expensive, in the $450 range.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It would be perfect for a college student biking to campus. Or someone just wanting a cheap bike for leisurely riding.

Since you can get a cheap Walmart bike for about $120, I'd guess you couldn't sell yours for more than about $50.

Or, you could mount a motor on it, so it meets your current criteria ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

that would kick ass, or if I could turn it into an electric/fuel cell bike like the aprilia anjoys!

still waiting for house pics, BTW :angry:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Just as a point of reference I recently purchased a Gary Fisher mountain bike for $500, it has a good front suspension, 27 speeds, and an aluminium frame. Even the cheaper trecs that go for around $300 have an aluminium frame, 24 speeds, and front suspension. I don't think an older mountain bike could be worth much at all. $50 is probably a decent asking price.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I had to wait for my brother to get home, but further point of reference:

My brother's 1994 Stumpjumper Comp (full XT) went for $200. This should put things in perspective. His bike was clean as well.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I would try to sell it for somewhere between $50-$100 if you are near a college campus or something.

Realistically, it could be worth something if you have the right demographics. However, looking at it, if one is looking for upgradability, it appears to have a threaded fork and perhaps a 1" steerer which means upgrading to say suspension would be harder and expensive. It's also probably a 7-8spd which are becoming rarer these days to get parts for. My commuter bike is a '95 Marin team but I've replaced practically everything but the frame itself.

If the bike is really clean, you might be able to sell it for $100-$150 to the right person who doesn't care about the stuff, other than the wheels spin and the gears sort of shift. But any knowledgable bike person probably wouldn't want to spend more than $50 for it. In other words, try to sell it to poor college students looking for just cheap transportation. Don't try somebody looking to actually mountain bike. YMMV, of course..

Jay

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

OT, but I miss the days when an 8 speed cassette was the norm. With a nine, I'm always seemingly shifting (I'd rather torque some gears than spin 24/7).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Woohoo! My very first stalker! ;)

I'm terrible. But I've not had time to snap shots and get them online. I know, I'm letting work interfere with the important things in life.

Back to the bike: any neighborhood garage sales you could sell it at, next Spring? What about Ebay? It seems people there are always paying too much for stuff.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nah. I'm sick of looking at it, if I don't get any bites on craigslist it'll go out with the trash next thursday.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Please don't throw it away. Seriously. Isn't there a Goodwill or Salvation Army or other charitable foundation you can give it to. They'll find a good home for it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Or if not salvation army.... How about Pedals For Progress. Contact them, see if you can drop it off or wait til their next collection date (might not be til next spring)..

http://www.p4p.org/

That bike would be a good match for them...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The actual value, not the replacement value, I'd expect. I doubt you can deduct a new bike value of $500 for a $50, ten year old used bike. But check with your accountant to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks