What's new

MTM - season 4 : We've made it halfway after all! (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
wow, season 4 is coming out on 6/20!!!! hard to believe it was little over a year ago when we were worried that season 2 was never coming. Keep up the good work Fox!

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Good news.

I know there's no reason to expect any special features, since there weren't any on season three... but wouldn't it be nice to get an audio commentary on "The Lars Affair" with Cloris Leachman and Betty White?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Something I just realized: on The Golden Girls, Rose's maiden name was Lindstrom. Could this have been more than a coincidence?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As much as I would like one of the sets have audio commentaries, I am just thrilled that more seasons are being released. I was afraid Season 1 would be the only season of my favorite sitcom that I would get to watch on DVD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
great news! i'll be ordering 3 and 4 at the same time- hopefully this will be just in time for a certain e-tailers 20% off sale.

isn't this the big Superman day as well?
my wish-list by then is going to be busting at the seams.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
Season 4 is on the way ...YEAY....I had my fingers crossed that the sets would continue.

Fortunately I missed the 2+ years wait between seasons 1 and 2. I didn't get linked into the TV Shows on DVD craze until last summer when 1 and 2 were already out. So I had a short wait for S3, and have had my fingers crossed that sales would be sufficient to warrant a continuation of the season sets.

Does any one know if Rhoda is anywhere on the radar screen for future release?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Excellent news for fans of classic TV. And it gives hope that other shows like this will continue to be released.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
MTM airs on TVLand Canada. Thank God for DVD, but it's unfortunate that an entire generation won't be able to enjoy this inconic series.

Andy

Bad news on the bonus feature front. After sending a question to Matt Asner (the coproducer of the material on seasons 1/2) about the status of the future of bonus material on the remaining MTMS sets, he had this to say

"Mark,

Thank you for your email and your letter. It means a lot to my partner and I that our work was so well received. Unfortunately Fox has been very silent in regards to anything in terms of extras for the remaining seasons. It looks to us that their intention is to release the remaining seasons without any additional material.

My advice to anyone who wants to see that changed would be to write Fox Home Video and let them know how you feel. We as a company feel there is a great deal of content that can be created to enrich the remaining seasons.

Once again, thanks for the email.

Matthew Asner and Danny Gold"

As follow-up, I asked him to whom we should direct our mail. He responded: "Peter Staddon".

Sandy McLendon, the moderator of another forum I belong to had this repsonse to the issue of bonus material, which relates to another thread concerning the interviewing of those from classic TV and film:

"I think it would be most productive if the people at Fox were the ones we wrote to, asking them to consider reinstating special features on future DVD releases of TMTMS. At the least, they should be working with Asner's company to shoot interviews with cast and crew for future releases, whether they feel the time is right to release them or not. As I've said, ain't none of us gettin' any younger, and that applies to the people of TMTMS just as much as it applies to those of us out here in the audience. While some investment would be required to produce interviews, that investment should pay off handsomely in years to come; there can be new "Special Editions" of TMTMS seasons that have such interviews as extras. Remember, just because something is out on DVD does not mean that there will never be extras- Fox is one of the industry leaders when it comes to repackaging material for new DVD editions. How many "Star Wars" DVD editions have there been, right?

So, my opinion is that we need to keep courteous, respectful pressure on the folks at Fox. In their professional judgement, the time is NOT right for release of TMTMS with a lot of extras now, and since it's their money they're gambling with, I guess that's fair enough for the moment. At least they are releasing the rest of the seasons, one by one! But- if we keep reminding them that we want more material, the day may soon come when they consider it worth their corporate while to do new editions."

I say we start letting Fox know the value of continuing with this great material.

Here's Peter Staddon's address at Fox:

Mr Peter Staddon
Senior Vice President, Marketing
Twentieth Century–Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90213-0900
USA

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to finally get the first episodes of Betty White. And yes, June 20 (it's release date) is when WB is bringing out tons of Superman titles (Superboy, Adv. of Superman, Lois & Clark, etc.) due to the new Superman movie which comes out 10 days later.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So are we all going to write to Peter?Any email address we can find? I want Bonus material especially on Season 7. They must have tons of stuff available to put on there.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm thrilled that we are at the half-way mark for Mary. This is also kind of a sad season since it is the last season with Rhoda. The characer of Rhoda just added so much to the show.

I hope with increase in sales for both Mary and Bob Newhart, that eventually we'll get Rhoda and maybe Phyliss. If Sony can release both seasons of That's My Mama, then Fox can release Phyliss. While Phyliss wasn't as strong of a show, it still had its moments. If we never get Phyliss, then I can live with just Mary, Bob and Rhonda but I have to have Rhoda.

Mikel:

I can't find an email address for Mr. Staddon. Please don't let that discourage you from taking a minute to send off a polite request to Fox to give the green light to Mod 3 (Matt Asner's company)to continue producing great bonus material for the MTMS sets to come!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I got an advance copy; all the episodes appear to be uncut except one, and it's a rather odd cut: The episode "The Co-Producers" is missing exactly one line amounting to about 10 seconds of footage. It's when Lou says:

Murray's line is missing. I'm going to assume that somebody cut that line because they didn't want to deal with getting permission from the Rodgers and Hammerstein estate to quote from "The Sound of Music."

From this and other changes I assume that the prints Fox is using for these DVDs (and probably the Remington Steele DVDs too) come from the mid-'90s when the collapsing MTM changed almost anything music-related in its old shows. The good news is, IIRC, MTM did not change the renditions of "One For My Baby" and "Steam Heat" in the episode "Murray Can't Lose," so that episode should be OK when that season (season 6?) comes out.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Jaime, thank you for the warning.

Big thumbs down from me for this laziness. Fox distributes the R&H musicals on DVD so it's not like they don't already have a relationship with them.

I gave them a pass on the S1 edit of White Christmas because the Berlin estate can be very difficult to deal with and Fox deserved the benefit of the doubt on this. However this seems like a situation that could have been worked out.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Pretty soon I guess a company will have to pay through the nose if a TV character just merely says the words "Happy Birthday" to someone on the air. (After all, it would be a sin to say that phrase unless we pay somebody $1000 for the "rights" to the song "Happy Birthday To You". :))

And Murray wasn't even "singing" the little R&H-written phrase. He merely spoke the words. Seems ridiculous IMO. Every little thing uttered needs to be "cleared" by somebody. Pffftttt. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks