MST3k question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Justin_D, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Was MST3k The Movie (This Island Earth) ever released on DVD? I found one on Amazon, but it was like $300, making me think either a) Its impossible to get or 2) Ripoff! I'd put my money on the latter, which would lead to it being only released on VHS.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes, it was released on DVD by Image (Universal had a dispute with them concerning pricing and yanked all the Image licenced Universal titles) but it is indeed very hard to get and as far as I am concerned $300 is a ridiculous price to pay....you could hold out hope that Universal will re-release it on DVD but.......time will tell.

3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Post Deleted, as it was answered in the post above.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a copy of this dvd, it's nonanamorphic widescreen and barebones but pq is quite good. Didn't know it was so rare! It is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

5. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

For those of us who are lucky enough to own it, a real dilemma is at hand.:

Sell now and make a much needed $300, but run the risk of never seeing it on DVD again

or

Have it be rendered 100% worthless by a likely Universal re-issue in the next year or so.

Being that Universal also owns the rights to This Island Earth, a re-issue seems likely. But who knows.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Likely? This IS Universal we're talking about. They are great at sitting on titles for no apparent reason. The MST box sets seem to be doing reasonably well, so that might light a fire under Universal in getting a title out that's in demand.

Bruce

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Universal is slowly-but-surely releasing all of the titles they licensed to Image, so I'd wait. I have the LD, so it's easy for me to say, but it looks like almost all of the Universal-Image titles (save for some of the classic films like "Double Indemnity") have been rereleased, most with anamorphic enhancement-- "Slaughterhouse Five," which I've seen on Amazon for nearly $150, is coming out in May.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Don't forget that the subject of the movie, THIS ISLAND EARTH, was also briefly available through Image and also has not yet been issued by Universal on DVD. The company might not be terribly anxious to release the MST3K episode that makes mincemeat out of their pretty decent sci-fi flick which many of us hope will come out as an uncut and restored edition on its own. If they do both emerge, I'd be interested to see which comes first: the real thing or the parody.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Huh. Didn't realize this one had so much value. Between it and my first-edition copy of "Little Shop of Horrors" (with unapproved but better ending, IMHO) I feel like I stumbled on some "gems" [​IMG]

10. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The picture quality is stunning for a non-anamorphic release. I rank MST3k: The Movie as one of the finest titles I own. And it is very funny. Mike and the bots are in spectacular form.

The problem with the movie is it's too damn short! It's not even a full TV-length episode. I wish I could see the full-length version (if it was even filmed).

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Yeah, I've got the MST3K LD, too. Had to special order it when it came out.

I wouldn't give up the DVD, but I wonder how much the LD would fetch? [​IMG]

...Probably about 5 bucks... [​IMG]

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If I were Universal, I'd release them together as a 2-disc set.

But yes, it was officially released on DVD and was readily available for under $10. You snooze, you lose. [​IMG]

13. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Feh, I saw the original stage version of MST3K ripping "This Island Earth." It all pales in comparison. [​IMG]

(/geek)

Phil

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yeah, Uni! We'd like this one AND Flash Gordon!

Thanks! [​IMG]

15. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I am a HUGE MST3K fan. I regard one of the great tragedies in my life to be not getting into the show sooner. Then I would have known about the live shows and conventions that were held. To have been at a live riffing at a theater would have been a real treat. Oh well, I have my collection of every episode on VHS and DVD, not to mention The movie on DVD and LD. I shouldnt complain too much. Hi-Keeba!

p.s. 1000th post! Now with hinder 90!

16. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I am also a huge MSTie, and I don't know if you are anywhere near Austin, TX, but there is a WONDERFUL comedy troupe called heheh..."Mr. Sinus 3000" who does the same concept in a live theater. It is three guys who have been doing it for several years now at the Alamo Drafthouse downtown and have a very loyal following, they are immensely talented. Plus, they get to do big release movies...I've seen Masters of the Universe, Lost Boys, Top Gun, Xanadu(!), Terminator, and my favorite, SPEED. I leave every time with my sides split and of course pretty drunk. The crowd is always loud and bawdy, gotta love the Drafthouse. The guys are going to slice up Pretty in Pink this weekend, I am pumped!