MST3K movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Is there going to be a Re-Release of MST3K the Movie or is the OOP version going to be the only version for years to come? Should I bite the bullet and find the old version?

2. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

I am going through the same thing with Demon Knight. I have been getting out bid on e-bay,and I just can't bring myself to spend 40 or 50 dollars on one movie. I think MST3K is going for more then that.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ask Universal, they seem to enjoy sitting on the Image-licensed titles

No rumblings from the Brains on MST3K

Demon Knight- Who knows. I'm glad I got both for $10 each at Suncoast a year or so ago

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

gggrrrrr, its not fair!
    I want MST3K:TM but 80+ bucks for it......whew!

5. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I'd rebuy this in a sec if they did a nice anamorphic special edition with all of the cut footage and the original ending.

The OOP disc is as bare-bones as they come.

6. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

The absolute irony of this situation is that apparently Image got their license for this title taken away after Universal accused them of, get this, pricing this title (and some others) too LOW. Well, they sure ain't priced too low now. I got mine a couple of months before it happened, I'm sure glad I did. Should have bought ten! [​IMG]

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I was surprised that this was so hard to find and as much as I enjoy the movie I'm not going to fork over 50+ dollars for a used bare-bones edition. A re-release would definitely be in order, especially as there are other MST3K releases coming out now on DVD which should further help sales.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jason, actually, that's only HALF true
    Image only bought the rights to the titles for 3 years, and about 8 months before the license was to run out, they cut the prices wayyy down in order to clear out their backstock. Universal got pissy, and they started fighting. By the time they finished fighting, Image was mostly out of discs anyway [​IMG]

9. Corey * C

Corey * C Extra

Even though I own 2 copies of MST3K the Movie (previously clueless of their current value), I would without hesitation purchase a new SE. I had not heard of deleted scenes or an alternate ending....[​IMG]
    I'm curious if anyone knows - What other MST3K DVDs are on the schedule? Will these new DVDs be the same ones already released on VHS, or is there any hope we can look for "new" episodes?
    I LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE MST3K, but was not fortunate enough to see it during its TV run, minus "Puma Man". All I have are the 15 or so tapes and the few that were replaced with DVDs. I want season sets!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jeff Kleist

There will never be season sets of MST3K
    Any new discs require Rhino to get rights, they're working on it, but classics like "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" aren't coming any time soon [​IMG]

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

12. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Ahhhh...okay Jeff, thanks for the clarification. My memory is a bit hazy, it kinda happened a while back! [​IMG]

13. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I would say there's a decent chance we'll be seeing a re-release from Universal in the semi-near future. They recently begun to tap into the catalog that was licensed to Image. Silent Running, Cat People and some the Bob Hope Road To... comedies have all been redone with new transfers and some nice extras. I'm probably forgetting a few. Hopefully we'll start to see more soon.