What's new

MSRP on Pioneer 47Ai and Upcoming Relacement? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had the 45a for a few months and then moved to the 47ai. In spite of my desire for the 59AVi, I do really like the 47ai. Impeccable CD, DVD-A, and SACD performance. Likewise with DVDs.

As far as the chroma bug, I have had two 32" CRT TVs hooked up to it, and have never seen it. But, I have never gone looking for it either. I'm told, once you know what to look for, that's all you see and then you have to go with a non-chroma bug player. :)

One thing I like about the 47ai that I don't believe that the 45a had, is a specific set of canned video settings for CRT TVs.

Just also be aware that BM with DVD-A is not perfect. Brian can chime in, but it doesn't work with some/most 4.0 DVD-A's.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, since you had the chance of testing out both players can you tell me is it worth an extra $260 to upgrade to the 47ai? Im more interested in the audio performance of these two players.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ben- Oooh man. First, I'd say look around for prices, because I got the 47ai for about $200 more than the 45a, but that was a while ago too.

Let me put it this way: I would say that the video improvements out shine the audio improvements by just a hair. So depending on the mix of movies vs CDs, you use your system for... Plus, if you're planning on having the player for a while, I'd probably suggest going for the 47ai. The 47ai is a better built player, but everybody has their own reasons for what they spend for what player. Actually, one of the only reasons why I did upgrade from the 45a was that the light weight bothered me personally. To be honest, I actually was 100% happy with the audio performance from the 45a. I don't know if any of that helps, but ... :)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just also be aware that BM with DVD-A is not perfect. Brian can chime in, but it doesn't work with some/most 4.0 DVD-A's.
Right. And it does not seem to redirect the .1 to the mains if you have all large/no sub (at least with DVD-A. Do not know about SACD, but it does seem OK with DD and DTS).

And that is all based on the Chesky Ultimate DVD test tracks. FWIW, Steve_AS was in contact with someone at Chesky about that, but I do not know what became of that conversation.

In any event, this is easily solved with an ICBM.

BGL

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I have two 4.0 DVD-As; one by EMI and another from a smaller label (the first is a disc of music by Messaien, the second by Subotnik). The 45a doesn't do BM on the EMI DVD-A tracks, but it does on the Subotnik.

I suspect that all the EMI DVD-A rereleases of their old quad albums may exhibit this behavior, but I haven't confirmed that.

This only applies to the DVD-A tracks, btw; the DD 4.0 tracks on the EMI disc work fine.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
And that is all based on the Chesky Ultimate DVD test tracks. FWIW, Steve_AS was in contact with someone at Chesky about that, but I do not know what became of that conversation.
Basically, the Chesky contact couldn't figure out what might be going on either, though it wqas gracious of him to have a go at my questions .;>

my report of that phone conversation is here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...85#post1649685

But the 45a certainly *can* do redirection of bass to sub, for 4.0 DVD-A material. Whether it *will*, depends on who made the disc, apparently.

Here are links to two of my bass management reports for the 45a

the biggie (edited and reformatted considerably since first posting):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...49#post1458749

and the follow-up re: 4.0

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...34#post1656634

Btw, I'm still interested to hear from anyone, regarding whether LPCM vs. PPCM might be the cause of different BM behavior for DVD-A 4.0 in the 45a. (The EMI disc DVD-A tracks read as PPCM , while the Subotnik DVD-A 4.0 tracks read as LPCM).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, one more thing that neither of the 45a, 47ai, and 2900 can do, but kind of on the fringes of whether it would matter or not: if you do not have a center channel, none of those players will redirect the center channel into the L & R mains for SACD and DVD-A. (Phantom center.) Works for DD/DTS, just not for multichannel audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks