MSNBC - A home theater system for under $1,000

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ThomasC, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I own that Samsung TV. And as soon as Comcast offers HD in my area, I'll be able to fully utilize it. Until then, DVDs and Xbox looks great.

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Well, Mr. Krakow started off okay. The 26in. Samsung will certainly get you started in the world of HD.

That one-piece, multi-channel speaker looks like it will make a great coaster for my 44 ounce Super Big Gulp and that sub will make a great foot stool. Thanks for the decorating tips, Mr. Krakow.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

the "6 channel single speaker surround sound system" [​IMG]

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The MSN guy had another article we were laughing at, some months back. Maybe somebody knows the link to the other thread?

Good luck Embarassing the Denon DVD-910 @ $300ish or the Zenith DVB-318 upconverting player @ $249

And the $99 "multichannel" speaker + subwoofer is a joke. My $99 Sony WM20 subwoofer is a joke already. I can't imagine a sub and a speaker at that pricepoint providing "convincing surround sound".

This guy's articles are always a joke. It's like J6P writing about HT.

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

How revolutionary! [​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, I saw this yesterday.

The Samsung? Check. Good starter HDTV (or second display for bedroom).

The Pioneer DVD player? Check. Fine machine, on a par with just about any other sub-$200 player, as far as I am concerned. Picture quality is consistent across the board at this price point. Heck, you could do just as well with a cheaper Sony 725. But whatever.

The Radio Shack thing? Talk about trying to slip in under the radar. This is the fatal move. I'd rather listen to headphones while saving up for any number of entry-level sat/sub speaker suites. And the amplification needed to drive them. Energy Take 5.2, for example, driven by a Denon AVR-1804. Street prices for these pieces can be sweet.

With this Radio Shack nonsense, you'll run the risk of turning newcomers off. Really now.

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yeah, the TV seems decent enough.

I can't imagine using one speaker for my playing of Battlefield 1942. Good seperation of channels is a must have or you won't last long in game. Knowing EXACTLY where the enemy is firing from is key or consider yourself dead.

Perhaps his next review for "intermediate" HT buffs will feature the Bose 3-2-1.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    That speaker is just plain stupid.

Michael, word up! got have separation while playing Battlefield, Counterstrike, Call of Duty etc. You'd be emptying clips and not hitting anything.

At least Mr. Krakow could have suggested this beauty:

HTiB for $88.64

Oh my, look at the "May we also suggest" column. Would you like an $80 power center to go with your $88 dollar home theater system. [​IMG]

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My 85 year old father is a bit hearing impaired and often complains of not being able to distinguish dialog on many dvds, which he plays thru the tinny little speakers on his otherwise decent 32" JVC television set. I tried to tell him this was not the fault of the dvd format but was due to the crappy speakers in his tv, but absolutely cannot interest him in any kind of surround sound system that would require rear speakers or any kind of calibration.

That Ratshack setup, while not imho even beginning to meet the most rudimentary definition of Home Theater Audio would no doubt be a huge improvement for someone like my dad at a price that makes it well worth trying for his purposes.

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Really? I find that hard to believe.

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The RS speakers got me interested actually, since I would like something like that for the computer. Might have to check it out.

/Mike